AOL news-servers

Old January 29th 06, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bryan Anderson

Default AOL news-servers

Am considering moving to AOL (using my own router, avoiding their
software) but wondered about their news servers....do they provide
"normal" nntp access (so I can use Agent) or are they accessible
only via their software, so meaning I'd need a third-party nntp
service?

--
Bryan Anderson
Old January 29th 06, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Bryan Anderson
says...

Am considering moving to AOL (using my own router, avoiding their
software) but wondered about their news servers....do they provide
"normal" nntp access (so I can use Agent) or are they accessible
only via their software, so meaning I'd need a third-party nntp
service?

AOl has no NNTP service whatsoever. It was discontinued due to "lack of
use".

FR
Old January 30th 06, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

"Bryan Anderson" wrote in message

Am considering moving to AOL (using my own router, avoiding their
software) but wondered about their news servers....do they provide
"normal" nntp access (so I can use Agent) or are they accessible
only via their software, so meaning I'd need a third-party nntp
service?

i'd un-consider AOL if you value your sanity

Old January 30th 06, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[L.]

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:32:27 -0000, "Geoff"
wrote:

"Bryan Anderson" wrote in message
.. .

Am considering moving to AOL (using my own router, avoiding their
software) but wondered about their news servers....do they provide
"normal" nntp access (so I can use Agent) or are they accessible
only via their software, so meaning I'd need a third-party nntp
service?

Claranet offers a usenet service for 30 GBP per year (max 10GB month
traffic). Their retention is on the microscopic side of short (a
couple of days), but other than that I never had many problems when I
was using them.

i'd un-consider AOL if you value your sanity

Would you be so kind as to explain? I'm considering the same move.

I had some trouble calling their activation line and asking whether,
should I join AOL, I would be allowed to use the POP3 and SMTP servers
provided by my hosting provider (claranet, in fact) using a non-aol
mail client (i.e. do they filter/proxy/block port 25 traffic?).

_But_, if one has no trouble and does not need to call their help
line, how is their connection? Speed? latency?

L.

PS: Bryan, should you decide to go ahead, would you be so kind as to
post the results here?

PPS: If you migrate and already have their supported hardware, you are
not bound to a 12 months contract.

[L.]
Old January 30th 06, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Curious

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:16:28 +0000, "[L.]" wrote:

Would you be so kind as to explain? I'm considering the same move.

I had some trouble calling their activation line and asking whether,
should I join AOL, I would be allowed to use the POP3 and SMTP servers
provided by my hosting provider (claranet, in fact) using a non-aol
mail client (i.e. do they filter/proxy/block port 25 traffic?).

_But_, if one has no trouble and does not need to call their help
line, how is their connection? Speed? latency?

Why, I wonder, are so many people in this country drawn towards
"America-on-line"?

Old January 30th 06, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[L.]

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:39:03 +0000, Curious wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:16:28 +0000, "[L.]" wrote:

Would you be so kind as to explain? I'm considering the same move.

I had some trouble calling their activation line and asking whether,
should I join AOL, I would be allowed to use the POP3 and SMTP servers
provided by my hosting provider (claranet, in fact) using a non-aol
mail client (i.e. do they filter/proxy/block port 25 traffic?).

_But_, if one has no trouble and does not need to call their help
line, how is their connection? Speed? latency?

Why, I wonder, are so many people in this country drawn towards
"America-on-line"?

I don't know about others.

For me is the 15/17 GBP per month for a claimed unlimited/uncapped
service provided by a company with some business experience.

What prevents me from jumping ship is:
- Level of aspersions and disparaging comments on usenet
- Unclear whether they indeed proxy/block port 25 traffic or not.

L.

[L.]
Old January 30th 06, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 13:16:28 +0000, [L.] wrote:

I had some trouble calling their activation line and asking whether,
should I join AOL, I would be allowed to use the POP3 and SMTP servers
provided by my hosting provider (claranet, in fact) using a non-aol mail
client (i.e. do they filter/proxy/block port 25 traffic?).

In this day and age, it's irresponsible of an ISP *not* to take some
action against direct outgoing port 25 connections on domestic
connections. Port 25 alone is useful for "direct to MX" spamming.

Any half-way decent third-party mail service that offers authenticated
SMTP will offer it on alternative ports, and/or will offer SMTPS
too.
Old January 30th 06, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bryan Anderson

On Monday, "Geoff" wrote:

i'd un-consider AOL if you value your sanity

I have - it's a very mixed bag of responses about AOL. Some say it's
awful (and it was when I used it about seven years ago on dial-up),
whereas others say it can't be beaten as long as you don't use the
software they give you and conenct via a router (which I would have
done).

However, the "AOL Stigma" and the twelve month contract have put me
off....gone Eclipse instead.

--
Bryan Anderson
Old January 30th 06, 05:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bryan Anderson

On Monday, "[L.]" wrote:

PS: Bryan, should you decide to go ahead, would you be so kind
as to post the results here?

Have decided on Eclipse instead...

PPS: If you migrate and already have their supported hardware,
you are not bound to a 12 months contract.

I don't have one of their "supported" routers, so would have either
had to buy one, or go for a twelve month contract, which I'm not
prepared to do....don't trust large companies to not change things
within twelve months (Example PlusNet!)

--
Bryan Anderson
Old January 30th 06, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

[L.] wrote:

I had some trouble calling their activation line and asking whether,
should I join AOL, I would be allowed to use the POP3 and SMTP servers
provided by my hosting provider (claranet, in fact) using a non-aol
mail client (i.e. do they filter/proxy/block port 25 traffic?).

Clara allowed (I have not tried it recently, so an exercise for you!)
port 2525 as an alternative for outgoing and some time ago I read AOL
did 'trap' port 25 traffic, in a similar manner to Freeserve/Wanadoo.