Is it just Plusnet?

Old January 26th 06, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\\\) voom

Default Is it just Plusnet?

I have access to 3 Plusnet accounts. 2 Premiere and 1 business all which
recently have been at dial-up speed for downloading. It is only downloads
from P2P that I am talking about though to be fair web browsing is not too
bad.

These accounts are all in different locations too. I know you have to think
about contention but it seems strange that all 3 accounts have dropped at
the same time and it's just on P2P.

Are Plusnet restricting access to this service? We moved to premiere
accounts because we were told we would achieve better speeds for downloading
which I think was misleading.

Old January 26th 06, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Daniel

They should (I use the term lightly) only restrict your P2P at peak times if
you have downloaded more than 20GB of P2P in one month or exceeded their
fair usage policy limits.

There traffic shaping system is noway near perfect. If you haven't exceeded
the various limits (can be confusing) contact them.

Is your P2P slow all the time? After midnight I can max out my connection
using a well seeded torrent. During peak times it slows down quite
considerably but it is bearable (40KB/s)

Dan

Old January 26th 06, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 21:02:43 -0000, "Gareth :-\\\) voom"
wrote:

I have access to 3 Plusnet accounts. 2 Premiere and 1 business all which
recently have been at dial-up speed for downloading. It is only downloads
from P2P that I am talking about though to be fair web browsing is not too
bad.

These accounts are all in different locations too. I know you have to think
about contention but it seems strange that all 3 accounts have dropped at
the same time and it's just on P2P.

Are Plusnet restricting access to this service? We moved to premiere
accounts because we were told we would achieve better speeds for downloading
which I think was misleading.

Better than what?

If you were told that the speeds for downloading would be better than
on dial up, then that is not misleading, because they are.

P2P is a special case, as opposed to "normal" (FTP) downloading. I
downloaded about 2GB of Oracle software over last night and today, at
39Kb/s - which is the limit I had set Flashget to use, so that I had
spare bandwidth for the other things I was doing. But this was not
using P2P, it was a direct FTP from the Oracle site.

Plusnet have three queues - Bronze, Silver and Gold, with different
priorities given to each. P2P is in the bronze queue, so at even
moderately busy times, will have limited bandwidth available.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing
Old January 26th 06, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Alex Heney wrote:
On 26 Jan 2006 21:02, "Gareth :-\) voom" wrote:

Are Plusnet restricting access to this service? We moved to premiere
accounts because we were told we would achieve better speeds for
downloading which I think was misleading.

Better than what?

Broadband Plus, at a guess !!

Plusnet have three queues - Bronze, Silver and Gold, with different
priorities given to each. P2P is in the bronze queue, so at even
moderately busy times, will have limited bandwidth available.

Yes, perhaps a move to the new 10 GB PAYG at 19.99/month, or another
ISP (such as Demon Home) would be better, but it seems clear that to
expect to have choice over how one uses the connection, is no longer
an option for Premier customers, and never was for Plus customers.

Old January 27th 06, 12:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 22:38:03 +0000, Peter M
wrote:

Alex Heney wrote:
On 26 Jan 2006 21:02, "Gareth :-\) voom" wrote:

Are Plusnet restricting access to this service? We moved to premiere
accounts because we were told we would achieve better speeds for
downloading which I think was misleading.

Better than what?

Broadband Plus, at a guess !!

Seems an odd guess, since they would have been told a simple untruth.

Plusnet have three queues - Bronze, Silver and Gold, with different
priorities given to each. P2P is in the bronze queue, so at even
moderately busy times, will have limited bandwidth available.

Yes, perhaps a move to the new 10 GB PAYG at 19.99/month, or another
ISP (such as Demon Home) would be better, but it seems clear that to
expect to have choice over how one uses the connection, is no longer
an option for Premier customers, and never was for Plus customers.

That is not even remotely close to clear.

If a lot of your use is P2P or binary usenet, then Plusnet are not the
ISP for you.

But having a few things that it is not practical to make heavy use of
is not even close to not having a choice over how one uses the
connection.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Don't hate yourself in the morning - sleep till noon.
Old January 27th 06, 08:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete M Williams

"Gareth :-\) voom" wrote in message
I have access to 3 Plusnet accounts. 2 Premiere and 1 business all which
recently have been at dial-up speed for downloading. It is only downloads
from P2P that I am talking about though to be fair web browsing is not too
bad.

