meaning of all these abreviations?

Old February 5th 06, 09:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steve church

Default meaning of all these abreviations?

I'm just starting out down the network/wireless path and would like to know
if there is a web site which can tell me the meaning of all the abreviations
used whenever I read about the subject. Things like DHCP, WPA, WEP, SID, and
I'm sure a host of others I've not come across yet. It's all a bit
confusing!!

Steve

Old February 5th 06, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Charlie Drake

Steve Church wrote:
I'm just starting out down the network/wireless path and would like to know
if there is a web site which can tell me the meaning of all the abreviations
used whenever I read about the subject. Things like DHCP, WPA, WEP, SID, and

Hi Steve try he

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/b...blglossary.htm

Charlie
Old February 5th 06, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

Steve Church wrote:
I'm just starting out down the network/wireless path and would like
to know if there is a web site which can tell me the meaning of all
the abreviations used whenever I read about the subject. Things like
DHCP, WPA, WEP, SID, and I'm sure a host of others I've not come
across yet. It's all a bit confusing!!

Steve

Try here.
http://www.acronymfinder.com/
--
Adrian A

Old February 5th 06, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Adrian wrote:

Try here. http://www.acronymfinder.com/

Looks like every link is based on either Google adwords
or Amazon (for commission, perhaps).

http://en.wikipedia.org/ would be my choice! Peter M.

Old February 5th 06, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bill

"Steve Church" wrote in message
I'm just starting out down the network/wireless path and would like to
know if there is a web site which can tell me the meaning of all the
abreviations used whenever I read about the subject. Things like DHCP,
WPA, WEP, SID, and I'm sure a host of others I've not come across yet.
It's all a bit confusing!!

Steve

Google for it as there re many sites that will explain.

Old February 5th 06, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DB.

"Steve Church" wrote in message
I'm just starting out down the network/wireless path and would like to
know if there is a web site which can tell me the meaning of all the
abreviations used whenever I read about the subject. Things like DHCP,
WPA, WEP, SID, and I'm sure a host of others I've not come across yet.
It's all a bit confusing!!

Steve

Yes, the use of all these abbreviations is a PITA, innit!

--
DB.

Old February 5th 06, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Steve Church" wrote in message
I'm just starting out down the network/wireless path and would like to
know if there is a web site which can tell me the meaning of all the
abreviations used whenever I read about the subject. Things like DHCP,
WPA, WEP, SID, and I'm sure a host of others I've not come across yet.
It's all a bit confusing!!

Steve

Join COCOA the Campaign to Outlaw Contrived and Outrageous Acronyms...

Old February 5th 06, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 13:34:25 UTC, "DB."
wrote:

"Steve Church" wrote in message
I'm just starting out down the network/wireless path and would like to
know if there is a web site which can tell me the meaning of all the
abreviations used whenever I read about the subject. Things like DHCP,
WPA, WEP, SID, and I'm sure a host of others I've not come across yet.
It's all a bit confusing!!

Yes, the use of all these abbreviations is a PITA, innit!

But I think Steve is slightly missing the point. So, he finds out that
DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. Doesn't help much
unless he understands what it's for, and what it does. Better to avoid
decoding the acronyms and go for a networking primer.

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old February 5th 06, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"if" wrote in message
"Steve Church" wrote in
:

I'm just starting out down the network/wireless path and would like to
know if there is a web site which can tell me the meaning of all the
abreviations used whenever I read about the subject. Things like DHCP,
WPA, WEP, SID,

Sid is the guy British Gas were desperately trying to find when they were
being privatised. After the resounding success of that campaign he went on
to become Britain's first suicide bomber.

As in

Sid - n. proper; man's name, oven abbreviation for Sidney; hissing ~ - name
of snake used in British Gas privatisation campaign, also gas leak...

Old February 5th 06, 05:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steve church

Yes Bob, I think thats what I'll have to look out for. As long as it
expalins the abreviations as well!!