A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

New Builds and NTL Cable



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 30th 06, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
silstorm
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default New Builds and NTL Cable

I'm moving in to a new property next week and trying to arrange
telephone and broadband connections.

The property is brand new (as in, not finished until the day before I'm
due to move in!) but is located on a street that is serviced by NTL.

Now, not knowing much about how the cable infrastructure works, are NTL
likely to be able to bring cable into the building with ease?

Tried asking NTL, but they couldn't give me an answer because everyone
that would know had gone home apparently. But if theres a decent chance
of it happening, I'll hold off and wait to see if they accept my online
order. If it's unlikely, I'll go ahead and order through BT.
  #2  
Old January 30th 06, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Taylor
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 40
Default New Builds and NTL Cable

"silstorm" wrote in message
...
I'm moving in to a new property next week and trying to arrange telephone
and broadband connections.

The property is brand new (as in, not finished until the day before I'm
due to move in!) but is located on a street that is serviced by NTL.

Now, not knowing much about how the cable infrastructure works, are NTL
likely to be able to bring cable into the building with ease?

Tried asking NTL, but they couldn't give me an answer because everyone
that would know had gone home apparently. But if theres a decent chance
of it happening, I'll hold off and wait to see if they accept my online
order. If it's unlikely, I'll go ahead and order through BT.


Well, if there is a green cabinet in the street there's a 90% chance they
will somehow get you involved, but it would depend on the uptake of their
services etc.

You say 'property', but not what type of property. Flat or house? If it was
flats, owned flats and not letted, then you could casually bring the topic
up and get some naems and addresses to produce to NTL to say 'hey, we want
ntl, and htere's a green cabinet' - but it's not uncommon not to be able to
get NTL even if there is a cabinet there, they wont dig up the road to take
lines to the flats from the green box unless it's in their interest. Your
custom is of interest, but I'm sure they mentioned recently that they were
abandoning plans to expand their existing network, including roadworks, to
concentrate on current broadband (and other service) uptake, and to keep
customers.

I would call tomorrow morning some-time if you get the chance, use
http://www.saynoto0870.com if you want another number that isn't
extortionate to call, 0800 052 2000 should be okay however.


  #3  
Old January 30th 06, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 73
Default New Builds and NTL Cable


"silstorm" wrote in message
...
I'm moving in to a new property next week and trying to arrange telephone
and broadband connections.

The property is brand new (as in, not finished until the day before I'm
due to move in!) but is located on a street that is serviced by NTL.

Now, not knowing much about how the cable infrastructure works, are NTL
likely to be able to bring cable into the building with ease?

Tried asking NTL, but they couldn't give me an answer because everyone
that would know had gone home apparently. But if theres a decent chance
of it happening, I'll hold off and wait to see if they accept my online
order. If it's unlikely, I'll go ahead and order through BT.


Depends where in the country you are .

Did the address exist prior to the new build? If it did, you may want to
forget to mention that it's new build.

If it's a brand new address, you'll need to speak to someone who knows how
to create a DAF (Database Amendment Form) to get the new address added to
their system.

Either way, if you succeed in placing an order, if the property doesn't have
a "swept-t" or "cat flap" outside in the pavement, the install engineer
won't complete the job & will either:
#1. cancel the order
#2. send your order to whoever to survey the install - they will then either
cancel the job, or arrange for the necessary pavement work to be done.

If you place an order & don't get installed, make sure you cancel the DD, as
billing don't always get told, for some reason!

0800800150 is BT's number. :-)


  #4  
Old January 30th 06, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
silstorm
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default New Builds and NTL Cable

Taylor wrote:

Well, if there is a green cabinet in the street there's a 90% chance they
will somehow get you involved, but it would depend on the uptake of their
services etc.


I'm 95% sure there is a green cabinet at the end of the street (5 small
terraced properies between the new building and the cabinet).

You say 'property', but not what type of property. Flat or house? If it was
flats, owned flats and not letted, then you could casually bring the topic
up and get some naems and addresses to produce to NTL to say 'hey, we want
ntl, and htere's a green cabinet' - but it's not uncommon not to be able to
get NTL even if there is a cabinet there, they wont dig up the road to take
lines to the flats from the green box unless it's in their interest. Your
custom is of interest, but I'm sure they mentioned recently that they were
abandoning plans to expand their existing network, including roadworks, to
concentrate on current broadband (and other service) uptake, and to keep
customers.


It's an apartment block, albeit with only 10 apartments. It's basically
been constructed at the bottom of the road, like so;

---
| |
| |

(the --- is the new block)

I would call tomorrow morning some-time if you get the chance, use
http://www.saynoto0870.com if you want another number that isn't
extortionate to call, 0800 052 2000 should be okay however.


Thanks, have placed an online order anyway so no doubt will get a call
from them tomorrow when they can't find the address on the system anyway.
  #5  
Old January 30th 06, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 101
Default New Builds and NTL Cable



silstorm wrote:
I'm moving in to a new property next week and trying to arrange
telephone and broadband connections.

The property is brand new (as in, not finished until the day before
I'm due to move in!) but is located on a street that is serviced by
NTL.
Now, not knowing much about how the cable infrastructure works, are
NTL likely to be able to bring cable into the building with ease?

