Finally we are to get broadband, which ISP to go for?

Old February 1st 06, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Default Finally we are to get broadband, which ISP to go for?

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote in uk.telecom:

Now you are taking the mick. Do you really want to be an AOLer?

No, it depends on what level of trafic use might be wanted. As
someone else has regularly pointed out, for someone who wants
an above average (OK, some describe it as "unsustainable")
level of traffic, above the ("fair usage") limits many ISPs
are using these days, AOL isn't a bad choice.

Widely blocked on sight for spam support. Do you want to be able
to send email to anyone who filters against RBLs?
Was clean for spam support but becoming better known in the blocklists
as time passes.
PLEASE don't sign up with a spam supporting ISP, it's almost as bad

as being a spammer yourself. :-)

I think you're now 'taking the mick' - I've never before seen anyone do
a critique of ISPs based on whether their mail servers are appearing on
blacklists/blocklists, and almost any ISP which has been in your words
"clean" could be listed tomorrow.

Many these days are getting their own domains to reduce the pains of
switching ISP, but I don't know how many choose their next ISP based
on mail services not being blacklisted... I'd guess very few! PGM.

Old February 1st 06, 11:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Peter M
wrote:
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote in uk.telecom:

Widely blocked on sight for spam support. Do you want to be able
to send email to anyone who filters against RBLs?

I think you're now 'taking the mick' - I've never before seen anyone do
a critique of ISPs based on whether their mail servers are appearing on
blacklists/blocklists,

I refer you to point 1.

and almost any ISP which has been in your words
"clean" could be listed tomorrow.

A responsible ISP will not be "listed tomorrow" at all, as they kill spammer
accounts in a timely fashion once they know about them and will not accept
known spammer business in the first place.

Naturally, a spammer can set up shop on any provider. If the provider does
nothing about it, or even worse, moves the spammer to another IP block, then
they can expect a listing. The question remains:

a) Do you want to sent mail to anyone who filters? If so forget it if you
have chosen unwisely.

b) Are you happy to provide funds to an ISP who doesn't care about the abuse
of email? Do you think others are happy to accept the spew that comes from
ISPs like Tiscali [1] and Wanapoo?

Many these days are getting their own domains to reduce the pains of
switching ISP,

A worthy idea of course. It makes a bad choice redeemable.

but I don't know how many choose their next ISP based
on mail services not being blacklisted.

Not enough, mainly I suppose through lack of knowledge.

.. I'd guess very few!

Sadly I have to agree with you.

[1] Rumour has it that Tiscali UK is starting to clean up its act.

Old February 1st 06, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Soruk

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 10:36:53 +0000, Peter M wrote:
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote in uk.telecom:

Widely blocked on sight for spam support. Do you want to be able
to send email to anyone who filters against RBLs?
Was clean for spam support but becoming better known in the blocklists
as time passes.
PLEASE don't sign up with a spam supporting ISP, it's almost as bad

as being a spammer yourself. :-)

I think you're now 'taking the mick' - I've never before seen anyone do
a critique of ISPs based on whether their mail servers are appearing on
blacklists/blocklists, and almost any ISP which has been in your words
"clean" could be listed tomorrow.

That also depends on the ISP's abuse department.

--
-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
Eridani Star System

MailStripper - http://mailstripper.eridani.co.uk/ - SMTP spam filter