update to random disconnections on broadband

Old February 7th 06, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
andy100

Default update to random disconnections on broadband

You might remember a few days ago i wrote to this newsgroup as i was getting
disconnected from 1 meg Wanadoo broadband every 10 minutes. Well, after line
test after line test (that's all Wanadoo seem to do, keep telling me they
need to do a new line test, just stalling for time if you ask me !). Anyway,
i decided to bite the bullet and check to see if it was my own cabling (main
socket to bedroom). Well i went and bought 10 metres of standard telephone
cable (ADSL) and plugged it in. No disconnections any more !!!! - it was the
cabling !

Just thought i'd let others know incase anyone out there is having broadband
"drop-outs", it might be worthwhile getting some new cable to test with !

Cheers
Andrew

Old February 7th 06, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

andy100 wrote:
You might remember a few days ago i wrote to this newsgroup as i was
getting disconnected from 1 meg Wanadoo broadband every 10 minutes.
Well, after line test after line test (that's all Wanadoo seem to
do,
keep telling me they need to do a new line test, just stalling for
time if you ask me !). Anyway, i decided to bite the bullet and
check
to see if it was my own cabling (main socket to bedroom). Well i
went
and bought 10 metres of standard telephone cable (ADSL) and plugged
it in. No disconnections any more !!!! - it was the cabling !

Just thought i'd let others know incase anyone out there is having
broadband "drop-outs", it might be worthwhile getting some new cable
to test with !

Been saying that for years, but does anybody listen Naaaaa..

(walks away into the sunset shaking his head, till the next time)

Old February 8th 06, 01:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

andy100 wrote:
You might remember a few days ago i wrote to this newsgroup as i was
getting
disconnected from 1 meg Wanadoo broadband every 10 minutes. Well, after
line
test after line test (that's all Wanadoo seem to do, keep telling me they
need to do a new line test, just stalling for time if you ask me !).
Anyway,
i decided to bite the bullet and check to see if it was my own cabling
(main
socket to bedroom). Well i went and bought 10 metres of standard telephone
cable (ADSL) and plugged it in. No disconnections any more !!!! - it was
the
cabling !

Which is why the customer service monkeys, as part of their script always
ask if you are directly connected to the master socket. A very very common
fault, and one of the things they try to rule out asap.

Gaz

Old February 8th 06, 06:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
andy100

It's often very difficult to physically move the PC to a main line though
!!!! - you should know that !!!!. A PC connected to printer, scanner, moving
a 19" CRT monitor !!

Andy

Old February 8th 06, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 05:48:50 -0000, "andy100" wrote:

It's often very difficult to physically move the PC to a main line though
!!!! - you should know that !!!!. A PC connected to printer, scanner, moving
a 19" CRT monitor !!

The thing is though, that cabling inside your house is, apparently,
the source of many common problems that people often have with
broadband, and the isp's know this! They also know how much of a pita
it can be to unplug everything and connect your PC straight to the
master socket, and that people often lie and tell you they have
already done this.

Also if the isp sends a BT engineer out, and it's a problem your side
the master socket, then BT will then bill somebody about 50. My
feeling, is that BT would bill the isp rather than the end customer,
and this seemed to be confirmed by my fathers isp when I was sorting
out some problems with his connection.

Apparently, the line test showed no fault, but the modem wouldn't sync
at all. The isp kept stressing to me that I would be charged if it was
a problem my side of the master socket, and even though I insisted
that yes I was aware of that, there were no extensions hard wired into
the master socket, and only the usb modem plugged in, they still
insisted I go through the whole rigmarole of reinstalling the usb
drivers etc. They seemed very reluctant to send out a BT engineer,
although he fixed it when he did come out!
Old February 8th 06, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

lid wrote:
On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 05:48:50 -0000, "andy100" wrote:

It's often very difficult to physically move the PC to a main line
though !!!! - you should know that !!!!. A PC connected to printer,
scanner, moving a 19" CRT monitor !!

The thing is though, that cabling inside your house is, apparently,
the source of many common problems that people often have with
broadband, and the isp's know this! They also know how much of a
pita
it can be to unplug everything and connect your PC straight to the
master socket, and that people often lie and tell you they have
already done this.

Correct so far....

Also if the isp sends a BT engineer out, and it's a problem your
side
the master socket, then BT will then bill somebody about 50. My
feeling, is that BT would bill the isp rather than the end customer,
and this seemed to be confirmed by my fathers isp when I was sorting
out some problems with his connection.

Incorrect about this part, to get a Openreach engineer on site, the
ISP's have to pay a visit charge. If the fault is proved onto the
customers wiring there may be a suplimentary charge (45 for the first
45minutes & 15 for every part or full 15 minutes afterwards) but only
if the enduser request the engineer to sort the problem out.

Apparently, the line test showed no fault, but the modem wouldn't
sync
at all. The isp kept stressing to me that I would be charged if it
was
a problem my side of the master socket, and even though I insisted
that yes I was aware of that, there were no extensions hard wired
into
the master socket, and only the usb modem plugged in, they still
insisted I go through the whole rigmarole of reinstalling the usb
drivers etc. They seemed very reluctant to send out a BT engineer,
although he fixed it when he did come out!

They were reluctant as they have to pay to get the engineer to you,
it's a simple matter of economics...

Old February 8th 06, 04:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

andy100 wrote:
It's often very difficult to physically move the PC to a main line though
!!!! - you should know that !!!!. A PC connected to printer, scanner,
moving
a 19" CRT monitor !!

Andy

Thats why I check first, and then lie to the customer service when
needed.......

Gaz

Old February 10th 06, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Ian Stirling wrote:

wrote:

It's often very difficult to physically move the PC to a main
line
though !!!! - you should know that !!!!. A PC connected to
printer,
scanner, moving a 19" CRT monitor !!

The thing is though, that cabling inside your house is,
apparently,
the source of many common problems that people often have with
broadband, and the isp's know this! They also know how much of a

snip
Incorrect about this part, to get a Openreach engineer on site, the
ISP's have to pay a visit charge. If the fault is proved onto the
customers wiring there may be a suplimentary charge (?45 for the
first 45minutes & ?15 for every part or full 15 minutes afterwards)
but only if the enduser request the engineer to sort the problem
out.

This isn't refunded even on non LLU lines, where the fault is on the
BT side of the master socket?

If there is a fault on BT's network then you wouldn't normally get a
DSL engineer to site as BT would raise a normal fault on it. Having
said that there are still times when it is a line fault despite it
testing ok & on these occaisions I must admit I don't know whether the
charges still stand after the DSL engineer locates & rectifies it.
You've got to remember I'm just a very small cock in a very large
beaurocratic machine what I do know is that the DSL engineer can now
start raising extra charges ( under the infamous heading DSL Health
Check) if they send us out on a waste of time (for the engineering
side) fault, such as packet loss problems inside the ISP's own network
(proved that one 4 times, on 4 different visits & only found out i
could place the charges on the ISP on the last visit & guess what I've
never been back since)...

Old February 10th 06, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Kraftee wrote:

Ian Stirling wrote:

wrote:

[...]