Plusnet stopping accepting 'Switch' cards?

Old February 7th 06, 11:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Plusnet stopping accepting 'Switch' cards?

This afternoon, I suddenly got 'no service' from Plusnet because they
said they had been unable to process my Switch bank card!!
I could only get to their own pages.
I changed to using a Visa card(done online through their web page and
extremely efficient) and access was restored immediately.
I also entered a second 'standby' card (also easy and efficient).

In the process I noticed that only Mastercard, AMex and Visa choices
appeared in the dropdown 'choice' box and that a note says that Plusnet
no longer accept 'Switch' cards.

Direct Debit is however also an option.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I guess it is a security matter or that banks are making it difficult to
use their cards on-line.

I must make it clear that I have no complaint with Plusnet service
generally but am surprised they didn't e-mail those using bank cards
BEFORE removing service.

Plusnet can you offer a comment?

Mike

Old February 8th 06, 07:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Road_Hog®

"m" wrote in message
I changed to using a Visa card(done online through their web page and
extremely efficient) and access was restored immediately.
I also entered a second 'standby' card (also easy and efficient).

The only problem with that, is that you have given them continuous authority
to debit your card. Only they can cancel it, so if you have a problem you
can't stop payment. Direct Debit is much better as you control that and can
cancel it at anytime.

Old February 8th 06, 08:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

[...]

Why not ask them first? You can phone or raise a ticket.

Peter Crosland

Old February 8th 06, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Umm - I see what u mean but I am also sure I have recently heard a
problem with DD that only the recipient, and not the account holder,
can cancel it.

I belive this has been noted in the press recently when false DDs have
been set up (aparantly it is easy to do now with things on-line and not
requiring actual paper and signatures)and banks expect the account
holder to contact the payee to arrange cessation.

I may be wrong!

I certainly would be careful about using a credit card with anyone less
responsible (sic) than Plusnet but we are often forced into it by the
likes of Sky and Insurance companies etc.

mike

Old February 8th 06, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stan Jones

"Road_Hog®" wrote in message

"m" wrote in message
I changed to using a Visa card(done online through their web page and
extremely efficient) and access was restored immediately.
I also entered a second 'standby' card (also easy and efficient).

The only problem with that, is that you have given them continuous

authority
to debit your card. Only they can cancel it, so if you have a problem you
can't stop payment. Direct Debit is much better as you control that and

can
cancel it at anytime.

Not really.. If you get any problems, just cut your card in half and ring
the bank, telling them you have lost the card.

No more access to that card is there?

Stan

Old February 8th 06, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

http://www.bacs.co.uk/BPSL/directdeb...ic/yourrights/
--
Adrian A

Old February 8th 06, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Umm - I see what u mean but I am also sure I have recently heard a
problem with DD that only the recipient, and not the account holder,
can cancel it.

I belive this has been noted in the press recently when false DDs have
been set up (aparantly it is easy to do now with things on-line and
not requiring actual paper and signatures)and banks expect the account
holder to contact the payee to arrange cessation.

I may be wrong!

I certainly would be careful about using a credit card with anyone
less responsible (sic) than Plusnet but we are often forced into it
by the
likes of Sky and Insurance companies etc.

mike

http://www.bacs.co.uk/BPSL/directdeb...ic/yourrights/

A switch card is not the same as a DD.

Peter Crosland

Old February 8th 06, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Stan Jones wrote:
"Road_Hog®" wrote in message

"m" wrote in message
I changed to using a Visa card(done online through their web page
and extremely efficient) and access was restored immediately.
I also entered a second 'standby' card (also easy and efficient).

The only problem with that, is that you have given them continuous
authority to debit your card. Only they can cancel it, so if you
have a problem you can't stop payment. Direct Debit is much better
as you control that and can cancel it at anytime.

Not really.. If you get any problems, just cut your card in half
and
ring the bank, telling them you have lost the card.

No more access to that card is there?

But the authorized debit will be carried over to your new card...

Old February 8th 06, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 10:58:52 +0000, m wrote:

Umm - I see what u mean but I am also sure I have recently heard a
problem with DD that only the recipient, and not the account holder,
can cancel it.

I belive this has been noted in the press recently when false DDs have
been set up (aparantly it is easy to do now with things on-line and not
requiring actual paper and signatures)and banks expect the account
holder to contact the payee to arrange cessation.

I may be wrong!

You are.

That is why many ISPs until recently insisted on card payments, rather
than DD.

Any type of continuous authority card payment works as you suggest DD
works.

DD doesn't.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Thesaurus: ancient reptile with an excellent vocabulary.
Old February 8th 06, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

m wrote on Tue, 07 Feb 2006 23:49:35 +0000:

This afternoon, I suddenly got 'no service' from Plusnet because they said
they had been unable to process my Switch bank card!!
I could only get to their own pages.
I changed to using a Visa card(done online through their web page and
extremely efficient) and access was restored immediately.
I also entered a second 'standby' card (also easy and efficient).

In the process I noticed that only Mastercard, AMex and Visa choices
appeared in the dropdown 'choice' box and that a note says that Plusnet no
longer accept 'Switch' cards.

Ask Plusnet, but I'd take a guess at Switch cards all now being Maestro, and
having to move to 3DSecure for online charging in the near future - in many
cases will involve a substantial setup fee for merchants to deal with (with
our current PSP we're looking at a £3000 setup charge plus major development
changes to our e-commerce application to deal with it), and possibly prevent
(or at least make it harder to handle) continuous authority (as the merchant
never sees the card details, just a confirmation from the bank that the
money has been debited).

Dan