Time for a new wireless router/adslmodem. Any recommendations?

Old February 10th 06, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Downie

Default Time for a new wireless router/adslmodem. Any recommendations?

I've a hankering for one of those three aerial jobbies with the better
coverage as my own is a bit marginal in many parts of my house. I've read
about the Belkin F5D8230 and the Linksys WRT54GX Router with SRX but there
may be others.

Any recommended models?

Tim

Old February 10th 06, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Tim Downie wrote:
I've a hankering for one of those three aerial jobbies with the
better
coverage as my own is a bit marginal in many parts of my house.
I've
read about the Belkin F5D8230 and the Linksys WRT54GX Router with
SRX
but there may be others.

Any recommended models?

Have you seen the Netgear DG834PN, I have the Wirelees Acces Point
version & that is as good as they say (needed to deperate the router
function from the wifi as the router is being put into a semi shielded
room which would cause problems for the wifi). They have 6 internal
aeriels which the unit constantly switches between seeking for the
optimum signal...

Be warned it does band spread if you use it to it's full potential &
will be centred on channel 6 so you could give your neighbours grief.
Mind you my neighbour is on Channel 6, I set him up over a year ago
when I was using 11 & we had another SID cropping up on 1, but they
haven't affected me & I haven't heard any complaints from next door
(possibly because the son it was set up for has moved out to digs),
give it a look see

Old February 10th 06, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweetie Pooh

"Tim Downie" wrote in
:

I've a hankering for one of those three aerial jobbies with the better
coverage as my own is a bit marginal in many parts of my house. I've
read about the Belkin F5D8230 and the Linksys WRT54GX Router with SRX
but there may be others.

Any recommended models?

Tim

The Belkin is excellent but avoid a version 2 unit (version 200x on
underside of unit and on box). This also applies to V2 mimo's from other
manf's too. There is a problem with streaming content and the firewall.

V3 is now out but not available in units yet but there are some faster
stuff now rated at 240Mb.

These are not ADSL devices so you will need an ADSL modem in addition to
the router. I think this is an advantage since if you move to cable area
your router will still be usable. Also if router goes you can plug into
modem direct and keep some form of link going til router replaced. If
modem goes, just replace modem.

The firmware on Belkin is not as good as some and releases are few and far.
It does have a lifetime warentee though which may be of interest.