Plusnet gone even slooowwweeerrrrrr...

Old February 10th 06, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\\\) voom

Default Plusnet gone even slooowwweeerrrrrr...

Over recent months I have seen my P2P drop to almost dial-up speeds which I
expected but today I decided to do a speed test as I thought my general
browsing seemed slower. The first test I got back showed up as 508 kilobits
which I assumed was wrong, so I headed over to ADSLGuide and did another
test which showed up as 379 kilobits!

I have reset my connection and hardware but still the same. When I first
joined Plusnet I used to run at full speed at all times. I have emailed them
and await their response. I just hope it's some kind of error that can be
resolved quickly. I've not seen these speeds since I was on 512k.

Old February 10th 06, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheDysk

"Gareth :-\) voom" wrote in message
Over recent months I have seen my P2P drop to almost dial-up speeds which
I expected but today I decided to do a speed test as I thought my general
browsing seemed slower. The first test I got back showed up as 508
kilobits which I assumed was wrong, so I headed over to ADSLGuide and did
another test which showed up as 379 kilobits!

I have reset my connection and hardware but still the same. When I first
joined Plusnet I used to run at full speed at all times. I have emailed
them and await their response. I just hope it's some kind of error that
can be resolved quickly. I've not seen these speeds since I was on 512k.

Plusnet use traffic shaping/management techniques now. They've probably
applied traffic management rules to your connection. I had the same problem.

To resolve it I scheduled any P2P downloads to happen in the off peak slot
of midnight to 8am.

They tend to remove the traffic management from your account on your billing
date and then reapply it when you've used 20gb of bandwidth during peak
times. I argued the point with them that all the literature on the website
states that peak time is 4pm til midnight but they have shanged their
policys so that peak is 8am-midnight without changing the literature. No
matter how hard I tried to point this out to the they just couldn't or
wouldn't understand. Ho Hum.

Off course your problem could still be something else but the reply from
plusnet, when it arrives, should clarify exactly what the problem is.

TheDysk

Old February 10th 06, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

The Internet is dropping to bits.

I've now been highjacked by BT Yahoo. Adverts and invitations to
enter name and password appear all over the place. An absolute
disgrace.

After being passed from one recorded announcement to another, I have
had one useless conversation with Bombay or Calcutta in an
undecipherable dialect.

The only solution appears for service providers to deleter all
software, reformat their hard drives, switch everything off and begin
again at square one.

I would send out for a packet of cigarettes and a bottle of scotch if
the shops were open.

Old February 10th 06, 11:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

"TheDysk" wrote in message

[...]

The peak time is 4pm - midnight. - You can use 30Gb during this time before
you get a warning.
The p2p/ftp/usenet peak time is currently 8am-midnight. You can use 20Gb of
p2p/ftp/usenet traffic in this time before speeds slow a little, 5Gb more
and it slows more and so on. This is planned to change to 4-midnight to
match the peak time end of feb-ish.

The web pages showing the 4-12 times are correct.

Old February 11th 06, 12:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anon

Reg Edwards wrote:

I would send out for a packet of cigarettes and a bottle of
scotch if the shops were open.

I don't know when they stop selling alcohol but my local Asda,
Tesco and even the Spar down the road are all open - in fact,
I'm just off out for some essentials right now!

Old February 11th 06, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 23:51:05 +0000 (UTC), [Reg Edwards] said :-

The Internet is dropping to bits.

I've now been highjacked by BT Yahoo. Adverts and invitations to
enter name and password appear all over the place. An absolute
disgrace.

What adverts ?

Sounds like you've got a computer full of spyware
Old February 12th 06, 05:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

Reg Edwards wrote:

The Internet is dropping to bits.

I've now been highjacked by BT Yahoo. Adverts and invitations to
enter name and password appear all over the place. An absolute
disgrace.

After being passed from one recorded announcement to another, I have
had one useless conversation with Bombay or Calcutta in an
undecipherable dialect.

The only solution appears for service providers to deleter all
software, reformat their hard drives, switch everything off and begin
again at square one.

Or run Linux off of liveCDs.
Hundreds to choose from and its all free http://www.livecdlist.com
Knoppix, Mepis, DSL etc are all good. DSL runs off USB stick if needed.