NetGear router

Old February 7th 06, 11:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default NetGear router

Hi,

I'm just about to make my first plunge into the wireless world!!

I'm a complete novice so I thought I'd post here to get some advice.
I've found the NETGEAR DG834G through the site below.

http://www.shiroi.co.uk/netgear-netg...scription.html

It appears to do everything I want, and probably a lot more, I'm going
to be using it with my Acer notebook which has integrated wireless so
that I can access my wanadoo broadband through out the house (new
build, with paper thin walls!). My questions a

1. Is it suitable for my needs
2. Is it easy to set-up/configure?
3. I'm paranoid about people connecting to my network, is the security
on this sufficient?
4. Is there anything else/alternartive I should consider?
5. Has anyone got experience of www.shiroi.co.uk?

Is the issue raised in this thread
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....fad7097e155f23
a big problem for me as a novice?

TIA
Noah

Old February 7th 06, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I've had mine for nearly 2 years. It's a little gem. Never have any problems
with it. Stays connected permanently. Had to upgrade the firmware when I
first got it because of a few issues but this is all done very easily. I use
it with 1 PC and a laptop around the house.

I've never had another router so I can't say whether there is a better one
but for a first time user this is a perfect model.

--
YOUR FORUMS, YOUR RULES!
Join the discussions @ MY3.co.uk

Old February 7th 06, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On 7 Feb 2006 03:01:17 -0800, wrote:

Hi,

I'm just about to make my first plunge into the wireless world!!

I'm a complete novice so I thought I'd post here to get some advice.
I've found the NETGEAR DG834G through the site below.

http://www.shiroi.co.uk/netgear-netg...scription.html

It appears to do everything I want, and probably a lot more, I'm going
to be using it with my Acer notebook which has integrated wireless so
that I can access my wanadoo broadband through out the house (new
build, with paper thin walls!). My questions a

1. Is it suitable for my needs

Yes. I use mine with two desktop machines connected via ethernet and
one Acer laptop connected using the built in wireless.

2. Is it easy to set-up/configure?

Very.

If you are *only* going to use the laptop, it is a good idea to first
set it up using ethernet, then get the wireless working.

3. I'm paranoid about people connecting to my network, is the security
on this sufficient?

If you have a reasonably recent version of the firmware, yes.

IIRC, out of the box, mine did not have WPA, but only WEP security,
until I upgraded the firmware to a more recent version. But that was a
few months ago. I may be misremembering.

4. Is there anything else/alternartive I should consider?

Quite a few, but the netgear seems one of the more robust at the
budget end of the market.

5. Has anyone got experience of www.shiroi.co.uk?

Probably, but not me :-)

I bought mine from Amazon.

Is the issue raised in this thread
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....fad7097e155f23
a big problem for me as a novice?

No.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
The penalty for bigamy is having two mothers-in-law.
Old February 7th 06, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CGA

wrote in message
[...]

As with the other posts, very easy to set up, good security & good value for
money. You could also look at it on www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk - that's where
i got mine (i think it's slightly cheaper than the site you suggested).

Old February 8th 06, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Noah

Thanks for all the great comments, my mind is definately put to rest
:-)

I order one almost as soon as I'd posted (did some more hunting and
found some good reviews), can;t wait for it to turn up.

Cheers

Noah