Linksys WAG354G

Old February 7th 06, 03:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
§meagol

Default Linksys WAG354G

Having acquired one of these wireless modem/routers recently I have to say I
am very pleased with it - especially the wireless
connection to my laptop - brilliant. All works well but I have one
question. When the computer(s) are idle, on standby or closed down (and
turned off) the
Internet light flashes every 5 - 8 seconds approx. This never used to show
up on the PCI adsl modem I previously used or the Speetouch USB one I keep
as a back-up. Nothing else is indicated. I
have no activity shown in the task bar or through ZoneAlarm (which is on
both
computers). Is this lamp activity normal and harmless or what is it? I
have taken all the reasonable security precautions as recommended - changing
all the passwords etc and setting access to the only other computer (laptop)
with encryption, firewall on etc. Any comments or advice will be much
appreciated. My ISP is Demon if that is significant. Windows XP Home with
all latest updates.

Many thanks.
--
Smeagol

Old February 7th 06, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim Howes

§meagol wrote:
When the computer(s) are idle, on standby or closed down (and
turned off) the
Internet light flashes every 5 - 8 seconds approx.

Normal background activity. Probably malicious in origin. Automated probes,
virus/worm activity, script kiddies looking for open mail relays/nntp hosts,
etc. The usual.

no activity shown in the task bar or through ZoneAlarm

ZoneAlarm will probably only now show you activity related to outgoing connections.

Assuming a typical home ADSL Modem/Router product, it is implementing NAT
(Network Address Translation). This means that all of your machines appear to
live behind a single externally visible IP address on the internet.

The side-effect of this, is that to do it properly, the router has to 'keep
state' so it can pass the replies to outgoing packets from a machine on your
local network back to the machine that generated them. This means that any
packets that turn up unannounced, such as typical probes for open servers, worm
propogation attempts, etc. get dropped on the floor by the router, because it
does not know how to deal with them.

This is overall good for your security, and almost makes ZoneAlarm redundant, if
it weren't for the amount of malware that you invite in every day by using
internet explorer and outlook express, which despite thousands of patches, still
seem to allow sites to install executables on your machine that run in the local
system context. The NAT router cannot protect you against this, because you
invite them in, via HTTP GET requests, courtesy of website owners and
advertisers with less than ideal regard for your privacy, security, or well being.

Think of NAT as an office telephonist, who receives all of the incoming calls,
and passes only those of interest on to the extension concerned. Anyone can
pick up a phone and dial '9' to 'get an outside line' (the network equivalent
being to send a packet to the default gateway). Annoying salespeople call, and
the office receptionist just drops it.
(Hopefully that analogy helps in some way)

Jim

Old February 7th 06, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 16:47:34 +0000, in uk.telecom.broadband , Jim
Howes wrote:

§meagol wrote:
When the computer(s) are idle, on standby or closed down (and
turned off) the
Internet light flashes every 5 - 8 seconds approx.

Normal background activity. Probably malicious in origin. Automated probes,
virus/worm activity, script kiddies looking for open mail relays/nntp hosts,
etc. The usual.

Also ARP packets, general broadcast traffic, etc of a nonmalicious
sort.

no activity shown in the task bar or through ZoneAlarm

ZoneAlarm will probably only now show you activity related to outgoing connections.

It shows both, but this traffic won't be getting to your PC as its not
destined for your IP address so your router will discard it.

Mark McIntyre