problems with web using 3Com

Old February 7th 06, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steve church

Default problems with web using 3Com

Hi,

I've just got a 3Com ADSL wireless router/modem (WDR100A)working with my two
PCs. Both wired via the ethernet ports (I'm leaving the wireless bit for
when my daughter comes home with her laptop). It all seemed to configure
very easily, especially the second PC I put on. Email working and web access
fine. However tonight my main PC will not access the internet. It gets email
fine and the PC upstairs gets the web ok. The LAN light on the modem does
not flicker when I try to get on the web so it must be something to do with
my internet settings. But I haven't changed any and they appear to be the
same as the one on the PC upstairs which works. PC downstairs on XP Home the
one upstairs XP Pro. Any ideas where to look. I'm computer literate but
networking ignorant.

Steve

Old February 7th 06, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steve church

Ok, I've just power cycled my PC and things are working again.
Am I going to have to expect these things now. My Wanadoo supplied USB
'frog' has performed faultlessly for the last year.

Old February 7th 06, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Steve Church wrote:
Ok, I've just power cycled my PC and things are working again.
Am I going to have to expect these things now. My Wanadoo supplied
USB
'frog' has performed faultlessly for the last year.

Be aware of the flakey power supply problems 3Com were having last
year. They even sent me a spare without me saying a word, go figure,
as far as I know the other is still ok anyway...

Old February 7th 06, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills \(aka Tiscali Tim\)

Steve Church wrote:

Hi,

I've just got a 3Com ADSL wireless router/modem (WDR100A)working with
my two PCs. Both wired via the ethernet ports (I'm leaving the
wireless bit for when my daughter comes home with her laptop). It all
seemed to configure very easily, especially the second PC I put on.
Email working and web access fine. However tonight my main PC will
not access the internet. It gets email fine and the PC upstairs gets
the web ok. The LAN light on the modem does not flicker when I try to
get on the web so it must be something to do with my internet
settings. But I haven't changed any and they appear to be the same as
the one on the PC upstairs which works. PC downstairs on XP Home the
one upstairs XP Pro. Any ideas where to look. I'm computer literate
but networking ignorant.
Steve

Is the problematic PC the one which used to connect via the frog? If so,
make sure that your browser and email client are both set up to connect to
the internet via the LAN - and to "never dial a connection". There could be
an old DUN (dial-up connection) lurking somewhere and confusing things.

In addition, I'm a great believer in disabling DHCP in the router and giving
each PC a fixed IP address in the TCP/IP properties settings. Also, give
each PC explicit DNS server addresses (as supplied by your ISP) rather than
relying on picking them up from the router.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old February 7th 06, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nigel Molesworth

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 21:39:47 -0000, Steve Church wrote:

However tonight my main PC will not access the internet. It gets email fine

Does not compute. If it gets email, it is accessing the Internet.

--
Nigel M
Old February 8th 06, 12:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Steve Church wrote:
Ok, I've just power cycled my PC and things are working again.
Am I going to have to expect these things now. My Wanadoo supplied USB
'frog' has performed faultlessly for the last year.

Update the firmware for the router. I have found this router to be the most
stable of all the many i have dealt with, with the updated firmware.

Gaz

Old February 8th 06, 12:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

Steve Church wrote:
[...]

Might be worth checking for proxy servers, freeserve at one point used a
proxy server, the settings where installed as part of the installation
routine.

Open internet explorer, tools internet options, connections lan settings,
make sure that nothing is ticked.

Gaz

Steve

Old February 8th 06, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills \(aka Tiscali Tim\)

Nigel Molesworth wrote:

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 21:39:47 -0000, Steve Church wrote:

However tonight my main PC will not access the internet. It gets
email fine

Does not compute. If it gets email, it is accessing the Internet.

True - but it's still possible for his email client to work but his browser
not to work because - for example - the browser is trying to connect using a
defunct DUN rather than the LAN.
--
Cheers,
Roger