Broadband on a second PC ??

Old February 3rd 06, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
andy100

Default Broadband on a second PC ??

Hello.

I have broadband at 1mbps on an upstairs PC for the kids (Wanadoo).

We are wanting to buy a PC for downstairs so that we can use broadband when
the kids are in bed.

Now, since i already pay for the kid's 1mbps broadband, could i connect the
new PC into the line downstairs (assuming i buy another broadband modem) and
use the same connection, unplugging theirs (so that i don't have to pay 2
lots of broadband) ??

The lines are the same telephone number and we would not be on the internet
on the downstairs PC when the kids were using theirs, i.e. only 1 PC would
be connected at any given time.

Are there any possible problems with this set up, or is it feasible ??.

Many thanks
Andrew

Old February 3rd 06, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
barry

andy100 wrote:
Hello.

I have broadband at 1mbps on an upstairs PC for the kids (Wanadoo).

We are wanting to buy a PC for downstairs so that we can use broadband when
the kids are in bed.

Now, since i already pay for the kid's 1mbps broadband, could i connect the
new PC into the line downstairs (assuming i buy another broadband modem) and
use the same connection, unplugging theirs (so that i don't have to pay 2
lots of broadband) ??

The lines are the same telephone number and we would not be on the internet
on the downstairs PC when the kids were using theirs, i.e. only 1 PC would
be connected at any given time.

Are there any possible problems with this set up, or is it feasible ??.

Many thanks
Andrew

should work in theory, though havin two modems on one line - even if
one's off - can bugger the connection. Why not look at a wireless
network solution? You'll have to buy a modem anyway...
Old February 3rd 06, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

andy100 wrote:
Hello.

I have broadband at 1mbps on an upstairs PC for the kids (Wanadoo).

We are wanting to buy a PC for downstairs so that we can use
broadband when the kids are in bed.

Now, since i already pay for the kid's 1mbps broadband, could i
connect the new PC into the line downstairs (assuming i buy another
broadband modem) and use the same connection, unplugging theirs (so
that i don't have to pay 2 lots of broadband) ??

The lines are the same telephone number and we would not be on the
internet on the downstairs PC when the kids were using theirs, i.e.
only 1 PC would be connected at any given time.

Are there any possible problems with this set up, or is it feasible
??.

No I think you've covered it all, the unplugging one modem before
pluggin the other, not attempting to use both at the same time
etc......

Having said that, why go to all that when you could easily buy a wifi
router which would mean that you don't have to unplug/plugin you would
be able to use both at the same time & be able to use the printer on
one machine from the other, even share files if you wanted to. It's
not expensive, it's relatively easy to do & is far more flexible that
the way you were planning on going

Old February 3rd 06, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

andy100 submitted this idea :
I have broadband at 1mbps on an upstairs PC for the kids (Wanadoo).

We are wanting to buy a PC for downstairs so that we can use broadband when
the kids are in bed.

Now, since i already pay for the kid's 1mbps broadband, could i connect the
new PC into the line downstairs (assuming i buy another broadband modem) and
use the same connection, unplugging theirs (so that i don't have to pay 2
lots of broadband) ??

Why would you pay for two broadbands?

There are several solutions...

1. Have the kids computer share its internet connection via a LAN
connection. This would involve the kids PC being on for it to share.

2. Unplug the modem and move it between the two systems as required.

3. Get a combined modem/router into which both of your PC's can be
plugged using a LAN, which would enable them both to use the Internet
individually or at the same time. Each PC (as in 1) would need a
network card.

4. As above, but instead of a wired LAN use a modem/router/wireless
access point in one box, then add (if not already fitted) a wireless
card to each PC.

5. Is a mixture of 3 and 4. A part wired and wireless LAN.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old February 3rd 06, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[L.]

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 18:47:07 -0000, "andy100" wrote:

Hello.

I have broadband at 1mbps on an upstairs PC for the kids (Wanadoo).

We are wanting to buy a PC for downstairs so that we can use broadband when
the kids are in bed.

Now, since i already pay for the kid's 1mbps broadband, could i connect the
new PC into the line downstairs (assuming i buy another broadband modem) and
use the same connection, unplugging theirs (so that i don't have to pay 2
lots of broadband) ??

