astersik VOIP server running from demon HomeOffice 2000 - do demon allow this

Old January 28th 06, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kevin bailey

Default astersik VOIP server running from demon HomeOffice 2000 - do demon allow this

hi,

when i recently ran some tests on open network ports on a server i think i
noticed that a VOIP protocol seemed to be blocked.

what i'd like to do is to set up an asterisk VOIP server here for testing
purposes but thought i'd ask if anyone else has done this successfully over
a demon HomeOffice 2000 connection.

any thoughts, pointers etc gratefully received.

kev
Old January 29th 06, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

kevin bailey wrote:

hi,

when i recently ran some tests on open network ports on a server i think i
noticed that a VOIP protocol seemed to be blocked.

what i'd like to do is to set up an asterisk VOIP server here for testing
purposes but thought i'd ask if anyone else has done this successfully
over a demon HomeOffice 2000 connection.

any thoughts, pointers etc gratefully received.

kev

Which protocol? SIP/IAX?

There is some comercial software available to ISPs that lets them detect
VoIP traffic on their network & effectively block it. Not good. I'm sure
someone'll be along & point you to the article.

Ask also in uk.telecom.voip.

Relevant ports to forward to Asterisk, depending on what you read - 5060,
10000-20000, 8000-8012, 3478-3483, 5004-5036, 4560-4570, 2727.

Old January 29th 06, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kevin bailey

Jono wrote:

kevin bailey wrote:

hi,

when i recently ran some tests on open network ports on a server i think
i noticed that a VOIP protocol seemed to be blocked.

what i'd like to do is to set up an asterisk VOIP server here for testing
purposes but thought i'd ask if anyone else has done this successfully
over a demon HomeOffice 2000 connection.

any thoughts, pointers etc gratefully received.

kev

Which protocol? SIP/IAX?

still in the checking it out phase - probably SIP.

There is some comercial software available to ISPs that lets them detect
VoIP traffic on their network & effectively block it. Not good. I'm sure
someone'll be along & point you to the article.

Ask also in uk.telecom.voip.

unfortunately uk.telecom.voip isn't hosted on demon's news servers -
actually, thinking about it, i'll try to get to it via google groups.

thanks,

kev

Old January 30th 06, 06:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Partridge

In article , kevin bailey
writes
Jono wrote:

kevin bailey wrote:

[...]

Yes it is.. That's how I get it. - Try refreshing your newsgroup list.

I have used VoIP (SIP) to both Global Crossing, and Gradwell from Demon.
- No problems.

thanks,

kev

Relevant ports to forward to Asterisk, depending on what you read - 5060,
10000-20000, 8000-8012, 3478-3483, 5004-5036, 4560-4570, 2727.

Philip Partridge