Which? says NTL is the worst broadband ISP

Old February 2nd 06, 02:48 AM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom.broadband
Mister C

Default Which? says NTL is the worst broadband ISP

-------------------- QUOTE --------------------------
Don't buy

NTL was one of the worst broadband providers in last year’s survey
and was also rated well below average on every point this time.

The links to our Best Buys above show only some of the companies and
packages available. For a wider range of options please check our
tables for companies offering the following - 512kbps services,
capped and uncapped. And services faster than 512kbps, both capped
and uncapped.

There are many other broadband suppliers that we weren’t able to
gather information about in the survey, so we can’t say whether they
should be Best Buys. But we’ve collected details of their services so
that you can compare the biggest range of ISPs possible.

Updated February 2006

-------------------- END QUOTE --------------------------
http://www.which.co.uk/ec/broadband/bb_bbg.jsp
Old February 2nd 06, 08:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
chappycheeky

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 02:48:10 GMT, Mister C wrote:

-------------------- END QUOTE --------------------------
http://www.which.co.uk/ec/broadband/bb_bbg.jsp

Could you let us have your user name and password so that we can all
log on and see this password protected item?
Old February 2nd 06, 09:16 AM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom.broadband
David K

[...]

NTL is not all bad in my experience.

I am NOT an employee of NTL and would be delighted to knock them if I got
the chance as they built 2 big ignorant distribution boxes at the side of my
house which attract grafitti. However ....

Scenario - Christmas Eve (2005) morning (Saturday)
Problem - new Wireless Network won't work
Wireless Supplier diagnoses problem with NTL modem
NTL agree with this diagnosis over the telephhone
NTL book engineer to come out & replace modem
I am resigned to not having the network running until after Christmas
NTL assure me engineer will be with me Christmas Eve afternoon
I get the salt out!!
NTL engineer arrives 1 hour ahead of promised time
NTL engineer replaces modem, registers it with network & leaves latest
software
I get wireless network up and running within 15 minutes of his departure
All is well in my household. EVERYTHING is working as it should
Did I mention it was Christmas Eve & Saturday?
There is a Santa Claus!!

As far as connectivity etc is concerned there has been little or no
downtime. My children would be the first to let me know if there were
problems in that respect. Anytime I have had to contact support (which is
extremely rare) I have managed to get things sorted with the minimum of fuss
& delay.

For what it is worth I am based in Belfast.

Later .....

David

Old February 2nd 06, 12:07 PM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

David K wrote:
[...]

Thats an impressive service considering the time of year.

Old February 2nd 06, 12:44 PM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom.broadband
David K

Beck wrote:
David K wrote:
[...]

I was truly astounded at their response. Although I would suggest it would
have been impressive whatever the time of year.

That's why I felt it worth posting. Credit where credit is due etc.......

David

Old February 2nd 06, 12:56 PM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

David K wrote:
I was truly astounded at their response. Although I would suggest it
would have been impressive whatever the time of year.

That's why I felt it worth posting. Credit where credit is due
etc.......

Indeed. People are very vocal when it comes to complaining but very rarely
mention if they have a good service.

Old February 2nd 06, 02:48 PM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Beck wrote:

Indeed. People are very vocal when it comes to complaining but
very rarely mention if they have a good service.

One bit of good service from BTW/PN was for my sister's ADSL to
be up and running at least 48 hours before the suggested time
(of "after 12:00 on 24/12/2005" which I felt might become a
date of 28/12 or 29/12 and have missed her birthday), and RM
for a package posted on Monday 19/12 to have arrived 23/12 :-)

Old February 2nd 06, 03:52 PM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Peter M wrote:

posted on Monday 19/12 to have arrived 23/12 :-)

oops - it was there on 21/12 and in use the same
or the next day - she was certainly online before
Friday, once she had fitted the PCI ethernet card,
with a few hints from me over the phone :-) Peter.

Old February 2nd 06, 04:37 PM posted to ntl.discussion.broadband.cm,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Peter M wrote:
Peter M wrote:

posted on Monday 19/12 to have arrived 23/12 :-)

oops - it was there on 21/12 and in use the same
or the next day - she was certainly online before
Friday, once she had fitted the PCI ethernet card,
with a few hints from me over the phone :-) Peter.

My initial adsl connection (btyahoo) was ready 2-3 days before it should
have been

Old February 2nd 06, 05:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Walter Briscoe wrote:

How can there be more than one best buy?
Broadband: Best Buy guide

LOL... I suppose it all depends on the needs of the end user, as
a number will find their use so low that paying 19.99 or more can
be quite expensive if a 1 GB limit is adequate for them, while it
will be a small portion wanting 20 / 50 / 100 / 200+ GB a month.

Our Best Buys don't just have to do very well for overall customer
satisfaction - they also have to score top marks for service and
be more than average for ease of set-up, connection speed,
reliability and technical support.

.... and have sufficient consumers to respond to our questions to
be able to give any rating... Hence no users of Claranet, Demon,
FreeUK, NDO, Tiscali, UK Online, Wanadoo, Zetnet (and many more).

MetroNet

now owned by Plus.Net and changes to T+C due any time soon...

Freedom 2 Surf

which has had various complaints about service, of late...

Zen
Nildram
Eclipse

PlusNet scored well on all the main ratings. Its Broadband Plus service
comes at speeds of up to 2Mbps for £14.99 a month.
Technically there's no cap on usage

Well, there's now a guideline of 5GB after which there will be some
additional level(s) of traffic "calming" (ie making it slower) so a
user might be better off with a different account/ISP.

Waitrose with a 2Mbps service for £18.99 a month, and Force 9, with
capped and uncapped services from £14.99 a month,

Force 9 is another trading name of Plus.Net and has the same traffic
calming in place on their "uncapped" account as for Broadband Plus.

There are many other broadband suppliers that we weren't able to gather
information about in the survey, so we can't say whether they should be
Best Buys. But we've collected details of their services so that you can
compare the biggest range of ISPs possible.

I hope they listed at least Demon and UK Online, etc.... but it
might have been better to link to the BT checker and/or ADSLguide.