The lines are the same telephone number and we would not be on the internet
on the downstairs PC when the kids were using theirs, i.e. only 1 PC would
be connected at any given time.

Are there any possible problems with this set up, or is it feasible ??.

Yes. Only one modem must be connected to the telephone line at any
given time.

The easier solution, IMO, is to run a length of crossover Cat5 cable
between the two PCs (assuming both have network adapters), which you
can buy from (e.g.) ebuyer (Quickfind code: 43542 for 30 metres, less
than 9 pounds) and set up Internet Connection Sharing on the computer
with the modem.

The disadvantage of this solution is running the cable and having the
computer with the modem on while the other is connected.

Of course, you could always go wireless. To go wireless you'll need a
wireless router (60.00 GBP) plus wireless PCI cards (25-45 each
perhaps).

HIH

[L.]
Old February 3rd 06, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AMO

"andy100" wrote in message
Now, since i already pay for the kid's 1mbps broadband, could i connect
the
new PC into the line downstairs (assuming i buy another broadband modem)
and
use the same connection, unplugging theirs (so that i don't have to pay 2
lots of broadband) ??
Many thanks
Andrew

The item you are looking for is called an ADSL modem router. These devices
act as a modem like you have but do a little bit more. One end plugs into
the phone socket like your modem, but the device has several network ports
open for you to plug in network cables to all your computers.

These days routers also have wireless capability. That way computers can
both connect with either a standard network cable (wired) or also via a USB
Wireless Network Adapter (wireless).

Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Firewall Router with 4-port 10/100
switch

Netgear WG111 Wireless 54Mbps USB 2.0 Adapter

(I believe that PC World currently offer the above items competitively as
well).

AMO

Old February 3rd 06, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

[L.] wrote:

The easier solution, IMO, is to run a length of crossover Cat5 cable
between the two PCs (assuming both have network adapters),

I'd actually go for wired, have the ADSL modem/router *downstairs* and
then simply unplug the cable to upstairs when it's time for bed/sleep.
One way to guarantee no late night internet upstairs!

Cable is cheap and reliable, fast, and cannot be used by the neighbours
either! Network cards are cheap, too, if not already fitted... maybe
a fiver apiece. One cable would be needed anyway, to set up the router
even if the second connection was wireless. Of course, if the bedroom
PC was using wireless, it could be disabled on a time/day basis under
access rules if a combined ADSL modem/wireless router is used. Peter M.

Old February 3rd 06, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Des

"andy100" wrote in message
[...]

to make it simple buy two PCI wireless cards and use ICS (internet
connection sharing) thru the downstairs PC, also because it has to be on to
work you can control the usage!
I used this method for a while between a laptop and a PC, the PC had the
modem.

Keep it simple !!

Des

Old February 4th 06, 08:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Des wrote:
"andy100" wrote in message
[...]

Unfortunately ICS (before XP) was & still is very flakey as has been
proved on few of my early visits to small firms using such methods
with Windows 98 machines. The BIG disadvantage is that there is no
configuration/set up/diagnostics, it either works or doesn't, or even
stops working for no apparent reason & you have to uninstall &
reinstall to fix, which the OP may not want to do (remember this was
pre XP, don't know what it's like now as I'm a confirmed router user).
Used to use it here but gave up because of the last reason, much more
stable using a router..

Old February 4th 06, 08:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
andy100

Many thanks for all the very useful info there !. I am not very technical
when it comes to hardware and might find the wireless option a little
daunting. You may have seen my earlier post about random disconnections on
broadband and i think introducing more things on the line / changing the set
up, may give me more disconnections or make the random disconnections more
frequent. then i would be stuck with a router which would be useless to me
!!.

The original idea was just to physically take the kid's broadband modem
downstairs when we wanted to use broadband and plug it into our PC (phone
cabling etc is already there next to the downstairs PC anyway). And at least
that way would cost us nothing as we wouldn't be buying anything extra !.

Is the above feasible, i could just set up the downstairs PC with my
e-mail/password and Wanadoo (or anyone else for that matter), wouldn't even
know i was getting broadband on a different PC ?

Many thanks for the posts though, because it gives us many ideas which i
will look into in the future !

Kind Regards
Andrew