Draytek Vigor 2800G - Over the top for single home user or worth the money?

Old January 31st 06, 12:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rab C

Default Draytek Vigor 2800G - Over the top for single home user or worth the money?

Draytek Vigor 2800G - Is it over the top for single home user or worth
the money?

I'm about to take the plunge into broadband and after reading many posts
in different groups, have decided that a combined ADSL modem/router,
with its built-in hardware firewall, is the best way to go. I've also
decided that a wireless network will be the most suitable for my home
setup (2 PCs, printer and an occasional laptop).

As ever, the question is "which wireless router?" People whose views
I've come to respect over the years on Usenet seem to swear by the
Draytek Vigor but it is quite a bit more expensive than a whole group of
other routers that seem to get more than reasonable write-ups on the
ADSL Guide website and various PC magazines I've seen.

For a single home user, is the 2800G really worth the extra money for
things like its comprehensive firewall protection or would a cheaper
model still do the job OK? With an always-on setup does the Vigor really
give better protection than other routers and is it more stable/reliable
than others? Is it really a case of you get what you pay for?

I don't intend to do any gaming with my new broadband connection but I
would probably be downloading more music and streaming audio/video clips
etc. as well as simple surfing and e-mail.

Any views would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rab
--
Rab
Old January 31st 06, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

My Draytek 2600 was utterly reliable and I would still have it but I need
some of the 2800 facilities. You can pick up a second-hand 2600 for 60 or so
quid on Ebay. A small price to pay for reliability and security.

Peter Crosland

Old January 31st 06, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

I have the 2800G and find it an excellent router, came from a WAG54G so
anything has to be better! The router is easy to configure and was online
within 10 minutes. Firmware upgrading is simple and worked first time. Did
have a minor issue with wireless connectivity not working, but managed to
get around this.

SNMP works well with my reporting package and even the syslog program
supplied with the router works well and first time.

"Rab C" wrote in message
[...]

Anything sent to From: address may not be received