line attenuation

Old February 7th 06, 12:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eddy

Default line attenuation

Mu line attenuation has jumped from 44db to 54db in the last week,
causing dropouts, my line has been 44db for the last 3 years, now If I
go to be as they must have done something, can they tell me I cant
sustain a one meg line and downgrade me, or do they have to fix the
problem that has not been there for 3 years?.

Thanks

Eddy
Old February 7th 06, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 12:04:24 +0000, Eddy
wrote:

Mu line attenuation has jumped from 44db to 54db in the last week,
causing dropouts, my line has been 44db for the last 3 years, now If I
go to be as they must have done something, can they tell me I cant
sustain a one meg line and downgrade me, or do they have to fix the
problem that has not been there for 3 years?.

They can tell you the line cannot sustain 1Mb and downgrade you.

There is no requirement for them to provide you with a line capable of
ADSL usage at all.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
My life may be strange, but at least it's not boring
Old February 7th 06, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

"Eddy" wrote
Mu line attenuation has jumped from 44db to 54db in the last week,
causing dropouts,

======================================

If the figures are stable, to cause a steady increase of 10 dB, one
of the wires in the pair has probably become disconnected or has
developed a high resistance somewhere along the route. It is possible
to locate the fault by testing at the exchange. Nearly always such a
fault is at a joint between two cable lengths, ie., at a manhole.
----
Reg.

Old February 7th 06, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Eddy wrote:
Mu line attenuation has jumped from 44db to 54db in the last week,
causing dropouts, my line has been 44db for the last 3 years, now If
go to be as they must have done something, can they tell me I cant
sustain a one meg line and downgrade me, or do they have to fix the
problem that has not been there for 3 years?.

Thanks

At 54dB you are still inside the 1Meg limits (max attenuation is 60dB
& 3db is a doubling or a halving approx), but a jump like that could
highlite some other problems causing your SNR to be below optimum,
check filters, phones etc etc...

If you are using the DSL link from an extension, your extension wiring
could be going faulty as it can & often does. Check from the test
socket in the backplate of your NTE5a. Here again you are not outside
the limits so look for a SNR problem first & foremost.

If you did succede in getting a Openreach visit they will not find you
out of limits with the attenuation you have found, here again it will
be a SNR problem & if they find it workable from your test socket, if
you want them to go further, it will cost you.

So summing it up, you have not got an attenuation problem, look for
something else which is introducing noise into the equation, you never
know it could even be a ropey piece of leadin or one leg HR at some
point in route between you & the exchange, or it could be an extension
going faulty, a phone, a terminal/crimp.

Until you can supply both Loop & SNR we are all going to be just
guessing..

Old February 7th 06, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 7-Feb-2006, Eddy wrote:

Mu line attenuation has jumped from 44db to 54db in the last week,
causing dropouts,

Of course, apart from the other explanations, as to the speeds
your line can now support, it may be that water has got into the
underground cable. Once put a Tektronix TDR on such a cable,
and it showed a nice hump over part of its path. But that is
what TDR's are for.