Conexant AccessRunner ADSL doesn't always synch with exchange after hibernate

Old January 28th 06, 01:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven

Default Conexant AccessRunner ADSL doesn't always synch with exchange after hibernate

Hi,

I have had the Conexant AccessRunner ADSL ever since I went on ADSL a
few years ago. I am very satisfied with it, but I have one problem with
it (more likely the drivers?).

I put my PC into hibernation at night rather than completely shutting
down, for 2 reasons:

1. It's quicker to boot up after powering up again.
2. I use my PC to record programmes from my digital TV card and this
wakes the PC automatically from hibernate, which it couldn't do if the
PC was completely shut down.

The problem is that (say) once in every 4 or 5 times that I turn the PC
on from hibernate, the modem doesn't synchronise with the exchange, i.e.
the AccessRunner Control Panel just shows 'Attempting to activate line'
or similar (you know the one!). It never gets to 'ADSL Connection
Established', however long I leave it.

The problem then is that, after the TV programme has been recorded and
the PC tries to put itself into hibernation again, it hangs on the blue
'Windows is shutting down' screen and you have to manually press the
reset button to reboot the PC.

If the modem doesn't connect, you can reboot (having to press the reset
button again as it hangs) and then it WILL connect after rebooting.

I don't understand why it sometimes doesn't synchronise with the
exchange and I'd like this to work 100% so that when I go on holiday in
a few months I can be sure the PC won't only record some of the
programmes I set it to record! :-(

Does anyone have any ideas please? System details are as follows:

Athlon XP 2100+
512 Mb RAM
Windows XP Home
ADSL drivers 4012.099.061.000 (the latest ones I believe, but older
drivers had this problem too)

Cheers,
--
Steven
Remove NOSPAM to reply directly - thanks.
Old January 28th 06, 02:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Steven wrote:

If the modem doesn't connect, you can reboot (having to press the reset
button again as it hangs) and then it WILL connect after rebooting.
Does anyone have any ideas please?

You may find few people using USB these days (*) - for reliability and
ease of use, a router is a common way to stay connected to the ISP.

It avoids USB driver problems, and all the PC will notice is that
there's no internet access, which should hardly ever give a problem
if a PC just has an ethernet connection.

(*) at least among readers of uk.telecom.broadband

Old January 28th 06, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006, Peter M writes:
You may find few people using USB these days (*) - for reliability and
ease of use, a router is a common way to stay connected to the ISP.

It avoids USB driver problems, and all the PC will notice is that
there's no internet access, which should hardly ever give a problem
if a PC just has an ethernet connection.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that it's actually a PCI modem, not a USB
one!
Old January 28th 06, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Simpsons

The problem is that (say) once in every 4 or 5 times that I turn the PC on
from hibernate, the modem doesn't synchronise with the exchange, i.e. the
AccessRunner Control Panel just shows 'Attempting to activate line' or
similar (you know the one!). It never gets to 'ADSL Connection
Established', however long I leave it.

Presumably your`re using a PCI card, if so I have some drivers that may
perform better at sync. than
the supplied drivers.
Let me know if I can help.
Fred

Old January 28th 06, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006, The Simpsons writes:
Presumably your`re using a PCI card, if so I have some drivers that may
perform better at sync. than
the supplied drivers.
Let me know if I can help.

Well yes, I am using a PCI card and as I mentioned my drivers are
version 4012.099.061.000, which I downloaded from
http://www.themad-house.co.uk/Conexa...t-drivers.html.

However if you have some newer or better drivers then yes please, it is
worth a try!

Cheers,
Old January 28th 06, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006, The Simpsons writes:
Presumably your`re using a PCI card, if so I have some drivers that may
perform better at sync. than
the supplied drivers.
Let me know if I can help.

Just checking, did you get my reply to your e-mail? Couldn't quite work
out what you meant with the 'nospam' bit! LOL
Old January 29th 06, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GrahamU

I have exactly the same issue and have had it for several years with
at least 3 different driver versions, Never found a solution, so if
you do solve it please post the answer!
My setup is 3GHz P4 (Northwood) in an Abit ic7G. I'm now on 2Mb ADSL
and the issue is the same as it was on 512K

GrahamU