Cable modem to wireless router woes...

Old February 7th 06, 11:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian R

Default Cable modem to wireless router woes...

Hi

I believe that some friends of mine have been given some misinformation and
I'd just like to check this out...

Firstly here's what they have...

NTL cable providing phone + TV services with AOL broadband connected via
NTL.

They have a silver coloured cable modem (model 200) provided by AOL which
connects via Ethernet to the PC.

AOL tell them its not possible to connect the cable modem to a (any??)
wireless router. Is this correct?

PC world sold them a Linksys WRT54GS but no matter what we've tried we cant
get this to "see" the cable modem connection.

Do they need a different type of wireless router which can accept a cable
modem? Such as Linksys WCG200 Wireless-G Cable Gateway?

AOL and NTL support are worse than useless!!! As soon as you mention the
equipment they just say no we don't support that and cant advise you. So how
the hell are we supposed to know how to connect it all together??

I cant believe its not possible to have wireless access when using AOL
broadband via Cable. But this is what the guy on AOL support told me!!
Hellooo it is the 21st century.

Hope one of you gurus here can tell me if there's a way to do it.

Thanks for your time.

Ian

Old February 8th 06, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Ian R wrote:
Hi

I believe that some friends of mine have been given some
misinformation and I'd just like to check this out...

Firstly here's what they have...

NTL cable providing phone + TV services with AOL broadband connected
via NTL.

They have a silver coloured cable modem (model 200) provided by AOL
which connects via Ethernet to the PC.

AOL tell them its not possible to connect the cable modem to a
(any??)
wireless router. Is this correct?

PC world sold them a Linksys WRT54GS but no matter what we've tried
we cant get this to "see" the cable modem connection.

You attatch the CM to the router via an ethernet cable & connect it to
the WAN port, it couldn't be simpler...

Old February 8th 06, 08:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Charlie Drake

Ian R wrote:
[...]

Just looking at the ntlhell and it seems the consensus for starting up a
wireless set up is:

Turn everything off

Turn on the Router let it boot and it is then waiting for connections
Turn on the Modem it boots. The router picks it up and the modem assigns
a WAN address to the router.
Turn on the PC/Lappy The PC/Lappy boots, the router sees it, assigns an
IP address, and Bob's your sister.

Might be worth looking here also:

http://forums.ntlhell.co.uk/lofivers...hp/t21873.html

Charlie
Old February 8th 06, 09:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

"Ian R" wrote in message
Hi

I believe that some friends of mine have been given some misinformation
and I'd just like to check this out...

friends don't allow friends to sign up with AOL

AOL and NTL support are worse than useless!!! As soon as you mention the
equipment they just say no we don't support that and cant advise you. So
how the hell are we supposed to know how to connect it all together??

see above

/AOL bashing

doesn't AOL over NTL need to go via AOL's network to the internet ?
or is it direct ?
this may be why you can't use wireless (standard hardware)

Old February 8th 06, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian R

"Charlie Drake" wrote in message

Just looking at the ntlhell and it seems the consensus for starting up a
wireless set up is:

Turn everything off

Turn on the Router let it boot and it is then waiting for connections
Turn on the Modem it boots. The router picks it up and the modem assigns
a WAN address to the router.
Turn on the PC/Lappy The PC/Lappy boots, the router sees it, assigns an
IP address, and Bob's your sister.

Might be worth looking here also:

http://forums.ntlhell.co.uk/lofivers...hp/t21873.html

Thanks Charlie

Yes thats exactly how I would expect it to behave. But it doesnt.

Thats why I think the Linksys WRT54GS is the wrong device. It just doesnt
see the cable modem.

Another thing is the way the AOL software has to be able to detect the modem
in order to connect - so with the modem connected to the WRT54GS - AOL 9.0
cant see it either.

When my friend went to PC World he told them it was for cable but they sold
him a Linksys WRT54GS.

So I would hope that a wireless router designed for cable (such as the
Linksys WCG200) would behave as you have described above.

Cheers

Ian

Old February 8th 06, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian R

"Geoff" wrote in message

BIG SNIP...

friends don't allow friends to sign up with AOL

Ha! I couldnt agree more. The thing is they signed up to AOL several years
ago before I knew them. And just like some people are reluctant to change
bank accounts so they are reluctant to change to another ISP and lose their
AOL email addresses. I know they can pay a minimal fee to keep them alive.

doesn't AOL over NTL need to go via AOL's network to the internet ?
or is it direct ?
this may be why you can't use wireless (standard hardware)

IIRC NTL provide the BB signal which AOL uses to reach the AOL network.

Old February 8th 06, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Charlie Drake

Ian R wrote:
[...]

From the manual:

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

19. I cannot connect to the Internet.

For Cable users - Click on the Status tab and make sure you have the
Internet IP address is not 0.0.0.0. If
it is, click the DHCP Renew button, and wait a few minutes for the
router to try and contact your service
provider. After the router successfully obtains an IP address, restart
your computer.

Charlie
Old February 8th 06, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

"Ian R" wrote in message

"Charlie Drake" wrote in message

snip
When my friend went to PC World he told them it was for cable but they
sold him a Linksys WRT54GS.

So I would hope that a wireless router designed for cable (such as the
Linksys WCG200) would behave as you have described above.

I bought a Linksys WRT54GS from PCworld, and use it on NTL cable fine.

Steve Terry