Migrating ADSL from one line to another

Old January 25th 06, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve C

Default Migrating ADSL from one line to another

Hi Folks,

A week or so ago I started out on a "cost cutting exercise" and one of
the things I'm tasked with is to sort out my telephone and mobile
costs.
I have 2 lines coming into my house - one for business and one for
personal. ADSL is on the business line - to which I still pay for (as
it's my own business) - I don't need the line as it's seldom used for
any calls, and is just used for the ADSL.

My BB is with Eclipse and I tried to get them to "migrate" the ADSL
from the business line to the personal line. They wont do it -
without a fee. And it's not a move - it's a cease and provide.
Problem with this is I have a /29 static ip range and this would get
lost in the move, making the move even more painful. (Hardware
Firewall config changes, DNS changes, ADSL router config changes, NAT
config to hosted services etc)
To be honest I don't want to have to go through faffing with configs.

I then considered if I'd got to do a cease and provide - just to do a
cease with Eclipse- and sod off elsewherer. So I considered Pipex
with their 19.99 offering along with 1000 minutes inclusive calls.
And have all this put on my home line. I could then ditch the busines
line.

Anyhow - it doesn't seem they offer a /29 static IP range - I can get
a single static IP - but that isn't any good for what I need it for.
I tried to call Pipex Sales to see if I could get a /29 - but after
20 minutes listening to music and not speaking to anyone - I hung up.

Bottom line is business line needs to go and so the ADSL goes with it.

Can anyone think of the most painless way of doing this?

After the hassle so far I'm half tempted to just leave it as it is,
and pay BT for the line rental on the second line - but that would be
foolish if there's a good way to save .

Just thought i'd see how others would tackle the problem in a painless
fashion!
Any thoughts welcome.

Cheers

Steve.

Old January 25th 06, 12:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve C

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:00:31 +0000, "Alex, Boosbeck."
wrote:

Can not contact BT, ask them to cancel the personal line, and
transfer the no across to the business line?

Alex.

Hey Alex - I didn't think of that - does the ADSL have no ties
whatsoever with the phone number - is it just with the physical line?
IOW - a phone number change doesn't affect ADSL at all?

Steve.
Old January 25th 06, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

wrote:

Can not contact BT, ask them to cancel the personal line, and
transfer the no across to the business line?

Alex.

Hey Alex - I didn't think of that - does the ADSL have no ties
whatsoever with the phone number - is it just with the physical line?
IOW - a phone number change doesn't affect ADSL at all?

Steve.

Make sure you tell your ISP of the new number & tell BT you will want ADSL
to remain IN FORCE on the new number. Otherwise, you could find your ADSL
disappears a few weeks later, which is still a possibility, even if you do
the above.
Old January 26th 06, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Steve C wrote:
I have 2 lines coming into my house - one for business and one for
personal. ADSL is on the business line - to which I still pay for (as
it's my own business) - I don't need the line as it's seldom used for
any calls, and is just used for the ADSL.

Along with the other advice given in this thread, you might like to see
whether BT can/will let you migrate your home number to your business
line, and then re-apply the old business number as a "call-sign" number
onto what's now your new home line. That way you get to keep both numbers
but use only one line.

Just a thought.
Chris
Old January 26th 06, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

Make the private number a call sign number on the business line.

Slightly more cost, but quicker call out for faults.

Can anyone think of the most painless way of doing this?

Old January 29th 06, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Steve C writes:

I then considered if I'd got to do a cease and provide - just to do a
cease with Eclipse- and sod off elsewherer. So I considered Pipex
with their 19.99 offering along with 1000 minutes inclusive calls.
And have all this put on my home line. I could then ditch the busines
line.

Anyhow - it doesn't seem they offer a /29 static IP range - I can get
a single static IP - but that isn't any good for what I need it for.
I tried to call Pipex Sales to see if I could get a /29 - but after
20 minutes listening to music and not speaking to anyone - I hung up.

Bottom line is business line needs to go and so the ADSL goes with it.

I did something similar. What can make this easier is to have an
overlap of the two ADSL services, which is easy as they're on
different lines. This gives you time to transfer things across,
get the external things which know your static IP addresses
changed, and can be done with no interruption. My firewall is
a PC into which I added an extra ethernet card, so I could have
both ADSL services connected to my network during the transition.

--
Andrew Gabriel