2mb Tiscali reports as 1mb???

Old February 2nd 06, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon Manley

Default 2mb Tiscali reports as 1mb???

Hi all

I've just gone on to Tiscali 2mb broadband, having migrated from Wanadoo
because I was experiencing too many problems with them.

The broadband connection is working but, although my router reports a
download speed of 2272 (i.e. 2mb), every speed test I do reveals that I have
only got a 1mb connection (line downloads at approx 700 to 900k). Now I know
that I should be getting 1600 to 1800k and I am certain my line supports 2mb
(the exchange is literally a stone's throw away).

This broadband has only just been activated and I've been having problems
logging on to Tiscali's web site as it won't yet accept my user name and/or
password.

The reason I migrated from Wanadoo was because Wanadoo were supposed to have
upgraded my line from 1mb to 2mb but, after 6 months of still being on 1mb,
I gave up hassling them and migrated.

As stupid as it might sound, would the reason for what appears to be a
slower than paid for connection be because Tiscali are still finalising my
migration? According to their gumpf, my line wasn't supposed to be active
until 9/2/06 - another week.

TIA for any advice

--
Jon Manley

Old February 2nd 06, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Invisible Man

Sounds very fast for Tiscali. Large numbers of people still have a lot
of problems with them. When I had Tiscali broadband it was slower than
dial-up most of the time. The forums were full of complaints. Took me 2
or 3 letters to the chief exec to get my line released.

I hope for your sake they have improved recently.

Old February 3rd 06, 01:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Stevens

"Jon Manley" wrote in message
Hi all

I've just gone on to Tiscali 2mb broadband, having migrated from Wanadoo
because I was experiencing too many problems with them.

The broadband connection is working but, although my router reports a
download speed of 2272 (i.e. 2mb), every speed test I do reveals that I

have
only got a 1mb connection (line downloads at approx 700 to 900k). Now I

know
that I should be getting 1600 to 1800k and I am certain my line supports

2mb
(the exchange is literally a stone's throw away).

I am on 1mb with them.. And commonly see 200 - 350kbps max. Welcome to the
club : ((

Old February 3rd 06, 08:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John DH

"The Invisible Man" wrote in message
news
Sounds very fast for Tiscali. Large numbers of people still have a lot
of problems with them. When I had Tiscali broadband it was slower than
dial-up most of the time. The forums were full of complaints. Took me 2
or 3 letters to the chief exec to get my line released.

I hope for your sake they have improved recently.

No, still the same. Speeds range from acceptable in the morning, to abysmal
by tea time (as slow as dial-up). Tech support is a joke, they do not
actually know anything about their products or broadband, they just read
from a script.
As regards their recent advertising, I think its just plain criminal that
they advertise something that they know they cannot and will not supply.
I also hope they read this and throw me off of my connection.

Sorry for the rant, I feel better now.

John DH

Old February 3rd 06, 04:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon Manley

Well, here's a shock ........... I'm now getting full on 2mb broadband after
receiving a confirmation email from Tiscali this morning.

Did a speed test - 1872k
downloaded a large file from web - sustainable download at 208k

It has varied throughout the day but never as low as 1mb - 1.3mb was about
the slowest.

--
Jon Manley

Old February 3rd 06, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 01:20:30 -0000, "John Stevens"
wrote:

"Jon Manley" wrote in message
Hi all

I've just gone on to Tiscali 2mb broadband, having migrated from Wanadoo
because I was experiencing too many problems with them.

The broadband connection is working but, although my router reports a
download speed of 2272 (i.e. 2mb), every speed test I do reveals that I

have
only got a 1mb connection (line downloads at approx 700 to 900k). Now I

know
that I should be getting 1600 to 1800k and I am certain my line supports

2mb
(the exchange is literally a stone's throw away).

I am on 1mb with them.. And commonly see 200 - 350kbps max. Welcome to the
club : ((

Something I can't get to grips with is the reasons why readers of this
newsgroup are on, remain or signup with, Broadband suppliers who are
sub-standard. Anyone care to explain?

David Bradley
Old February 6th 06, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

Something I can't get to grips with is the reasons why readers of this
newsgroup are on, remain or signup with, Broadband suppliers who are
sub-standard. Anyone care to explain?

David Bradley

company x sell 2 meg broadband for 25 a month
company y sell 2 meg broadband for 15 a month

poeple sign up with company y without checking it, poeple find out it's
crap, poeple moan etc

Old February 6th 06, 11:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Geoff wrote:
Something I can't get to grips with is the reasons why readers of
this newsgroup are on, remain or signup with, Broadband suppliers
who are sub-standard. Anyone care to explain?

David Bradley

company x sell 2 meg broadband for 25 a month
company y sell 2 meg broadband for 15 a month

poeple sign up with company y without checking it, poeple find out
it's crap, poeple moan etc

Or people sign up for company x who then effectively change their TOC,
people find out it changes for the worst & start moaning...