No BT BB because of fiber?

Old February 7th 06, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

Default No BT BB because of fiber?

Hi All,

I was talking to a chap earlier who suggested he couldn't have ADSL
from BT (who provide his telephone service) "because he is connected
over fibre"? (in spite of this some of the online bb service checkers
say he can have BB)?

He is currently using Tesco dial-up (FWIW).

Any thoughts please (and there isn't a cable supplier in his area).

All the best ..

T i m

Old February 7th 06, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

T i m wrote:

I was talking to a chap earlier who suggested he couldn't have ADSL
from BT (who provide his telephone service) "because he is connected
over fibre"? (in spite of this some of the online bb service checkers
say he can have BB)?

The name for it is TPON, if that gets you anywhere. It probably won't be the
circuit to his premises that is TPON, it'll be the link from his local
"exchange" [not really an exchange, just a geet big switch] to the exchange
that serves him. Supposedly, the amount of bandwidth available over the
fibre link per circuit is just 64k, obviously nowhere near enough for
broadband, hence the lack of a connection.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
18:50:59 up 12 days, 23:08, 2 users, load average: 0.16, 0.45, 0.45

Old February 7th 06, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

HVB wrote:
On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 15:07:11 +0000, T i m wrote:

I was talking to a chap earlier who suggested he couldn't have ADSL
from BT (who provide his telephone service) "because he is
connected
over fibre"? (in spite of this some of the online bb service
checkers
say he can have BB)?

IIRC, BT installed fibre optic lines to some - usually remote -
places
to overcome distance/noise limitations of copper cabling. You'd
have
thought that this would be "the way of the future".

Unfortunately for the chap to whom you refer, ADSL requires standard
copper cabling, so if he really has a fibre line, he's scuppered.

Not so remote, it was trialed in various areas across the country, but
BT have started to supply copper pairs to the local cabs as well as
the fibre link, In most cases the copper is there it's just been ring
fenced for services which couldn't be carried by the fibre & then DSL
came along which wasn't included in such services.

Old February 8th 06, 01:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Kraftee wrote:
HVB wrote:
[...]

Indeed, the estate i live on, built only within the last few years has fibre
primarily. When my property was near complete, having done a bit of
research, I found that as you say, copper was laid as well, mainly for
services like burglar alarms etc, I badgered BT several times and I was
succesful in getting a copper wire onto my line.

Broadband blokey came to check the line would work with broadband, he said
the numbers where very high, but it should work, technically it was outside
the spec for broadband, and if it had any problems, bt would just stop the
service...

Well, here I am two years later, now on 1mb download.........

Gaz

Old February 8th 06, 06:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Gaz wrote:
Kraftee wrote:
HVB wrote:
[...]

The limits have dropped over the last couple of years, when DSL was
first released they were a little on the conservative side but have
been grdaully relaxed over the years..

Old February 8th 06, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 18:56:46 GMT, alexd wrote:

T i m wrote:

I was talking to a chap earlier who suggested he couldn't have ADSL
from BT (who provide his telephone service) "because he is connected
over fibre"? (in spite of this some of the online bb service checkers
say he can have BB)?

The name for it is TPON, if that gets you anywhere. It probably won't be the
circuit to his premises that is TPON, it'll be the link from his local
"exchange" [not really an exchange, just a geet big switch] to the exchange
that serves him. Supposedly, the amount of bandwidth available over the
fibre link per circuit is just 64k, obviously nowhere near enough for
broadband, hence the lack of a connection.

Thanks for all the replies guys .. I have forwarded them to the poor
bb'less guy ;-(

All the best ..

T i m