Wireless 802.11a standard

Old January 27th 06, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

Default Wireless 802.11a standard

Is the 802.11A wireless standard legal in this country? I have been looking
for adsl routers which can run on this standard with no success so far as
they all seem to be B or G. The reason I am asking is that I have had
difficulties with G standard routers suffering from interference from other
wireless sources in the same band.
Alan

Old January 28th 06, 03:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Alan" wrote in message
Is the 802.11A wireless standard legal in this country? I have been
looking for adsl routers which can run on this standard with no success so
far as they all seem to be B or G. The reason I am asking is that I have
had difficulties with G standard routers suffering from interference from
other wireless sources in the same band.

Yes it has been for a couple of years - see
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/i...-o=14,100000,0
but try and get something which is 802.11h compliant - which most 802.11a
stuff should be..

Regards
Sunil

Old January 28th 06, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Alan wrote:
: Is the 802.11A wireless standard legal in this country? I have been looking
: for adsl routers which can run on this standard with no success so far as
: they all seem to be B or G.

A magazine article I read said that 802.11a is used extensively in places
like the City of London where many adjacent companies are using WiFi.
As it is mainly used in business finding an ADSL router may be hard!
Old January 28th 06, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SecretSquiddle

"Alan" wrote in message
Is the 802.11A wireless standard legal in this country? I have been looking
for adsl routers which can run on this standard with no success so far as
they all seem to be B or G. The reason I am asking is that I have had
difficulties with G standard routers suffering from interference from other
wireless sources in the same band.
Alan

Why not change the band? There's 11 to choose from!

**SS**

Old January 28th 06, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan J. Flavell

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006, SecretSquiddle wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message
Is the 802.11A wireless standard legal in this country? I have been
looking for adsl routers which can run on this standard with no
success so far as they all seem to be B or G. The reason I am asking
is that I have had difficulties with G standard routers suffering
from interference from other wireless sources in the same band.

Why not change the band?

Why not learn something before posting? That's exactly what he's
asking to do. ('11a uses a different band than '11b/g).

There's 11 to choose from!

There's only two bands to choose from. The band used by 11b/g has 13
channels in our area, but they aren't really independent. RTFM about
spread (or you could even read this group - it isn't meant to be
write-only, and the topic has come up before).
Old January 28th 06, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SecretSquiddle

. gla.ac.uk...

"Alan" wrote in message
Is the 802.11A wireless standard legal in this country? I have been
looking for adsl routers which can run on this standard with no
success so far as they all seem to be B or G. The reason I am asking
is that I have had difficulties with G standard routers suffering
from interference from other wireless sources in the same band.

Why not change the band?

Why not learn something before posting? That's exactly what he's
asking to do. ('11a uses a different band than '11b/g).

There's 11 to choose from!

There's only two bands to choose from. The band used by 11b/g has 13
channels in our area, but they aren't really independent. RTFM about
spread (or you could even read this group - it isn't meant to be
write-only, and the topic has come up before).

I do apologise. I misunderstood the question.
**SS**

Old January 28th 06, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 16:52:39 -0000, in uk.telecom.broadband ,
"SecretSquiddle" wrote:

"Alan J. Flavell" wrote in message
.gla.ac.uk...
On Sat, 28 Jan 2006, SecretSquiddle wrote:

Why not learn something before posting? That's exactly what he's
asking to do. ('11a uses a different band than '11b/g).

I do apologise. I misunderstood the question.

You probably also want to fix your newsreader - its not properly
quoting other people's messages. There should be TWO signs before
Alan's part of the post above, so that it can be differentiated from
your part.
Mark McIntyre
Old January 29th 06, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message
Is the 802.11A wireless standard legal in this country? I have been
looking for adsl routers which can run on this standard with no success

so
far as they all seem to be B or G. The reason I am asking is that I have
had difficulties with G standard routers suffering from interference

from
other wireless sources in the same band.

Yes it has been for a couple of years - see

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/i...-o=14,100000,0

Note it says "indoor use only"

but try and get something which is 802.11h compliant - which most 802.11a
stuff should be..

Cisco do access points and routers with 802.11a on them - not exactly
consumer pricing tho.
www.cisco.com/go/wireless

if you want something "all in 1" you would need at least a 1801W router to
get 802.11a - list price somewhere well above $1000......
http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf...cd8016ef57.pdf

you might be better off with a router and separate access point - Netgear
and D-Link both advertise "dual band" or "tri band" access points which
include 802.11a

Found them at a place i have used before fro wireless:
http://www.lanshop.co.uk/productslis...loffer= False

i havent used any of this stuff for 802.11a, so suggestions rather than
recommendations......

also note that 802.11a is going to have lower range than 802.11g in similar
conditions (ignoring interference, which you said was the major issue)

Regards
Sunil

--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl

Old January 29th 06, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SecretSquiddle

"SecretSquiddle" wrote:

"Alan J. Flavell" wrote in message
h.gla.ac.uk...
On Sat, 28 Jan 2006, SecretSquiddle wrote:

Why not learn something before posting? That's exactly what he's
asking to do. ('11a uses a different band than '11b/g).

I do apologise. I misunderstood the question.

You probably also want to fix your newsreader - its not properly
quoting other people's messages. There should be TWO signs before
Alan's part of the post above, so that it can be differentiated from
your part.
Mark McIntyre
--

I bow before your superior intellect, and once again apologise.

**SS**

Old January 29th 06, 04:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

Thanks for your helpful advice Stephen.
Regards
Alan