Adding second NTE5 socket for ADSL filtering

Old January 25th 06, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Adding second NTE5 socket for ADSL filtering

I've changed the faceplate on the BT master socket to an ADSL filtered
one which also gived two IDC unfiltered outputs at the rear (from
clarity.it). My normal phone extensions are then wired into the IDC
filtered outputs and the A/B unfiltered lines have been taken upstairs
to the 'office'. Note that this is all at the consumer side of the BT
socket - no tampering with the BT side required!

If I install a second NTE5 'master' socket with an ADSL faceplate to
the unfiltered extension, I should get my ADSL signal OK, however I
have been looking online and some people say that you shouldn't add a
second NTE5 because of the extra capacitance this imposes on the line
(which can show as a line fault if BT test it?).

My question is this; as ADSL filters only use 2&5, and include their
own ring capactors for the phone side anyway - and there could be
several of these around the house - does this not also increase the
capacitance on the line in the same way as a second NTE5 would?

So which of the following would be true?
- a second NTE5 would *not* show as a fault to BT (i.e. this is a red
herring)
- it would show as a fault for everyone who uses ADSL filters for
broadband as they all have ring capacitors,
- I'm missing something else (which I'm sure you'll help me out with
if it's the case!).

Cheers,
Colin.

Old January 25th 06, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Sucuba Dude

wrote in message
oups.com...
"however I
have been looking online and some people say that you shouldn't add a
second NTE5 because of the extra capacitance this imposes on the line
(which can show as a line fault if BT test it?)."

(1) It won't show as a fault - quite the contrary, it will test ok
(2) The extra capacitance in theory may make a difference but in practice
it's less likey to cause a problem than it would be to wire an extension
2,3 & 5 (issues with the bell wire)
(3) Go ahead and try it. What have you got to loose?!

Old January 25th 06, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

wrote:
[...]

I don't know why you would want a second NTE5, wouldn't something like this
be easier?
http://www.clarity.it/acatalog/adsl_extensions.html

Old January 25th 06, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Ron Lowe

Why not use one of these on your unfiltered extension instead?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GPADSLS.html

Provides both filtered and unfiltered output at your office, without adding
a second ring capacitor.

--
Ron

oups.com...

Old January 25th 06, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

If I install a second NTE5 'master' socket with an ADSL faceplate to
the unfiltered extension, I should get my ADSL signal OK, however I
have been looking online and some people say that you shouldn't add a
second NTE5 because of the extra capacitance this imposes on the line
(which can show as a line fault if BT test it?).

I don't know why you would want a second NTE5, wouldn't something like
this
be easier?
http://www.clarity.it/acatalog/adsl_extensions.html

I already have a second NTE5 available to me. Thanks for the reply
though!

Just snip the capacitor leads and remove it. Job done!

Peter Crosland

Old January 26th 06, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Sucuba Dude

"Ron Lowe" wrote in message
.. .
Why not use one of these on your unfiltered extension instead?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GPADSLS.html

You actually tried these? I fitted 5 of them to a place last year from TLC
(who's service is ace) and they were trash. Had to rip them out. 2 went
faulty in a week and the other 3 just failed to remove much of the noise.
You get what you pay for! That's just my experience.

Old January 26th 06, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Ron Lowe

"Sucuba Dude" wrote in message

"Ron Lowe" wrote in message
.. .
Why not use one of these on your unfiltered extension instead?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GPADSLS.html

You actually tried these? I fitted 5 of them to a place last year from TLC
(who's service is ace) and they were trash. Had to rip them out. 2 went
faulty in a week and the other 3 just failed to remove much of the noise.
You get what you pay for! That's just my experience.

No, I havn't tried them myself.
I just came across them on-line.

Thanks for the warning.

--
Ron

Old January 26th 06, 11:47 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

wrote:
[...]

It may work, but then again it has been proved in the field that
multiple master sockets are detrimental to ADSL. Why not just put a
normal extension socket in & use the appropiate lead to connect your
DSL modem. Of course if you wanted a phone as well that is a
completely different kettle of fish .