E7Even users experience problems with service

Old January 30th 06, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
miav

Default E7Even users experience problems with service

"Customers of the service provider E7Even are having a mixed bag of results.
While it is entirely possible that the number of customers having problems
is only 20% of their user base, we have seen a large increase in the number
of posts from people who are having problems. It would seem that a fair
number of people have also complained to Ofcom who have posted an 'advice
note'.

E7Even has acknowledged that it has been having a period of problems, and
did send an e-mail to customers saying that those who want their MAC number
so they can migrate will be provided with one. Additionally where people
have paid for the service in advance they will receive a refund of any
unused portion."

more he http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=2526

Old January 30th 06, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jo Beddow

Hi,

I have had problems for about 4 weeks - had two days access last weekend
(after I changed my username / account as instucted), but since then have
had no access at all. Totally unable to get through on the phone and emails
are never answered. In mid Jan the7 sent me an email with a MAC number which
I had not actually requested at the time, however think this may be of use,
4 weeks without access makes me feel dubious about their ability to provide
a good service.

Looking for advice on what to do now? I'm not at all techie but I'm
guessing I need this MAC number to move to an different provider? If I do
could anyone explain (in non techie terms) how it works and will I risk
losing the chance of getting a refund.

Any help / advice much appreicated.

Jo
Old January 30th 06, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Trent SC

[...]

Once you've picked the ISP you want, tell them it's a transfer and give them
the MAC code. They should be able to do the rest for you. Be aware,
however, that MAC codes have a shelf life of only one month, so you'd better
get a move on, otherwise you'll have to ask for a new one.

Old January 30th 06, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Jo Beddow wrote:

In mid Jan they sent me an email with a MAC number ...
I'm not at all techie but I'm guessing I need this MAC number to move
to an different provider? If I do could anyone explain (in non techie
terms) how it works and will I risk losing the chance of getting a refund.

The MAC (Migration Access Code - I think) is needed for a (relatively)
smooth transfer to some other ISP. That way you avoid having to pay a
new 'activation fee' (which some ISPs charge, at 40+VAT, some build it
into the contract for the first 12 months, so moving has an 'exit' fee
if you don't stay with them, and other boost up to a higher fee - so a
good idea to avoid if at all possible).

The MAC is needed when you sign up - look for some section on your new
ISP's website which say 'moving', 'existing ADSL user' or 'migrate' or
similar. There are a few ISPs which are offering deals for customers,
but hurry (a) in case such deals end tomorrow (31/01) and (b) since if
you leave it too long, the MAC will expire (validity is only 30 days).

Better get your skates on and choose a new ISP...

Depends a lot on how heavy you use your connection, and what speed you
have on your line - some ISPs have higher costs for higher speeds so I
suggest checking on www.ADSLguide.org and comparing ISPs listed - they
allow you to compare up to 6 ISPs, so you can get a taste of how happy
(or not) the existing customers are. I know Eclipse has a deal on to
let users have a month's free trial (check all the small print - there
is a fee charged for a migration by BT Wholesale of 11 +VAT, from mem,
so you might get a month free, but then have a migration fee to pay if
you then move away from them). Newnet (.co.uk) also has a free month,
if you sign up today or tomorrow, and pricing from 11.95/month (2 GB).

Good luck with the migration... often they'll give a date from 5 to 10
working days from placing the order (unless they have a backlog!).

Old January 30th 06, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jo Beddow

Many thanks, your comments are really helpful - got till 19/02 with my MAC
so I'll start checking out whats available.

I'm not a big user just want minimal downtime (and good support as not very
techie) - I will check out the site you recommend. Have been holding off to
give e7 the benefit of the doubt hoping all would be resolved soon, but
after looking at comments on the various sites similar to this the prognosis
does notlook good - think I'll switch then continue the battle for my refund
- thanks again

Cheers,
Old April 1st 06, 03:09 AM
sasparillo sasparillo is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Beddow
Many thanks, your comments are really helpful - got till 19/02 with my MAC
so I'll start checking out whats available.

I'm not a big user just want minimal downtime (and good support as not very
techie) - I will check out the site you recommend. Have been holding off to
give e7 the benefit of the doubt hoping all would be resolved soon, but
after looking at comments on the various sites similar to this the prognosis
does notlook good - think I'll switch then continue the battle for my refund
- thanks again

Cheers,
Hi,

There's now a new free unofficial discussion group for E7even customers:

Subscribe:
Post message:

Please pass this message on to other boards and anywhere else you encounter E7even users who are dissatisfied with the service.

This group of course would still encourage people to post about their experience with E7even on public boards, report to Ofcom and consumerdirect/Trading Standards if they want to, as well as taking part in the discussion group.