3com router

Old February 10th 06, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
adrian bowyer

Default 3com router

Hi,
Just set up my wireless router at home (3com office connect
3crwdr100a-72), and ive set it up for WPA, but which is more secure? WPA or
WEP.
thanks
ade

Old February 10th 06, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

"Adrian bowyer" a.bowyer(AT)tiscali.co.uk wrote in
:

Hi,
Just set up my wireless router at home (3com office connect
3crwdr100a-72), and ive set it up for WPA, but which is more secure?
WPA or WEP.

I use WPA on the same equipment as you have - as far as I'm aware WPA is
better.

Incidentally my PSU went wrong, so 3Com sent me a complete new boxed router
- I only needed the PSU - but, hey, now I have a spare.
Old February 10th 06, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stroller

In article ,
"Adrian bowyer" a.bowyer(AT)tiscali.co.uk wrote:

Hi,
Just set up my wireless router at home (3com office connect
3crwdr100a-72), and ive set it up for WPA, but which is more secure? WPA or
WEP.

Although WEP is secure enough for most home users it's blindingly easy
to crack for a determined geek. WPA is far more secure, *provided* you
choose a long password.

(WPA doesn't enforce password length and WEP keys are always a minimum
of 40 bits so it is possible to choose a WPA key which is a short enough
to be less secure.)

Best thing to do is choose WPA then enter random crap into the password
or "key" section until it's full. This is a pain to type out, so connect
your laptop to the router with a cable, access the configuration page &
copy the key into your clipboard. Then connect wirelessly & when it asks
for the WPA key paste it in.

Stroller.
Old February 10th 06, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

Adrian bowyer wrote:
Hi,
Just set up my wireless router at home (3com office connect
3crwdr100a-72), and ive set it up for WPA, but which is more secure?
WPA or WEP.
thanks
ade

WPA is more secure.
--
Adrian A

Old February 20th 06, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob

BJH wrote in news:[email protected]
158254.user.individual.net:

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:14:28 -0600, Rob wrote:

My PSU has gone wrong as well.

Where did you call for the replacement?

I registered my router on 3Coms website - hard to explain how to do that as
the 3com web site is difficult to use.

I made a mistake entering the part number and got a whole new product sent
to me - but eventually I did get a new PSU, and it came with a new router.
They didn't bother splitting the box.

Support from 3Com is quite good; it's comes from the US, so as I used email
there is a time delay.

Old February 21st 06, 06:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward W. Thompson

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 04:19:48 -0600, Rob wrote:

BJH wrote in news:[email protected]
158254.user.individual.net:

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:14:28 -0600, Rob wrote:

My PSU has gone wrong as well.

Where did you call for the replacement?

I registered my router on 3Coms website - hard to explain how to do that as
the 3com web site is difficult to use.

I made a mistake entering the part number and got a whole new product sent
to me - but eventually I did get a new PSU, and it came with a new router.
They didn't bother splitting the box.

Support from 3Com is quite good; it's comes from the US, so as I used email
there is a time delay.

From your post it seems that our experience with obtaining a
replacement PSU from 3 com differ considerably. When my PSU failed I
went to the website and noted I should return ONLY the defective part,
that was the PSU. I returned the PSU and consistently noted that the
on line tracking system showed the part had not been received. After
two weeks, and much effort, I finally managed to contact by telephone
someone who could help who advised that they had not received the
router, therefore could not progress the replacement. It seems that as
the router and PSU come as a single part number the 'system' cannot
cope with the return of a single component, it's all or nothing.

Eventually I managed to persuade my contact at 3com to issue a
specific order to provide a replacement PSU as returning the router
would cause considerable inconvenience as I was using the router but
with a PSU from another source. In all it took about 8 weeks to
obtain a stock item. I could have bought a new PSU from 3 com for, I
think, 10 that seems like a bargain when weighed against the struggle
I had with them to honour their warranty.
Old February 21st 06, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BJH

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 06:33:43 +0000 (UTC), Edward W. Thompson wrote:

Eventually I managed to persuade my contact at 3com to issue a
specific order to provide a replacement PSU as returning the router
would cause considerable inconvenience as I was using the router
but with a PSU from another source. In all it took about 8 weeks
to obtain a stock item. I could have bought a new PSU from 3 com
for, I think, 10 that seems like a bargain when weighed against
the struggle I had with them to honour their warranty.

That's interesting because the two routers I have are covered under
3COM 'Advanced Hardware Replacement' which means I get the replacement
first then return the defective item.

But all I want is a PSU and I am still getting the complete unit, but
I have to return complete so I won't be gaining another router.

--
Best regards
Barry