Permanent ADSL connection?

Old February 1st 06, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon

Default Permanent ADSL connection?

My ADSL modem has a dial-on-demand feature and a time-out setting. I'd
like to have my connection permanently enabled. The reason for this is
that I want to connect to my system remotely. I have a Linksys NSLU2
(slug) storage device plugged into my modem/router. I can connect to
this ok from a remote location when my home computer has been switched
on and has established a connection. How can I make sure that the
modem-router-slug system is permanently accessible from outside even if
my home computer hasn't been switched on?

Thanks

Old February 1st 06, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Slugsie

"Simon" wrote in message
oups.com...
My ADSL modem has a dial-on-demand feature and a time-out setting. I'd
like to have my connection permanently enabled. The reason for this is
that I want to connect to my system remotely. I have a Linksys NSLU2
(slug) storage device plugged into my modem/router. I can connect to
this ok from a remote location when my home computer has been switched
on and has established a connection. How can I make sure that the
modem-router-slug system is permanently accessible from outside even if
my home computer hasn't been switched on?

Don't know about your router specifically, but the routers I've had, if you
set the time-out to zero it stays permanently connected.

--
/Slugsie

Old February 1st 06, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

"Simon" wrote in message
oups.com...
: My ADSL modem has a dial-on-demand feature and a time-out setting. I'd
: like to have my connection permanently enabled. The reason for this is
: that I want to connect to my system remotely. I have a Linksys NSLU2
: (slug) storage device plugged into my modem/router. I can connect to
: this ok from a remote location when my home computer has been switched
: on and has established a connection. How can I make sure that the
: modem-router-slug system is permanently accessible from outside even if
: my home computer hasn't been switched on?
:
: Thanks
:
I don't personal know about your modem and router,but I have a dlink dsl
504t that is permanently connected and will re-conect if for some reason it
has to- with out any computors being on.

Hope this helps
Chris

--
Cheap As Chips Broadband http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk

Old February 1st 06, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Simon wrote:
My ADSL modem has a dial-on-demand feature and a time-out setting. I'd
like to have my connection permanently enabled. The reason for this is
that I want to connect to my system remotely. I have a Linksys NSLU2
(slug) storage device plugged into my modem/router. I can connect to
this ok from a remote location when my home computer has been switched
on and has established a connection. How can I make sure that the
modem-router-slug system is permanently accessible from outside even if
my home computer hasn't been switched on?

Thanks

If Slugsie's suggestion isn't an option, you could always set up a ping
in a cron job on the NSLU2 to keep the connection live.