RJ45 cable for SpeedTouch 330

Old February 2nd 06, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

Default RJ45 cable for SpeedTouch 330

I've just got to the above free modem with Tiscali and have already got
a RJ45 network cable. Is it possible for me to convert or to get a
converter to connect the RJ11 cable to my network one? I can buy a
longer RJ11 cable but didn't think I would bother if I can easily buy
something to connect the two.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks, Tom

Old February 2nd 06, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

"Tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've just got to the above free modem with Tiscali and have already got
a RJ45 network cable. Is it possible for me to convert or to get a
converter to connect the RJ11 cable to my network one? I can buy a
longer RJ11 cable but didn't think I would bother if I can easily buy
something to connect the two.

I was under the impression that the Speedtouch 330 was a USB connection, not
Ethernet. At least, mine was. The RJ11 is to connect the Speedtouch to
the telephone line via a microfilter.
--
Keith Willcocks

Old February 2nd 06, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

Yes, you're right but was wondering if you can use the ethernet cable
to connect to the phone socket (or to the RJ11 which is connected
already to the phone socket)

Old February 2nd 06, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

Old February 2nd 06, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Keith Willcocks

"Tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, you're right but was wondering if you can use the ethernet cable
to connect to the phone socket (or to the RJ11 which is connected
already to the phone socket)

Why would you want to? Connecting the computer directly to the 'phone will
not work. The modem has to decode the signal for the PC. The only time
you would use the RJ45 cable is to connect to a router which would either
incorporate a modem or connect to the phone line through one. What you
should have is the RJ11 cable from microfilter to modem and USB cable from
modem to PC. I cannot see where the RJ45 could be involved.
--
Keith Willcocks

Old February 2nd 06, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

Old February 2nd 06, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

Apologies for the multiple posting, I'm not sure why its doing this. I
don't think I'm explaining this very well! Was wondering if I could
somehow connect the RJ45 cable between the phone socket and the modem
using converters. I imagine not so I'll just get a longer RJ11 cord.

Old February 2nd 06, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 12:13:45 -0800, Tom wrote:

Apologies for the multiple posting, I'm not sure why its doing this. I
don't think I'm explaining this very well! Was wondering if I could
somehow connect the RJ45 cable between the phone socket and the modem
using converters. I imagine not so I'll just get a longer RJ11 cord.

A longer RJ11 would most likely be cheaper and less faffing around.
But don't pay silly prices for one ie try to avoid PC World, Currys etc.

Dave

Old February 2nd 06, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Tom wrote:
Apologies for the multiple posting, I'm not sure why its doing this.
I don't think I'm explaining this very well! Was wondering if I
could
somehow connect the RJ45 cable between the phone socket and the
modem
using converters. I imagine not so I'll just get a longer RJ11
cord.

Simple answer no, complicated answer yes if you have a couple of in
line sockets you may get away with it but you would need 2 x RJ11 to
RJ11 cables as well as the in line sockets, as well as the patch lead.
It would be simpler to go out & buy a longer RJ11 lead, as long as it
was a good quality twisted pair cable..

Old February 2nd 06, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Tom wrote:
Yes, you're right but was wondering if you can use the ethernet
cable
to connect to the phone socket (or to the RJ11 which is connected
already to the phone socket)

Please include part of the posting you are replying to as it is
getting very confusing with your multiple postings & some ISP's
servers tend to lag anyway...