BT Yahoo! Parental Controls - online timer not working on LAN

Old February 10th 06, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,btopenworld.broadband.technical.chat,btopenworld.broadband.support
Stroller

Default BT Yahoo! Parental Controls - online timer not working on LAN

Hi there,

A customer of mine has found a quirky bug with BT Yahoo! Parental
Controls on his LAN.

The software is accessed through the BT's dedicated Yahoo! browser
application which requires users to log on; when we log on as "Dad" we
are able to add accounts for other users and this affects all the PCs in
the house.

If I try to access the internet from the kids' laptop the new username
I've just created (on the study PC) is shown in the users drop-down in
the BT-Yahoo! Browser software (on the laptop) and Internet Explorer
404s unless I log on using that (or Dad's) username. Setting basic
account restrictions is also effective - if I set the new account to the
default "under 10s" settings then I am only able to read the
Yahooligans! kids webpages. Again, an account created on the study PC
affects all machines on the LAN in this way, and the under-10 user
cannot access filth & pr0n on the laptop. When the son tries to send an
email to his mate (using the BT Yahoo webmail, at least) it refuses to
send until Dad has logged in and "approved" the destination email
address.

I have to say that after some tinkering I'm really quite impressed with
this software. I expected it to be totally Mickey Mouse, but the way
that users are locked out of ALL internet applications if they're not
logged into the Y! Browser is really impressive. The software would
appear to do everything the father requires - he can prevent his 16
year-old daughter from reading sex-education & abortion websites and
_should_ be able to limit her to only 6 hours of MSN messenger.

This last point is the problem. Whereas the other settings - once
configured on the study PC - affect all users in the house, hourly usage
restrictions do not. If Dad sets Jim's account so that only one hour of
internet a day is permitted between 7am & 8am, then logging onto the Y!
Browser on the study machine (at 9pm) tells Jim that his usage allowance
has been exceeded. However Jim can log onto the Y! Browser software on
the laptop and run MSN Messenger or surf away to his heart's content.
The content restrictions will be enforced on the laptop, but not the
hourly quotas.

Has anyone else experienced this, or is otherwise able to suggest a fix?
Obviously there's no real documentation that I can find on BT's website,
so I don't know exactly how the software works or how to troubleshoot it.

The BT Yahoo! Browser software reports:
Product version: 5.02.04.809
File version: 2005.09.19.11
BT Yahoo! broadband version: 2.01

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Since I'm not currently accessing
this via the BT.newsgroup.s could you please ensure that any replies are
x-posted to uk.telecom.broadband or cc'd to me by email

Cheers

Stroller.
Old February 10th 06, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 13:39:47 +0000, [Stroller] said :-

Hi there,

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Since I'm not currently accessing
this via the BT.newsgroup.s could you please ensure that any replies are
x-posted to uk.telecom.broadband or cc'd to me by email

Incorrect BT newsgroups, and x-posting will fail, so don't do it.
Old February 10th 06, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,btopenworld.broadband.technical.chat,btopenworld.broadband.support

Stroller wrote:
[...]

What happens if they simply use a different browser?

[...]

I really, really don't believe this (and I do have two children).

--
Chris Green

Old February 11th 06, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stroller

In article , wrote:

When the son tries to send an
email to his mate (using the BT Yahoo webmail, at least) it refuses to
send until Dad has logged in and "approved" the destination email
address.

What happens if they simply use a different browser?

I'd imagine that BT Yahoo handle that on the server side, so it won't
make any difference.

I'm not interested in addressing the failings of BT's parental control
software outside of this bug (unless this is a known feature?) or in
addressing the whole concept of content-filtering internet for kids, so
it doesn't matter at this stage what happens if the kids sign up for
hotmail accounts. If BT are sensible then they'll just block the domains
of free email providers; if they don't then I'm quite happy to
reappraise the situation with alternative suggestions for the dad. I've
already considered that, but BT's software claims (or seems to claim) to
do everything that my customer wants, so he's just asked me to fix this
bug.

I already stated that ALL internet applications are blocked and that
Internet Explorer 404s if the user isn't logged into the Y! Browser so
using a different browser won't make any difference.

I really, really don't believe this (and I do have two children).

I don't have any kids and I have to admit to some scepticism myself,
hence my comments about preventing the 16 year-old daughter "from
reading sex-education & abortion websites". LOL at the very thought of
restricting any teenager to only 6 hours of MSN per day!

But the BT Yahoo! software has surprised me by generally seeming to work
pretty well, aside from this single bug with hourly usage. I would have
liked real documentation about how the system works but obviously that'd
be too much to hope for from BT. I didn't try yet testing with my own
laptop yet - that'd determine if internet access is denied to machines
without the BT Yahoo! software installed or whether it's necessary to
restrict the kids to non-administrator accounts on the laptop - but BT
_do_ seem to have their cookies all lined up in a row on this one.

Substantially all that the father wants to do is restrict the kids
internet access to a couple of hours a day and to enforce a 10pm
Internet curfew on school nights. He has some vague and fuzzy notion
about "protecting them online" (or protecting his daughter at least),
but generally I'd say his requirements are reasonable and seem to be
within the bounds indicated by the software's interface. I'm quite happy
to have a laugh in the pub with my mates at the thought of his daughter
away at university in two years' time ****ing herself silly but it's
really not my business to rub that in his face.

I appreciate that this BT Yahoo! software is fairly obscure and that my
chances of a helpful response are slim, but I've already considered all
the unhelpful responses, so please don't feel obligated to post any more
of them.

Stroller.
Old February 11th 06, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stroller

In article ,
Spin Dryer wrote:

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Since I'm not currently accessing
this via the BT.newsgroup.s could you please ensure that any replies are
x-posted to uk.telecom.broadband or cc'd to me by email

Incorrect BT newsgroups, and x-posting will fail, so don't do it.

Can you suggest the correct BT newsgroups, by any chance?

Why will x-posting fail?
My understanding was that if a posting was x-posted to a group not held
on this server then the headers would be retained so that the posting
would be seen across those groups when it propagated to a server that
holds them.

If I need to open a BT dial-up account to post this question then it's
not an insurmountable problem, just a pain in the arse.

Stroller.