Anyone want me to refer them on Eclipse?

Old January 30th 06, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bryan Anderson

Default Anyone want me to refer them on Eclipse?

Just about to sign up - first person's referal code I see, I will use.

--
Bryan Anderson
Old January 30th 06, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bryan Anderson

That was quick Mark - have used it.

--
Bryan Anderson
Old January 30th 06, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Bryan Anderson
says...

That was quick Mark - have used it.

so you decided then?

Welcome aboard, hope you like it here.

FR
Old January 30th 06, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bryan Anderson

On Monday, Flying Rat wrote:

so you decided then?

I have - just not yet replied in my other threads.

Welcome aboard, hope you like it here.

Well - signed up today - hope to get it all switched over early next
week. Got to be better than PlusNet, where I have slowed to a crawl at
the moment.

--
Bryan Anderson
Old January 30th 06, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bryan Anderson

On Monday, wrote:

I made the move a month ago, seems ok so far. Torrents move
nicely now, news can be a bit fiddly (only two 15KB/sec
connections) but usable anytime of day. As one of that infamous
"1%" who dared to use as much as 15GB a month on BB+ (shock
horror eh?), I don't regret the move even though it costs me
£3 a month more for a connection that is theoretically only
half the speed (but is in practice about double the speed on
everything but websurfing).

That's sort of what I figured....I may well be paying for a 2MB
connection with PlusNet but I'm certainly not getting it now I am
restricted on usenet (also got a torrent downloading now and it's
only managing between 7 and 9kB/s)

Thought that an unrestricted 1MB is going to be faster than a
restricted 2MB so nothing to lose! The 2 x 15kB/s is fine for me
as long as I can download whenever I like, and if it's not then I
will look signing up for an external service.

Just feel bad 'cos I recommended PN to someone and they took out
the Plus package (so now have a peak time cap of 5GB/month) but
they registered a domain name with them and now feel they can't
move!

--
Bryan Anderson
Old January 31st 06, 03:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Bryan Anderson
says...
That's sort of what I figured....I may well be paying for a 2MB
connection with PlusNet but I'm certainly not getting it now I am
restricted on usenet (also got a torrent downloading now and it's
only managing between 7 and 9kB/s)

I've never had torrent speed problems on Eclipse, except for lack of
seeds and that's hardly their fault! I've seen downloads steaming along
at over 200KBps steadily on many occasions at all times of the day or
night.

Thought that an unrestricted 1MB is going to be faster than a
restricted 2MB so nothing to lose! The 2 x 15kB/s is fine for me
as long as I can download whenever I like, and if it's not then I
will look signing up for an external service.

The 2x15 is speed restricted by Giganews. It's served by their Amsterdam
servers, and that means it's as good as being in Britain. No cap
whatsoever on data, run it 24/7/365 with Newzbin or newsleecher if you
want. I generally see speed as being 2x16 or so steady.

group list count at the moment is 105,202 groups. As you can see from
the headers I am using it now. Propagation for uploading/posting is
excellent.

if you want an extra binary feed,
http://www.yottanews.com/freeaccount.php

1 gig a month free of charge (full binary feed, medium reliability, one
connection and fast)

Just feel bad 'cos I recommended PN to someone and they took out
the Plus package (so now have a peak time cap of 5GB/month) but
they registered a domain name with them and now feel they can't
move!

anyway I hope it works out for you.

There have been speed issues recently, but Eclipse made some tests and
identified one possible problem. The other is that not everyone is
affected so that would point to BT contention on their part of the
setup.

I stick there as it is generally rock solid and support is at ordinary
call rates and based in Britain. They really went the extra mile for me
when I had a problem with BT and an overloaded exchange.

Eclipse will host your friend's domain BTW. That isn't a problem. Once
you get up and running you will be able to look at the domains stuff
Eclipse provide, and it's not that hard to get set up for hosting and
email.

FR