Can I get faster than 512 on these figures? Talk Talk says no.

Old January 25th 06, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave P

Default Can I get faster than 512 on these figures? Talk Talk says no.

Operation Data
Upstream
Downstream

Noise Margin
26 dB
24 dB

Output Power
12 dBm
19 dBm

Attenuation
27 dB
48 dB

--
"Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is interesting. What they
conceal is vital. "

Old January 25th 06, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 16:40:15 -0000, "Dave P"
wrote:

Operation Data

its the www.bt.com/broadband checker you need to worry about.

Phil
--
http://www.notspot.info/ - if you can't get the Broadband you want.
Old January 25th 06, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Dave P wrote:
Operation Data
Upstream
Downstream

Noise Margin
26 dB
24 dB

Output Power
12 dBm
19 dBm

Attenuation
27 dB
48 dB

Yes, agree with Brian - should be fine for 1Mbps. Starting in April BT
are also rolling out an upgrade programme to their exchanges which
should also give you a bit more than that, based on those figures.

David.
Old January 25th 06, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Moss

"David" wrote in message

Yes, agree with Brian - should be fine for 1Mbps. Starting in April BT
are also rolling out an upgrade programme to their exchanges which
should also give you a bit more than that, based on those figures.

David.

What sort of upgrade programme David? Do you have any more info?
What are the likely speed increases of say, 512k, 1Mbit, and 2Mbit?
I thought line length was the main issue?

Old January 25th 06, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Yes, agree with Brian - should be fine for 1Mbps. Starting in April BT
are also rolling out an upgrade programme to their exchanges which
should also give you a bit more than that, based on those figures.

What sort of upgrade programme David? Do you have any more info?
What are the likely speed increases of say, 512k, 1Mbit, and 2Mbit?
I thought line length was the main issue?

Nobody knows yet! BT have been trialling it but have not announced a
detailed specification for the product. The object AFAIK is to make the
service adaptive to the line conditions rather than be in fixed steps. Given
the figures you are getting have you asked for your line to be manually
upgraded to 1MB?

Peter Crosland

Old January 26th 06, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Peter Crosland wrote:
Yes, agree with Brian - should be fine for 1Mbps. Starting in April BT
are also rolling out an upgrade programme to their exchanges which
should also give you a bit more than that, based on those figures.

What sort of upgrade programme David? Do you have any more info?
What are the likely speed increases of say, 512k, 1Mbit, and 2Mbit?
I thought line length was the main issue?

Nobody knows yet! BT have been trialling it but have not announced a
detailed specification for the product. The object AFAIK is to make the
service adaptive to the line conditions rather than be in fixed steps. Given
the figures you are getting have you asked for your line to be manually
upgraded to 1MB?

Peter Crosland

Are you talking about IPStream Max Peter?

If so, although the service will be rate adaptive it will still sync in
..5MB increments. The speed at which this will happen though could vary
from day to day.

There will be two flavours of Max similar to the existing office and
residential variants of IPStream AIUI. It is likely that many ISPs using
BT will just begin providing on IPStream Max and do the throttling at
their side as AFAIK the base costs are no different irrespective of the
adapted line speed.

Home Max should offer uploads between 64-448kbps whilst business should
offer 64-832kbps.

Downloads are envisaged to be between 288kbps-8132kbps across both
although the speed the end user would see is likely to max at around
6.5-7.0MB due to environmental factors and line characteristics.

Regards,

--
+ ----- PlusNet - The smarter way to broadband ------
Old January 26th 06, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[...]

Thanks for that Bob. I understood from BT that the spec was not yet
finalised but it would seem they have told ISPs but not the public! The
other thing I would like to know is if this is going to be done exhange by
exhange over a long period and if so what timescale from the time the
product is released by BT.

Peter Crosland

Old January 26th 06, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave P

wrote:

Operation Data

its the www.bt.com/broadband checker you need to worry about.

Phil
--
http://www.notspot.info/ - if you can't get the Broadband you want.

The computer says........................no.

Old January 26th 06, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Peter Crosland wrote:
[...]

Peter,

It will be done exchange by exchange. In fact BT's exchange checker
already incorporates checks for max products. It can tell you if your
exchange is already enabled and also if there is a planned date although
I'd take dates such as that with a pinch of salt if I'm entirely honest.

BT aim to have alot of exchanges completed by mid-year although
expectations should be compared to the timelines we were given with the
bulk upgrades to 2MB and the fact that they have only recently been
completed in full.

Our number checker will currently tell you if you can get a max product
(in which case we can potentially regrade you/ provide you at a higher
speed) it also has an expected upgrade date for some exchanges.

www.plus.net/8mb

Regards,

Old January 26th 06, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan J. Flavell

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Plusnet Support Team wrote:

TBH the BT one probably works http://www.bt.com/broadband/ but I
haven't an example of a Max account to hand at the moment so I'm
unable to prove /disprove that theory.

Well, if it's of any use to you, I've just tried that against my own
number, and in the BT response it includes:

/
Our test also indicates that your line should be able to support a
potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 4.5Mbps or greater.
\

As of yesterday, in fact, (as Plusnet advised me was going to happen),
the line is doing its best to establish the Max line rate. It seems
to be settling down to 5984kbps downstream / 448k upstream at the
moment, according to the router (I guess that includes overheads?).

When I view the local SNR margin figures now and again, they seem to
vary between 6 and 7 dB. There were a few breaks in service on the
first day, but it's been up and working for at least the last 11 hours
now, according to the router's stats.

**Well, isn't that just typical** - I was just about to post this,
when, it seems, the BT engine must have decided to try twiddling the
knobs again, and trying some higher speeds: the connection started
breaking. Each time it broke and I re-established it, it seemed to be
trying a higher rate (went up to 6.3M at one point). After about 10
mins of that, I gave up and went off to the kitchen.

Later on, I tried again, and it now seems to have stabilised at 6080k,
and the router's reporting a local SNR margin of 5.5dB. I suppose the
Max thing will be doing this, off and on, for the advertised 10 days.
Seems to me as if it might be trying just a bit too hard (I'd rather
have stable service than the last ounce of line speed), but what would
I know. I can live with this for now.

regards