XPPro/Win 98

Old February 1st 06, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default XPPro/Win 98

I've got an old laptop with a 500mhz processor and 64mb RAM and want to
be able to connect to broadband via a wireless network. My options

1. Install Win 98
2. Install XPPro and increase the RAM to 256mb
3. Start again with a new PC

Anyone any thoughts

Thanks

Old February 1st 06, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
john

wrote in message
ps.com...
I've got an old laptop with a 500mhz processor and 64mb RAM and want to
be able to connect to broadband via a wireless network. My options

1. Install Win 98
2. Install XPPro and increase the RAM to 256mb
3. Start again with a new PC

Anyone any thoughts

Thanks

Install 98 and increase RAM to 512 if you can. Other than that, get a new
cheap PC, but nothing with less than 512MB for XP as it crawls.

Old February 1st 06, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AMO

wrote in message
ps.com...
I've got an old laptop with a 500mhz processor and 64mb RAM and want to
be able to connect to broadband via a wireless network. My options

1. Install Win 98
2. Install XPPro and increase the RAM to 256mb
3. Start again with a new PC

Anyone any thoughts

Thanks

Start again. If you have no major need for portability, go for a cheap
desktop.

The laptop you describe is slow in every possible component. Even if you
upgrade the memory, the CPU and hard drive are such bottlenecks that you'd
give up.

No point in having broadband if your PC is too slow to cope with it.

You might be able to get 20 for the laptop to go towards your new PC. Any
more and you'd be ripping off the person buying it off you.

AMO

Old February 1st 06, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

john wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...
I've got an old laptop with a 500mhz processor and 64mb RAM and want to
be able to connect to broadband via a wireless network. My options

1. Install Win 98
2. Install XPPro and increase the RAM to 256mb
3. Start again with a new PC

Anyone any thoughts

Thanks

Install 98 and increase RAM to 512 if you can. Other than that, get a new
cheap PC, but nothing with less than 512MB for XP as it crawls.

XP will work fine on 256mb but you have to be sharp, turn off many of the
animations, do not use resource hungry anti virus/firewall packages like
norton and mcafee. And use a combination of msconfig and hijackthis on a
regular basis to keep your system clean.

Out of the box, 256mb is quite enough, it is over time, when all the ****
that people install adds itself to the startup process, and hooks itself
into internet explorer then we have slow down.

Gaz

Old February 1st 06, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Des

wrote in message
ps.com...
I've got an old laptop with a 500mhz processor and 64mb RAM and want to
be able to connect to broadband via a wireless network. My options

1. Install Win 98
2. Install XPPro and increase the RAM to 256mb
3. Start again with a new PC

Anyone any thoughts

Thanks

I run XP on an old Advent 500mhz laptop 256mb of ram with a Belkin pcmcia
wireless card to a broadband wireless network, It has been working
perfectly for the last year, is rarely off and probably hasn't even been
rebooted for at least a month,
I use AVG as the Antivirus , it runs powerpoint, word and excell etc
perfectly, My only gripe is Oh for a larger screen...............

Des

Old February 1st 06, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 21:27:30 GMT, in uk.telecom.broadband , "john"
wrote:

Install 98

You must be mad...

and increase RAM to 512 if you can. Other than that, get a new
cheap PC, but nothing with less than 512MB for XP as it crawls.

This isn't necessarily true - I have a PC my kids use for games with
256MB and it runs fine with XPPro.

Obviously if you load the PC up with P2P etc it'll crawl...
Mark McIntyre