Blueyonder send letters to high bandwidth user

Old February 8th 06, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gzl

Default Blueyonder send letters to high bandwidth user

Thread in adslguide is interesting.
Users are receivin letters about high network traffic.

"In order for us to ensure the continued security and quality of our
network,
please be advised that we will continue to closely monitor your Internet
traffic levels for 30 days from the date of this letter to confirm that
corrective actions have been taken by you and that a reduction in the
abnormal levels of Internet traffic from your connection is visible.

If no significant reduction in levels of Internet traffic from your
connection is seen within this period, we shall write to you agian to
advise
you of the potential next steps which may be necessary to rectify this
situation."

I agree with this part...

"I believe it is an attempt to get him to lower his use of bandwidth
with the threat of suspension or terminating his account, as they
normally phone the customer when they suspect that he or she has an open
relay or something, and surely they should be able to tell what internet
traffic and what ports are using the high traffic. in his case it is
constantly downloading for 12 hrs a day from usenet."

Scare the bandwidth hogger into changin his habit? )

Old February 9th 06, 09:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl Waring

Gzl wrote:
[...]

I note with interest that you left out the bit about it being a problem with
data coming FROM these users and not TO them. ie they may have a
virus/trojan or be allowing too much uploading using p2p from their system.

Nice spin, but gives totally wrong impression but we've come to expect that
from you.

Incidently, now that you're back with BY why do you post using a new
psuedonym and not your old one? ;-)

--
Carl Waring
http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=1495

Old February 9th 06, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gzl

"Carl Waring" wrote in message
k...
Gzl wrote:
[...]

I copied and pasted from the page.
"high amount of Internet traffic being generated from your Broadband
connsection."
'from' is just a phrase used, in this sense it is the same as sayin it
is your IP, your account we are talkin about.
Tell me this... say it was a letter about his constant downloadin they
were complainin about, and not as you'll have us believe, his constant
'uploadin'
How wud the letter read then?
In relation to the use of the word 'from'?

Another factor we can disregard is the fact that he's constantly
downloading from Giganews for about 12 hrs per day on a 4MB connection.
That's about 200 Gigs a day.
Telewest isn't complainin about that, they're complainin about him
uploadin at around 30 kb/s.
Which one seems to be the one that raises more cause for concern?
I remember bein on 512k, and there was always talk from Fergal about
excessive use of usenet havin a detrimental effect to their network and
to other users.

If they suspect him of havin a virus/trojan, then phone him up.
Not send him a letter... a phonecall is much quicker.

"If no significant reduction in levels of Internet traffic from your
connection is seen within this period, we shall write to you agian to
advise
you of the potential next steps which may be necessary to rectify this
situation."

A user might have an open realy/virus/trojan that's active on their
network, and they give him 30 days, with no help or clue as to what the
problem may be.
Can't they see what kind of traffic it is that's bein generated?

Incidently, now that you're back with BY why do you post using a new
psuedonym and not your old one? ;-)

I'm not back with BY, he's not me.

Old February 9th 06, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Silk

Gzl wrote:

I'm not back with BY, he's not me.

I was getting worried there. Would you go back, if asked?

I wouldn't go back under any circumstances. In fact, I'd like to make
sure I get banned for life, and my street, and the whole town as well
while we're at it.

Blueyonder are total scum - will that do? I got banned for a lot less.
Old February 9th 06, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gzl

"Silk" wrote in message
Gzl wrote:

I'm not back with BY, he's not me.

I was getting worried there. Would you go back, if asked?

I wouldn't go back under any circumstances. In fact, I'd like to make
sure I get banned for life, and my street, and the whole town as well
while we're at it.

LOL
I honestly wouldn't go back to em.
Especially not now after the speed upgrades farce.
3 or so months on, and they've really detoriated as an ISP with the 10Mb
thing.
Readin the forums, the advice given is not to bother with em and to get
ADSL.
Comments like... depends where you live, and you only get anywhere near
the 10Mb after midnight.

This year is when they go down I think.

Blueyonder are total scum - will that do? I got banned for a lot less.

Yes, perfect...

Old February 9th 06, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 10:03:32 UTC, "Gzlπ" T o p @ S e c r e t . c o m
wrote:

Telewest isn't complainin about that, they're complainin about him
uploadin at around 30 kb/s.
Which one seems to be the one that raises more cause for concern?
I remember bein on 512k, and there was always talk from Fergal about
excessive use of usenet havin a detrimental effect to their network and
to other users.

Can you please get the intermittently faulty 'g' key fixed on your
keyboard? It only worked once in the above, and failed at least five
times.

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old February 10th 06, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gøñzølã

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 10:03:32 UTC, "Gzlπ" T o p @ S e c r e t . c o

Telewest isn't complainin about that, they're complainin about him
uploadin at around 30 kb/s.
Which one seems to be the one that raises more cause for concern?
I remember bein on 512k, and there was always talk from Fergal about
excessive use of usenet havin a detrimental effect to their network
and
to other users.

Can you please get the intermittently faulty 'g' key fixed on your
keyboard? It only worked once in the above, and failed at least five
times.

I'll have a look at it later this mornin, before I go shoppin.

Old February 10th 06, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Yddap

In ,
Gzl T o p @ S e c r e t . c o m opined very noisily:
wrote:

Telewest isn't complainin about that, they're complainin about him
uploadin at around 30 kb/s.
Which one seems to be the one that raises more cause for concern?
I remember bein on 512k, and there was always talk from Fergal about
excessive use of usenet havin a detrimental effect to their network
and
to other users.

Can you please get the intermittently faulty 'g' key fixed on your
keyboard? It only worked once in the above, and failed at least five
times.

I'll have a look at it later this mornin, before I go shoppin.

Shoppin for What , OnZ ?
:-)
--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

Old February 10th 06, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:22:57 UTC, "Yddap"
wrote:

In ,
Gñzl T o p @ S e c r e t . c o m opined very noisily:
"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 10:03:32 UTC, "Gzl" T o p @ S e c r e t
. c o m
wrote:

Telewest isn't complainin about that, they're complainin about him
uploadin at around 30 kb/s.
Which one seems to be the one that raises more cause for concern?
I remember bein on 512k, and there was always talk from Fergal about
excessive use of usenet havin a detrimental effect to their network
and
to other users.

Can you please get the intermittently faulty 'g' key fixed on your
keyboard? It only worked once in the above, and failed at least five
times.

I'll have a look at it later this mornin, before I go shoppin.

Shoppin for What , OnZ ?
:-)

Mavis Beacon.
euthanasia recommended. ]
Old February 10th 06, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Yddap wrote:

Can you please get the intermittently faulty 'g' key fixed on your
keyboard? It only worked once in the above, and failed at least five
times.

I'll have a look at it later this mornin, before I go shoppin.

Shoppin for What , OnZ ?
:-)

A 'g' key, perhaps?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:45:44 up 16 days, 3 min, 3 users, load average: 0.37, 0.09, 0.03