AOL BB via NTL cable... is it possible?

Old February 7th 06, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian R

Default AOL BB via NTL cable... is it possible?

Hi

A friend of mine has NTL cable TV, phone services and a cable modem. And
also an AOL account.

He has the impression that there is some incompatibilty with having AOL
Broadband via NTL cable.

I'd be grateful if anyone could let me know if there are any known isssues
having AOL BB via NTL cable

Thanks for your time.

Ian

Old February 7th 06, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Danny Boy

You would still need to pay NTL for the cable and supplying the broadband
signal, all that you would pay AOL for is to use all there services. It
used to be around £6.99 a month.

You cant use the AOL equipment as its ADSL and NTL use a cable network.

To be honest its a bit of a con and AOL sucks anyways so your prob better
just to use NTL

Hope this is of help

daniel

Old February 7th 06, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 14:02:07 -0000, "Danny Boy"
wrote:

You would still need to pay NTL for the cable and supplying the broadband
signal, all that you would pay AOL for is to use all there services. It
used to be around £6.99 a month.

You cant use the AOL equipment as its ADSL and NTL use a cable network.

This is wrong. You can get AOL broadband both via ADSL on a BT
phoneline, or via cable if you're on NTL.
Old February 7th 06, 03:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Molesworth

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 11:53:33 +0000 (UTC), Ian R wrote:

I'd be grateful if anyone could let me know if there are any known isssues
having AOL BB via NTL cable

Why on earth would anyone want to use AOL?

--
Nigel M
Old February 9th 06, 12:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"Nigel Molesworth" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 11:53:33 +0000 (UTC), Ian R wrote:

I'd be grateful if anyone could let me know if there are any known isssues
having AOL BB via NTL cable

Why on earth would anyone want to use AOL?
Nigel M

That's what I was thinking

Ntlworld gives you free news.ntli.net usenet access, (which works reliably
these days)

and as Virgin.net and Tesco.net are hosted on NTLs servers,
you get seamless SMTP sending of Virgin and Tesco email over NTL

Most of all since the begining of the year NTL have quietly dropped
their download limits, and also now offering up to 10meg speeds
(with external cable modem)

Steve Terry

Old February 9th 06, 12:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Steve Terry wrote:

and as Virgin.net and Tesco.net are hosted on NTLs servers,
you get seamless SMTP sending of Virgin and Tesco email over NTL

Depends on whether you have any need to use Virgin.net/Tesco.net
mail addresses... I don't have any regular contacts with those
mail addresses, nor NTL, for that matter. Many users nowadays
have their own domain, so a change of ISP is really invisible
to their friends and business contacts. Peter M.

Old March 1st 06, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Sumpter

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 16:02:25 +0000, Peter M wrote:

lid wrote:

On 7 Feb 2006 14:02, "Danny Boy" wrote:

You would still need to pay NTL for the cable and supplying the broadband
signal, all that you would pay AOL for is to use all there services. It
used to be around £6.99 a month.

You cant use the AOL equipment as its ADSL and NTL use a cable network.

This is wrong. You can get AOL broadband both via ADSL on a BT
phoneline, or via cable if you're on NTL.

I think 'Danny Boy' is well aware you can use AOL via an NTL cable, but
perhaps you mean there's something wrong with using AOL hardware on an
NTL connection... if it's an ADSL modem/router, then it clearly will
not work. So exactly *which* bit is wrong ? Seems to me you've not
made any 'correction' to what 'Danny Boy' wrote, just confirmed it!

Just to clarify:

You can have AOL delivered over NTL coaxial cables, and AOL supply the
cable modem. You only pay AOL for this connection, not NTL.

So, if you were to sign up for AOL and ask them to provide the connection
over NTL's cables, you can use the equipment that AOL provides for that
purpose.

You could continue to pay AOL for their services while only accessing them
over NTL broadband, but that would be more expensive.

This is all shown on the AOL website.

Steve.