2mb - 1mb Migration?

Old January 29th 06, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bryan Anderson

Default 2mb - 1mb Migration?

Some advice needed: I am on PlusNet 2MB at the moment but have just
had the "Level 1" email and binary usenet has gone kapput and I expect
my ftp server has slowed right down too. So - am looking for a new ISP
that has no traffic shaping or down/upload limits, under 30 per month
and ideally with a one month minimum.

I used to be with Zen and would love to go back, but they cost too
much, unless I go with their 1MB service. Question is, can I move from
a 2MB service to a 1MB without incurring additional costs?

If not - my next option will be AOL (without their software - using my
existing router) and swallowing the twelve-month contract to get the
2MB for 25 per month....

--
Bryan Anderson
Old January 29th 06, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Bryan Anderson
says...

Some advice needed: I am on PlusNet 2MB at the moment but have just
had the "Level 1" email and binary usenet has gone kapput and I expect
my ftp server has slowed right down too. So - am looking for a new ISP
that has no traffic shaping or down/upload limits, under 30 per month
and ideally with a one month minimum.

I used to be with Zen and would love to go back, but they cost too
much, unless I go with their 1MB service. Question is, can I move from
a 2MB service to a 1MB without incurring additional costs?

If not - my next option will be AOL (without their software - using my
existing router) and swallowing the twelve-month contract to get the
2MB for 25 per month....

Eclipse 2Mbps 29.99 a month. One month contract and no traffic shaping
whatsoever, no limits on downloads either on Flex 2000 which would
retain your 2Mbps speed.

http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?id=migrating

Try it for a month free.

FR
Old January 29th 06, 10:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bryan Anderson

On Sun, Flying Rat wrote:

Eclipse 2Mbps 29.99 a month. One month contract and no traffic
shaping whatsoever, no limits on downloads either on Flex 2000
which would retain your 2Mbps speed.

http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?id=migrating

That looks to be about what I am after - can't see a mention of a news
server on their site though - do they have one, and is it any good? If
they don't then I'd be happy to drop to 1MB and go with Zen as I know
they have a decent news server (or used to) and it's quite important
to me.

--
Bryan Anderson
Old January 29th 06, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Bryan Anderson
says...
On Sun, Flying Rat wrote:

Eclipse 2Mbps 29.99 a month. One month contract and no traffic
shaping whatsoever, no limits on downloads either on Flex 2000
which would retain your 2Mbps speed.

http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?id=migrating

That looks to be about what I am after - can't see a mention of a news
server on their site though - do they have one, and is it any good? If
they don't then I'd be happy to drop to 1MB and go with Zen as I know
they have a decent news server (or used to) and it's quite important
to me.

Eclipse News is outsourced to Giganews, you get two 16KBps connections
with no download limits. Over 100,000 groups and full binary feed. So if
32KBps is fast enough for you then it's fine and you can use it 24/7 if
you want.

Zen have an in-house usenet server, which is faster but doesn't have the
same retention or spread as Giganews. It's probably the best example of
ISP provided Usenet there is. So you have the choice of whether it's
worth the extra money or loss of speed overall.

FR
Old January 30th 06, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo

"Bryan Anderson" wrote in message
On Sun, Flying Rat wrote:

Eclipse 2Mbps 29.99 a month. One month contract and no traffic
shaping whatsoever, no limits on downloads either on Flex 2000
which would retain your 2Mbps speed.

http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?id=migrating

That looks to be about what I am after - can't see a mention of a news
server on their site though - do they have one, and is it any good? If
they don't then I'd be happy to drop to 1MB and go with Zen as I know
they have a decent news server (or used to) and it's quite important
to me.

How about Demon ?
No limit 2Mb for 24.99 a month

Old January 30th 06, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bryan Anderson

On Monday, "Gizmo" wrote:

How about Demon ?
No limit 2Mb for 24.99 a month

Can't find it on their page, but isn't that for a twelve month
contract? I may well be mistaken, but I definately wanted a one
month contract so have gone with Eclipse.

--
Bryan Anderson