TESCO BLOCKING OTHER ISPS

Old February 3rd 06, 08:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bill

Default TESCO BLOCKING OTHER ISPS

This arrived today! It seems that Tesco/NTL is blocking the competition to
force others to change ISP or use web based email. Not just one or two
addresses but whole domains are actively being blocked. This is something
Tesco denied a few months ago until customers complained emails from friends
were not getting through. This also applies to BUSINESS users, not just
home users. So you could be running a company and having mail blocked.
Time to keep complaining to Tesco/NTL and *NOT* to other ISPs on their
behalf. Or change ISP and ditch Tesco/NTL as they seem to be good at
driving customers away.

Dear Customer ,

Unfortunately Tesco are blocking some emails from Wanadoo, FsNet, Yahoo
and Hotmail. These domains are blacklisted by the third party
mail filtering service that we use, as sources of SPAM. We are
unable to remove the blacklisting. It is the responsibility of
the blacklisted ISP to clean up its act and ensure that there
domain is not a haven for spammers. Once this has been done
they will be removed from the blacklist.

Many thanks Brian @ Tesco internet support

Old February 3rd 06, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick B.

bill wrote:
This arrived today! It seems that Tesco/NTL is blocking the competition to
force others to change ISP or use web based email. Not just one or two
addresses but whole domains are actively being blocked. This is something
Tesco denied a few months ago until customers complained emails from friends
were not getting through. This also applies to BUSINESS users, not just
home users. So you could be running a company and having mail blocked.
Time to keep complaining to Tesco/NTL and *NOT* to other ISPs on their
behalf. Or change ISP and ditch Tesco/NTL as they seem to be good at
driving customers away.

snip
I've seen this mentioned recently from numerous NTLworld users that
subscribe to Yahoo! Groups services.
Personally I chose long ago to avoid NTL's email service. Although I use
them for broadband connectivity, I use a third-party email service
(fastmail.fm).

--
Nick B.
Old February 3rd 06, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

This is complete ********.

Not just one or two
addresses but whole domains are actively being blocked.

This is correct, but not because of anticompetitive behaviour. Its
what all ISPs do when they recieve excessive spam from some other ISP.
Please try not to believe all the random FUD you hear in chat-rooms.

Personally I chose long ago to avoid NTL's email service. Although I use
them for broadband connectivity, I use a third-party email service
(fastmail.fm).

Yes, its a good plan. Mind you, my wife has no probs w/ ntl:s mail.
Mark McIntyre
Old February 3rd 06, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

bill wrote:
[...]

No problems here, I just logged onto pop3.tesco.net from a Brightview
account and was able to see all the spam which was the reason I stopped
using Tesco.
--
Adrian A

Old February 3rd 06, 11:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

Dear Customer ,

Unfortunately Tesco are blocking some emails from Wanadoo, FsNet,
Yahoo
and Hotmail. These domains are blacklisted by the third party
mail filtering service that we use, as sources of SPAM. We are
unable to remove the blacklisting. It is the responsibility of
the blacklisted ISP to clean up its act and ensure that there
domain is not a haven for spammers. Once this has been done
they will be removed from the blacklist.

Many thanks Brian @ Tesco internet support

I think its time they got real. I guess in the UK these account for a good %
of the e-mail sent. Of course there is going to be some spam.
And its a darn sight easier to get onto these black lists than it is to get
off...

Old February 4th 06, 02:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"bill" wrote in message
[...]

AFAIC Tesco anti spam works great, i get a fraction of the spam i got a few
months ago.
AFAIK No problems with real email getting to me from any of my friends.

My complaint is Tesco/NTL only offer 1 meg, leaving it to Virgin/NTL to
offer up to 2 Meg

Steve Terry

Old February 4th 06, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul F

Mark McIntyre wrote:
Not just one or two
addresses but whole domains are actively being blocked.

This is correct, but not because of anticompetitive behaviour. Its
what all ISPs do when they recieve excessive spam from some other ISP.
Please try not to believe all the random FUD you hear in chat-rooms.

Er - are you really happy with that? Doesn't it strike you as making email a
little impractical as a means of communication if your ISP decides they
won't deliver stuff to you because they don't like where it comes from?

It's like the Post Office refusing to deliver letters to you in London that
come from Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds and Scotland because some dodgy
letters have come from there in the past.

Tesco must love having customers like you! Bet you love that Lady Porter -
perhaps you reckon she rigged votes in Westminster in order to save
democracy?

PaulF

Old February 4th 06, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Raven

Paul F wrote:
Mark McIntyre wrote:
Not just one or two
addresses but whole domains are actively being blocked.

This is correct, but not because of anticompetitive behaviour. Its
what all ISPs do when they recieve excessive spam from some other ISP.
Please try not to believe all the random FUD you hear in chat-rooms.

Er - are you really happy with that? Doesn't it strike you as making email a
little impractical as a means of communication if your ISP decides they
won't deliver stuff to you because they don't like where it comes from?

Many ISPs use block lists from various providers - Spamhaus, SpamCop,
SPEWS etc to block sources of Spam. Tesco's is very far from unique in
this and the best way not to have your sent mail blocked is not to
subscribe to an ISP who supports or does not take action against
Spammers exploiting their network.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham
Old February 4th 06, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan

In message , Tony Raven
wrote

Many ISPs use block lists from various providers - Spamhaus, SpamCop,
SPEWS etc to block sources of Spam. Tesco's is very far from unique in
this and the best way not to have your sent mail blocked is not to
subscribe to an ISP who supports or does not take action against
Spammers exploiting their network.

Most IPS with a clue don't block email on mass from another ISPs
because of a few rouge emails from an IP address belonging to the other
ISP. If this was a common practice adopted by all ISPs email would now
be dead.

_ALL_ ISPs, or re-sellers (including Tesco), will always appear on
these blacklists at some time. From reading some correspondence in other
(private) newsgroups, it appears that many of the reputable ISPs, who
take action against their customers spamming, have reciprocal
arrangements with each other that prevents the blocking of email servers
when they occasionally appear on a blacklist.

Perhaps Tesco is not regarded are a reputable Internet supplier by the
industry and is not part of this 'club'?
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old February 4th 06, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Tony Raven wrote:

Many ISPs use block lists from various providers - Spamhaus, SpamCop,
SPEWS etc to block sources of Spam. Tesco's is very far from unique

Indeed, but some more clued-up ISPs only *mark* items which allows the
recipient to take action themself, if they wish, rather than have some
randomly blacklisted server/domain's mail being blocked by the receive
server (with rules possibly not disclosed to customers). Peter M.