How to disable NAT on wireless router?

Old January 29th 06, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Default How to disable NAT on wireless router?

I've got two of these here wireless routers:

http://www.jaht.com/products/router/wa4054.htm

[also known as Safecom SWBR-5400].

How do I turn off NAT? Basically I've got one upstars with the internet
connection, and one downstairs with a phone and a computer. I was hoping to
use them to bridge the two LANs so I don't have to run 50ft of CAT5.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
10:24:13 up 3 days, 14:41, 2 users, load average: 1.14, 0.63, 0.34

Old January 29th 06, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:42:38 GMT, in uk.telecom.broadband , alexd
wrote:

I've got two of these here wireless routers:

http://www.jaht.com/products/router/wa4054.htm

[also known as Safecom SWBR-5400].

How do I turn off NAT? Basically I've got one upstars with the internet
connection, and one downstairs with a phone and a computer. I was hoping to
use them to bridge the two LANs so I don't have to run 50ft of CAT5

You don't need to turn off NAT, NAT is what converts your internal
network addresses into the single IP your provider gives you, you'll
need this.

Assuming you want to use the broadband upstairs from the PC
downstairs, you do to work out how to get the router downstairs to be
a wireless client, which is a whole different ballgame. Very few
retail routers can act as clients and it'd be way easier to get an
ordinary wireless lan card of some sort for the downstairs PC.

Mark McIntyre
Old January 29th 06, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

wrote:

I've got two of these here wireless routers:

http://www.jaht.com/products/router/wa4054.htm

[also known as Safecom SWBR-5400].

How do I turn off NAT? Basically I've got one upstars with the internet
connection, and one downstairs with a phone and a computer. I was hoping
to use them to bridge the two LANs so I don't have to run 50ft of CAT5

You don't need to turn off NAT, NAT is what converts your internal
network addresses into the single IP your provider gives you, you'll
need this.

OK forget that - bit of a red herring as I won't be plugging the router into
the WAN as I've already got a router doing that. I'll just be using the LAN
ports. The problem is, the router thinks it can't 'see' the default GW when
I use one of the LAN ports for the upstream connection. No big deal, it
just means the router can't update its clock with NTP.

Assuming you want to use the broadband upstairs from the PC
downstairs, you do to work out how to get the router downstairs to be
a wireless client, which is a whole different ballgame.

I did a bit more digging [shame I didn't know when I posted the original
article that 'WDS' is the correct term for what I want to do] and
discovered that Safecom released an upgrade of the firmware last year that
added WDS to the router. Unfortunately, they've since discontinued the
router, and removed all the firmware for that router from their site.
Thanks a bunch, Safecom!

Very few
retail routers can act as clients and it'd be way easier to get an
ordinary wireless lan card of some sort for the downstairs PC.

I was hoping to use the router as a wireless bridge as the phone doesn't
have the option of WLAN, only plain old ethernet.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
16:30:17 up 3 days, 20:47, 2 users, load average: 0.21, 0.59, 0.62

Old January 29th 06, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan J. Flavell

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006, alexd wrote:

OK forget that - bit of a red herring as I won't be plugging the
router into the WAN as I've already got a router doing that. I'll
just be using the LAN ports.

That's something similar to what I'm doing. Call the boxes "A" (the
one with the ADSL line, active NAT router etc.), and "B" (doing
LAN and wireless stuff, but not using its own router and WAN port)...

The problem is, the router thinks it can't 'see' the default GW when
I use one of the LAN ports for the upstream connection.

Well, my box "B" was initially assigning itself its own LAN IP and
default gateway, and trying to run a DHCP server, both of which
clashed with what box "A" was already doing. I needed to stop box "B"
doing DHCP, and configure its own IP (i.e for its management access)
to a spare IP address on the LAN (i.e an IP address outside of the
range which the DHCP server on box "A" had been told to lease out);
and configure box "B" explicitly to know that box "A" (192.168.1.1, in
my case) was its default router. Most of that needed to be done by
connecting a PC to box "B" stand-alone, before linking it to box "A",
otherwise they got in each others' hair, of course.

[OK, I'm sure that other options are possible, such as configuring box
B to ask for its IP from the DHCP server on box A...]

Also, if you're configuring your wireless base to recognise only
permitted MAC addresses, then don't forget to include the LAN MAC
address of your ADSL router (box "A") in the permissions list. I made
that mistake at first :-{

hope that's useful to somebody.
Old January 30th 06, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

"alexd" wrote in message
I've got two of these here wireless routers:

http://www.jaht.com/products/router/wa4054.htm

[also known as Safecom SWBR-5400].

How do I turn off NAT? Basically I've got one upstars with the internet
connection, and one downstairs with a phone and a computer. I was hoping
use them to bridge the two LANs so I don't have to run 50ft of CAT5.

it's quite simply, you plug them both in.... and use them
just make sure they will be ok on a lan, that is, make sure they have
different ip's, diff mac address(mac address is sometimes set from firmware,
so can be the same on matching routers sometimes), dhcp is disabled on the
extra one