These accounts are all in different locations too. I know you have to
think about contention but it seems strange that all 3 accounts have
dropped at the same time and it's just on P2P.

Are Plusnet restricting access to this service? We moved to premiere
accounts because we were told we would achieve better speeds for
downloading which I think was misleading.

If you want to use your connection for anything else other that email and
web browsing then PlusNet are not the ISP for you.
They not only restrict you speeds "for most of the day" but they also have
data download and upload "limits" on P2P and newsgroups.

If you use P2P and newsgroups then you will be better off leaving PlusNet. I
did and so far the grass is defiantly greener.
I am able to download from P2P at full speed all day and every day "no signs
of contention yet luckily at my exchange" if I see fit.
I am able to download from my paid for news account at full speed all day,
every day, if I see fit.
I am able to download and upload any data at all without looking at the
amount of data that has passed both up and down my connection.

Can you say that?

Old January 27th 06, 09:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

If you want to use your connection for anything else other that email and
web browsing then PlusNet are not the ISP for you.

Say's it all in a nutshell.

Old January 27th 06, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete M Williams

"Pete M Williams" [email protected] wrote in message

If you want to use your connection for anything else other that email and
web browsing then PlusNet are not the ISP for you.

Sorry, forgot to add PlusNets VoIP service there.
No, not any VoIP service but only PlusNets own overpriced offering.
All other VoIP services by other providers are subject to PlusNets traffic
shaping. Not ideal for a technology that is so latency dependant is it?

So to surmise.
With PlusNet you get a cheap connection that is only guaranteed give you
full speed "contention aside" for web browsing, email and PlusTalk.
All other uses of your connection can be subject to throttling to some
extent all day and every day.

Also if you use PlusTalk or/with any other service's to an extent that it
means your usage figures go over one of the many different draconian usage
scales (peak time, total usage, P2P and newsgroup usage, to name but four)
then you can see your downloads throttled to the speed of a dial up
connection.

Broadband Britain!

Old January 27th 06, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:07:58 -0000, "It's Me" wrote:

If you want to use your connection for anything else other that email and
web browsing then PlusNet are not the ISP for you.

Say's it all in a nutshell.

But wrongly.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
A bad day on skis always beats a good day in the office!
Old January 27th 06, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:42:53 -0000, "Pete M Williams"
[email protected] wrote:

"Gareth :-\) voom" wrote in message
I have access to 3 Plusnet accounts. 2 Premiere and 1 business all which
recently have been at dial-up speed for downloading. It is only downloads
from P2P that I am talking about though to be fair web browsing is not too
bad.

These accounts are all in different locations too. I know you have to
think about contention but it seems strange that all 3 accounts have
dropped at the same time and it's just on P2P.

Are Plusnet restricting access to this service? We moved to premiere
accounts because we were told we would achieve better speeds for
downloading which I think was misleading.

If you want to use your connection for anything else other that email and
web browsing then PlusNet are not the ISP for you.

Not true at all.

I regularly use FTP, VPN, text newsgroups, and all are fine.

They not only restrict you speeds "for most of the day" but they also have
data download and upload "limits" on P2P and newsgroups.

The limits are such that text newsgroup usage is fine, it is only
binary newsgroup usage that is problematic.

If you use P2P and newsgroups then you will be better off leaving PlusNet. I
did and so far the grass is defiantly greener.

Again, "Binary" newsgroups.

And only if P2P and binary newsgroups are a major part of your usage.

If that is the case, then I agree, Plusnet are NOT a good choice of
ISP for that type of user.

I am able to download from P2P at full speed all day and every day "no signs
of contention yet luckily at my exchange" if I see fit.
I am able to download from my paid for news account at full speed all day,
every day, if I see fit.
I am able to download and upload any data at all without looking at the
amount of data that has passed both up and down my connection.

Can you say that?

Well I've never come close to hitting any of the limits, even though I
feel my usage is pretty heavy.

If it were important to me to be able to do that much, then I would go
somewhere else (and almost certainly pay more for it).

How much does the above cost from your current ISP?
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Use DEVICE=EXXON to screw up your environment.