Newbie questions.

Old February 11th 06, 06:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Default Newbie questions.

Two questions.
Apart from bandwidth, what are the limits on downloading email, and
news? Could be the respective server's capacity?
Connected via a router, are you 'using' bandwidth if your link is idle?
I assume not.
'No question is a dumb question' but sometimes it feels like it.
TIA
--
Paul reply-to is valid
Old February 12th 06, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Sayers

Paul wrote:

Two questions.
Apart from bandwidth, what are the limits on downloading email, and
news? Could be the respective server's capacity?

It will depend on what limits your ISP has set, and which account you are on.
Generally for email you'll never have a limit problem, unless you get a lot of large
attachments, but for Usenet some ISPs (Plusnet for example) give you a monthly
"limit" before they start to restrict the speed of your link.

OTOH if you are on a 1Gig a month capped account, for example, then you may find you
just pay more for going over this limit. You'll need to check with Demon to fond out
how you are effected.

Connected via a router, are you 'using' bandwidth if your link is idle?
I assume not.

Yes, you will use a little. If my router is on and all computers are off, my ISP's
usage shows a tiny amount of traffic, being things like probes etc etc.
It's so small though it shouldn't effect your overall usage total to any extent.

hth

--

Andrew Sayers
Old February 12th 06, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

In message , Andrew Sayers
writes
Paul wrote:

Two questions.
Apart from bandwidth, what are the limits on downloading email, and
news? Could be the respective server's capacity?

Hmm, my question wasn't clear. ;(
What I meant to ask was about the download speed. I ask this because
although email is significantly faster, news seems about the same speed.
[...]

Thanks for your answers, I hadn't thought of the low level traffic on
the link that you mention.
Demon fortunately has no limits.
Paul.

--
Paul reply-to is valid
Old February 12th 06, 11:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

In message , Peter
M writes
Paul wrote:

Andrew Sayers writes
Paul wrote:
Two questions.
Apart from bandwidth, what are the limits on downloading email, and
news? Could be the respective server's capacity?

Hmm, my question wasn't clear. ;(
What I meant to ask was about the download speed I ask this because
although email is significantly faster, news seems about the same
speed.

Same speed as *what* ? Also, are you using Demon's news service, or
that of NIN ? It seems like the latter, from which I assume you are
on the Demon 19.99/month account, and unable to use theirs.

Same speed as on Demon's dialup previously.
Yes, Demon's 19.99 and yes using NIN
On the basis you are using news.individual.net, it may be worth using
http://groups.google.com/ as I felt recent comments were that there
had been some speed or reliability issues.

Reliability seems OK, download speed as on Demon dialup. However, posts
from myself appear almost instantly on NIN, whereas on Demon it took
five minutes or so.
I don't use NIN, and never have, so cannot comment. Peter M.

--
Paul reply-to is valid