On Speed

Old January 24th 06, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mighty_mark

Default On Speed

Hi,
Just wondered if anyone has used the On Speed software with a
broadband connection? just wondered if it really made any difference,
and if it did , does it with everything or just webpages? newsgroups?
P2P?

Thanks

--
Mighty_mark
Old January 24th 06, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George

"Mighty_mark" wrote in message

Hi,
Just wondered if anyone has used the On Speed software with a
broadband connection? just wondered if it really made any difference,
and if it did , does it with everything or just webpages? newsgroups?
P2P?

Thanks

--
Mighty_mark

Onspeed works with compression techniques to reduce the amount of data
needing to be transferred from a website etc. It only scores where the data
being transferred can be compressed. Images and text lend themselves well
to compression, and so with this type of data, onspeed does actually improve
the speed at which a website loads up, if you are on a very restricted
bandwidth (dial-up etc). On the other hand, transferring a file that is
already compressed, for example a zipped or Rar file, then onspeed would not
improve anything with this type of transfer as the data is already
compressed. Onspeed, basially works by compressing the data before
transfer. It is also worth noting that any images that make up a website
are displayed at poorer quality when onspeed is enabled (due to compression
and quality loss of the image data).

I would say, that if you are on a broadband connection, you would be better
off not having onspeed. It would make the same improvements by compressing
certain types of data, but with the speed being that much faster than a
dial-up connection, you wouldn't see the improvement and any images on
websites etc would suffer from being compressed, when you don't really need
them to be, as you have more bandwidth at your disposal to start with.

My fianl thoughts. If you are on a dial-up connection or similar, then yes
onspeed will improve the speed at which websites load up, but if you are on
broadband, you are better off not bothing with onspeed. I have also seen
reference to onspeed or similar being used with GPRS connections via a
mobile phone. For GPRS activity, onspeed would save you money by reducng
the amount of data you transfer when browsing websites, so in the situation
it may well be useful.

Regards

George

Old January 24th 06, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Staples

"George" wrote in message

[...]

It's slower as it uses a proxy server which appears to be overloaded and
hence give a slow response to those web sites etc which arn't cached.

Old January 24th 06, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Pollard

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:08:41 +0000, Mighty_mark
wrote:

Hi,
Just wondered if anyone has used the On Speed software with a
broadband connection? just wondered if it really made any difference,
and if it did , does it with everything or just webpages? newsgroups?
P2P?

Thanks

I have tried Onspeed with both dial up and now broadband. In my opinion,
it makes no difference whatsoever and can at times slow your system
down. I will definitely not be paying them anything to use this system.
HTH.

Ian
Old January 25th 06, 12:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George

"Ian Pollard" wrote in message

I have tried Onspeed with both dial up and now broadband. In my opinion,
it makes no difference whatsoever and can at times slow your system
down. I will definitely not be paying them anything to use this system.
HTH.

Ian

Do they offer a trial?

Old January 25th 06, 08:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy

wrote:

Hi,
Just wondered if anyone has used the On Speed software with a
broadband connection? just wondered if it really made any difference,
and if it did , does it with everything or just webpages? newsgroups?
P2P?

Thanks

I have tried Onspeed with both dial up and now broadband. In my opinion,
it makes no difference whatsoever and can at times slow your system
down. I will definitely not be paying them anything to use this system.
HTH.

Ian

I agree - I personally found the advertising which offers broadband
speeds on dialup very misleading - it may do this on cached pages, but
it certainly does not during general surfing. For example, in order
ro achieve a noticeable download speed improvement, I had to set the
image quality to it's lowest setting. You may just as well turn off
images in Internet Explorer.

I did not renew and could not in all honesty recommend it to anyone.
Old January 25th 06, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mick

wrote:

[...]

This thread just reminded me that I am on a free trial at the moment. I
turned it off as it was annoying me with the days left announcement and I
forgot all about it. It was on a free trial offer without credit card
details being required. They then offered me another 14 days as they had
improved the service. Cannot say if it is better because as I say I had
forgotten about it. Original free offer was on the 'zdnet' site and I didn't
notice any great difference but hard to say as throughput rate has been
erratic the last few weeks.

Old January 25th 06, 01:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Pollard

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 00:05:28 -0000, "George"
wrote:

SNIP

Do they offer a trial?

Yes, they do offer a free trial. I used to be a subscriber when I had
dial up but even then, the service was, in my opinion, not as good as
they promised. I left them when I got broadband. I decided to give them
a try when they e-mailed me and offered a free trial on my broadband but
decided not to continue as their nag box telling me how many days left
on the trial was a nuisance and Onspeed made no noticeable difference in
speed for me. Just my opinion, others may have had a better experience
with them.

Ian
Old January 26th 06, 12:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Taylor

"Andy" wrote in message
I agree - I personally found the advertising which offers broadband
speeds on dialup very misleading - it may do this on cached pages, but
it certainly does not during general surfing. For example, in order
ro achieve a noticeable download speed improvement, I had to set the
image quality to it's lowest setting. You may just as well turn off
images in Internet Explorer.

I did not renew and could not in all honesty recommend it to anyone.

I'm sorry, you are incorrect. They have a high-speed backbone, and when on a
slow connection, such as when using 56k or GPRS through a mobile-phone, you
access a website that isn't in their cache, they can fetch it in next to no
time at all.

It definitely works with GPRS, and is in fact very useful if you travel
about.