Local or ISP problem?

Old February 8th 06, 12:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mark

Default Local or ISP problem?

In the last few days when I try to visit any website, randomly it just seems
to not even try to find it. Like my browser will pull up the page not found
display instantly. If it click "go" a few times it will eventually load the
page like normal. This is happening in all my browsers not just one.

Is this more likely to be a problem with my ISP rather than my router/modem?

Old February 10th 06, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SecretSquiddle

"mark" wrote in message
In the last few days when I try to visit any website, randomly it just
seems to not even try to find it. Like my browser will pull up the page
not found display instantly. If it click "go" a few times it will
eventually load the page like normal. This is happening in all my browsers
not just one.

Is this more likely to be a problem with my ISP rather than my
router/modem?

Could be either, or it could even be problems with the websites themselves.
It's hard to say with the information you've given here.

**SS**

Old February 10th 06, 06:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 10-Feb-2006, "SecretSquiddle" wrote:

If it click "go" a few times it will
eventually load the page like normal. This is happening in all my browsers
not just one.

A slow underpowered PC that doesn't repond fast enough to
traffic (think PII 120, 64 or 128k RAM, trying to run WinXP pro
corp with SP2, and for good luck a whole cluster of apps running
at once), or maybe something like a high error rate wireless link.
If you have a modem, does it still occur with dialup?
Sure you haven't got a virus or trojan.
Ethereal, though it has a steep learning curve, can log pkts
in and out, showing what you sent and what comes back.
Try pinging some sites with
Start, Run, pathping www.xyz.com then Enter
as with
pathping www.google.com then Enter.
Try connecting to the IP dotted quad address.
Report results here.