Since moving to Blueyonder...

Old February 8th 06, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doehead

Default Since moving to Blueyonder...

We've recently moved from ADSL to cable (Telewest). We've only had the
service a couple of weeks, but I'm finding that every so often the
connection dies, then returns, then dies, and so on. It does this for a
couple of minutes, then it's ok for about 10, then goes on/off/on/off again
for a minute or so, then is fine for 10 and so on. Then you might get hours
of ok connectivity before the cycle resumes.

There's more details of an all day ping test I did at the following address.
(We lose all internet connectivity...pinging was just a good way to prove
it):
http://www.bioss.ac.uk/~iainm/blueyonder
It shows graphs where the ping response time to the bbc is plotted, or a
value of -500 is no response is received, so you can clearly see the periods
of intermittent connectivity (and the strangly regular pattern to it all
when it's happening).

Personally I suspect the Telewest modem. Telewest themselves have been
silent since I reported the fault almost a week ago now.

Anyone else seen/experienced something similar?

Thanks

Old February 8th 06, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Brown

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 10:01:50 -0000, "Doehead" wrote:

There's more details of an all day ping test I did at the following address.
(We lose all internet connectivity...pinging was just a good way to prove
it):
http://www.bioss.ac.uk/~iainm/blueyonder
It shows graphs where the ping response time to the bbc is plotted, or a
value of -500 is no response is received, so you can clearly see the periods
of intermittent connectivity (and the strangly regular pattern to it all
when it's happening).

Personally I suspect the Telewest modem. Telewest themselves have been
silent since I reported the fault almost a week ago now.

Anyone else seen/experienced something similar?

Hi

If you want to e-mail me including some account details etc I'll ask
one of the e-contact guys to get in touch to look at it for you.

Reply-To address is valid.

Alex

--

Alex Brown
blueyonder Product Manager
Old February 8th 06, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gzl

"Doehead" wrote in message
[...]

Are you talkin to support over the phone or in the groups?

blueyonder.support.access.hi-speed

Old February 8th 06, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doehead

"Gzl" T o p @ S e c r e t . c o m wrote in message

"Doehead" wrote in message
[...]

I'd used their online submission form thingy. And interestedly enough, I've
just had a reply back from them...

------------
I refer to your comments regarding your broadband connection.

Can you connect the modem direct to the PC and see if the problem reappears.
If so then please provide full signal levels and logs from the modem config
page http://192.168.100.1 when the fault appears. Also see if you can ping
the following ip addresses: 127.0.0.1 and
192.168.100.1
------------

So I'll give that a try and take it from there (even though I did mention to
them that it happens when directly connected).

And perhaps post to blueyonder.support.access.hi-speed too.

Thanks

Old February 8th 06, 04:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

"Doehead" wrote in message
[...]

Well if you can't ping 127.0.0.1 you've got big problems & as for
192.168.100.1, well if you're posting on this group you must be able
to see that. It may be a reasonably fast responce but it's
non-sensicle unless they're checking your firewall.

Old February 8th 06, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doehead

"Kraftee" wrote in message
------------
I refer to your comments regarding your broadband connection.

Can you connect the modem direct to the PC and see if the problem
reappears. If so then please provide full signal levels and logs from
the modem config page http://192.168.100.1 when the fault appears.
Also see if you can ping the following ip addresses: 127.0.0.1 and
192.168.100.1

Well if you can't ping 127.0.0.1 you've got big problems & as for
192.168.100.1, well if you're posting on this group you must be able to
see that. It may be a reasonably fast responce but it's non-sensicle
unless they're checking your firewall.

Indeed. I know I'll be able to ping localhost as all internal networking is
fine. As for the 192 address of the modem, I'll have to wait until I get
home to try that. The internal network is on 192.168.1 from the router, so I
guess that'll have to be done with a direct connection.