Tried asking NTL, but they couldn't give me an answer because
everyone
that would know had gone home apparently. But if theres a decent
chance of it happening, I'll hold off and wait to see if they accept
my online order. If it's unlikely, I'll go ahead and order through
BT.


If it's new build it is doubtful whether NTL will be willing to
provide service. There are whole estates in this part of the world
where they have put in all the duct work & boxes in but still wont
provide. I've also known new build properties on cabled streets to be
turned down. Think it will depend on the phase of the moon & whether
the person you talk to/deals with your online application is that
bothered as to whether you actually manage to get service from them or
not...

Best of luck...


  #6  
Old January 30th 06, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
barry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15
Default New Builds and NTL Cable

silstorm wrote:
I'm moving in to a new property next week and trying to arrange
telephone and broadband connections.

The property is brand new (as in, not finished until the day before I'm
due to move in!) but is located on a street that is serviced by NTL.

Now, not knowing much about how the cable infrastructure works, are NTL
likely to be able to bring cable into the building with ease?

Tried asking NTL, but they couldn't give me an answer because everyone
that would know had gone home apparently. But if theres a decent chance
of it happening, I'll hold off and wait to see if they accept my online
order. If it's unlikely, I'll go ahead and order through BT.



well, I'm in a new build too. They tend to build the wires in to the
property, if you see what I mean. There's a Sky dish on my roof, and I
have a point to plug a box in in the lounge. I live in an NTL cabled
area, but NTL was not supplied to the house. In fact, when the early
part of my street was developed, NTL cabled it. The new builds that were
built on what was a field, were never cabled for some reason I'm yet to
determine. I've now got to put up with more expensive and a tenth of the
speed, BT broadband.
  #7  
Old January 30th 06, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 699
Default New Builds and NTL Cable


"silstorm" wrote in message
...
Taylor wrote:


NTL used to be keen to provide cable to everyone and would cable up to new
build [flats] and provision. Now they charge the developer.

OTOH BT bring cable into the building, provision wire & sockets etc., and
pay the developer approx. £70 per dwelling to install*. Guess which the
developer will have put in.


* BT get this back by charging the first occupier £100 to install a line.


  #8  
Old January 30th 06, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
john
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default New Builds and NTL Cable


"silstorm" wrote in message
...
I'm moving in to a new property next week and trying to arrange telephone
and broadband connections.

The property is brand new (as in, not finished until the day before I'm
due to move in!) but is located on a street that is serviced by NTL.

Now, not knowing much about how the cable infrastructure works, are NTL
likely to be able to bring cable into the building with ease?

Tried asking NTL, but they couldn't give me an answer because everyone
that would know had gone home apparently. But if theres a decent chance
of it happening, I'll hold off and wait to see if they accept my online
order. If it's unlikely, I'll go ahead and order through BT.


Ask NTL and they *WILL* tell you, or alternatively send a picture of your
house and the road. How would you expect anyone to tell you on here? NTL
will do a site survey and this is all explained clearly on the site when and
if you order. They will also give the information should you care to phone
and make the effort!
They use a big drill to put the cable through the wall.


  #9  
Old January 30th 06, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 101
Default New Builds and NTL Cable



john wrote:
"silstorm" wrote in message
...
I'm moving in to a new property next week and trying to arrange
telephone and broadband connections.

The property is brand new (as in, not finished until the day before
I'm due to move in!) but is located on a street that is serviced by
NTL. Now, not knowing much about how the cable infrastructure
works, are
NTL likely to be able to bring cable into the building with ease?

Tried asking NTL, but they couldn't give me an answer because
everyone that would know had gone home apparently. But if theres a
decent chance of it happening, I'll hold off and wait to see if
they
accept my online order. If it's unlikely, I'll go ahead and order
through BT.


Ask NTL and they *WILL* tell you, or alternatively send a picture of
your house and the road. How would you expect anyone to tell you on
here? NTL will do a site survey and this is all explained clearly
on
the site when and if you order. They will also give the information
should you care to phone and make the effort!
They use a big drill to put the cable through the wall.


Bet mine's bigger ;-p


  #10  
Old January 30th 06, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
silstorm
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default New Builds and NTL Cable

john wrote:

Ask NTL and they *WILL* tell you, or alternatively send a picture of your
house and the road. How would you expect anyone to tell you on here? NTL
will do a site survey and this is all explained clearly on the site when and
if you order. They will also give the information should you care to phone
and make the effort!
They use a big drill to put the cable through the wall.


Yes, I know they *will*, they just couldn't at the time I called (which
was quite clearly explained in my original message).

If you read it again, I wasn't asking people to tell me whether they
could - I was trying to guage an idea from people's own experiences as
to whether it was going to be likely, based on the circumstances.
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I use/convert the broadband thick white cable as cat5 cable? none uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 18 July 1st 05 10:18 PM
AOL Over NTL Cable BB PhilÅ uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 3 May 12th 05 08:49 PM
DSL vs Cable Fitzy_bhoy uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 11 July 24th 04 12:26 AM
cable vs BT m.darbey uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 4 July 23rd 04 09:15 PM
NTL Cable or DSL Adie uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 12 February 16th 04 03:28 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright ©2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.