ISP recommendations

Old January 27th 06, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

Default ISP recommendations

I'm currently having a poor time with PlusNet - poor connection speeds,
restrictive throttling and astoundingly poor news servers - both text and
binary - and now they just announced a fault with emails with attachments
(for god's sake, how cutting-edge complicated is that?). To give you an
idea, in the past 5 days they have announced the following problems on their
service status group newslusnet.service.status:
- Portal problems
- Broadband usage monitor
- Account management sending restriction notices to the wrong people
- Gaming slowdowns
- ADSL speed problems
- Webmail problems
- Usenet problems
- CGI problems
- CGI email problems
- Email attachment problems
- Core pipe problems
So I'm thinking of moving to a different ISP. I'm currently on a 21.99 2MB
Premier account which I'm expecting to be extended to 8MB within the coming
couple of months. What I'm after is...

1. Unrestricted or extremely generous bandwidth limits
2. Well-established company with a decent track record
3. Dedicated news server (or feed from a reliable source)
4. Wires only (I have a wireless router/modem)
5. Fixed IP addresses
6. 250Mb of web space
7. Supports CGI and PHP
8. Non premium rate support line

I'm well aware of ADSLguide and I'd be grateful for real recommendations
from real users, hence this post.

Thanks in advance.

Old January 27th 06, 02:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 13:47:47 -0000, "Trent SC"
wrote:

[...]

Zen for most if not all the above, 34.99inc a month with a news
service as part of the package - it goes wrong occasionally, but
mostly works fine.
Old January 27th 06, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Trent SC wrote:

1. Unrestricted or extremely generous bandwidth limits
2. Well-established company with a decent track record
3. Dedicated news server (or feed from a reliable source)
4. Wires only (I have a wireless router/modem)
5. Fixed IP addresses
6. 250Mb of web space
7. Supports CGI and PHP
8. Non premium rate support line

Consider splitting off the web hosting from the ISP part, that can
often improve your choices. Web hosting of the sort you want can be
had very cheaply (compared with the cost of ADSL anyway).

--
Chris Green

Old January 27th 06, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

wrote:

[...]

I moved from PN to Zen at the end of last year. It does cost more and I
doubt there would be an automatic, free, no increased subscription upgrade
to 8 Mb, but IMHO you get what you pay for. So far the service has not gone
wrong and, with a 1M account (line limitation) it really is nice to see
binary news coming in at, or very close to, 1M. I had a synch problem. Zen
accepted the fault finding I had undertaken, suggested a couple more things
to try and then immediately raised a fault with BT. Probably pure luck but
BT had rectified it within a couple of hours. There were a few
disconnections three or four days later and Zen had raised these with BT
before I was even aware they had happened. Although I am paying more I do
consider it value for money.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old January 27th 06, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SecretSquiddle

wrote in message ...
Trent SC wrote:

1. Unrestricted or extremely generous bandwidth limits
2. Well-established company with a decent track record
3. Dedicated news server (or feed from a reliable source)
4. Wires only (I have a wireless router/modem)
5. Fixed IP addresses
6. 250Mb of web space
7. Supports CGI and PHP
8. Non premium rate support line

Consider splitting off the web hosting from the ISP part, that can
often improve your choices. Web hosting of the sort you want can be
had very cheaply (compared with the cost of ADSL anyway).

--
Chris Green

www.zen.co.uk are the dogs ********!

1GB of webspace, completely unrestricted usage (as BB should be), reliable
100% fantastic!

**SS**

Old January 27th 06, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Carroll

Trent SC wrote:
... What I'm after is...

1. Unrestricted or extremely generous bandwidth limits
2. Well-established company with a decent track record
3. Dedicated news server (or feed from a reliable source)
4. Wires only (I have a wireless router/modem)
5. Fixed IP addresses
6. 250Mb of web space
7. Supports CGI and PHP
8. Non premium rate support line

I've ben using Freedom2Surf for 2 1/2 years with complete satisfaction.
I think one of their packages will meet your requirements above. They
have been completely reliable for me and have upgraded from 1Mbps to
2Mbps for free; soon to go to 8Mbps for those close enough to their BT
exchange to get it.

Please forgive any posting cockups. This is my first usenet posting on a
PC, though I have been a user since 1996 on RISC OS machines.

Bric
Old January 29th 06, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive

"Trent SC" wrote in message
[...]

Best Recommendation? The grass ALWAYS seems greener on the other side.

Most people who have had several ISP's will agree that they ALL have their
'bad periods'

I move TO Plusnet about 9 months ago and ok, the Usenet server problems are
a pain, but connection is first class for ME and I haven't 'lost' a
connection yet. Although sometimes the connection speed is not what I pay
for (Up to 2mb Premier)

My previous ISP was Telewest. Just before I left, My Telewest my connection
was off more than on. Yet when I joined them about 3 years ago they were
great.

You hear many stories on this NG about people moving, only to find six
months later they have a problem with their 'new' ISP. I'm now more prepared
to stick out the 'bad times' and complain and try for compensation, rather
than move isp - which isn't a problem for me because I have mail services
with my domain hosting people

Clive