OT - Hosting Companies

Old February 11th 06, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Invisible Man

Default OT - Hosting Companies

Hi

I have a dot org address that I want to transfer out of Free Parking
(too many delays mail forwarding).

It is only used for mail redirecting and redirecting to my website on my
ISPs server.

Anyone got any advice on where I can look for advice or anyone got any
recommendations?

I was thinking of 1and1 but I have had problems trying to work out how
to transfer my site in to them on-line and their customer service seems
useless.

TIA for any help.
Old February 11th 06, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"The Invisible Man" wrote in message

Hi

I have a dot org address that I want to transfer out of
Free Parking (too many delays mail forwarding).

It is only used for mail redirecting and redirecting to
my website on my ISPs server.

Anyone got any advice on where I can look for advice or
anyone got any recommendations?

I was thinking of 1and1 but I have had problems trying to
work out how to transfer my site in to them on-line and
their customer service seems useless.

TIA for any help.

I've used www.lcn.biz for several years now with no problems. They're not
the cheapest but tech support is good.

Ivor

Old February 11th 06, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[L.]

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 16:57:55 +0000, The Invisible Man
wrote:

Hi

I have a dot org address that I want to transfer out of Free Parking
(too many delays mail forwarding).

It is only used for mail redirecting and redirecting to my website on my
ISPs server.

I have a couple of domains on 123-reg.co.uk for several years which I
also use only for redirection of mail and I never noticed any problems
or delays

Lorenz

[L.]
Old February 11th 06, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Ivor Jones wrote:

"The Invisible Man" wrote in message

It is only used for mail redirecting and redirecting to my
website on my ISPs server. Anyone got any advice on where
I can look for advice or anyone got any recommendations?

You might want to sign up for a free account at ZoneEdit.com
which will allow you to have their mail/web forwarding for free -
there's an upper limit of about 200 MB a year (which is fine for
just DNS lookups, but could be eaten by e-mail forwarding, if you
left the domain with their service).

With ZoneEdit, you have something 'stable' to use while switching
from JTN to another registration firm. You'd use the ZoneEdit
name servers and use the JTN control panel to swap from their
own DNS to something like ns77.zoneedit.com + ns78.zoneedit.com
(whatever ones ZoneEdit allocate via the web site)

Make sure you copy down any "Authorization Code" sent by e-mail
or displayed on the JTN web site (you may also need to "unlock"
your domain, before you can do a transfer from them). For one
of my .org domains, the service I use showed:
Auth Code 9F73ECD99E704BC5

If I was to request a transfer to another registration firm, a
request to use some web form and fill in that code (or rather,
the correct code!!!) may be sent, and without it there would
be no transfer made. If you get stuck, my reply-to mail
address should work OK.

Once you have requested the transfer, then you would be able to
use any mail/web forwarding from the new registration firm, or
leave it pro tem with ZoneEdit (or some other service). I've
used runbox.com for my incoming mail for some time, and with
ZoneEdit.com (or similar) one just sets an MX record to point
to the mail server at runbox... Alternatively, it's quite a
cheap option to find web hosting on Ebay and use it for a few
dollars a year, just to use for POP mailbox(es)... faster to
collect mail direct from there, than have it forwarded to a
mailbox run by an ISP with any odd policies (such as them
having silly rules over which other ISPs mail is blocked,
possibly blocking legitimate mail you would want to get!)

You'd set the web forwarding to go to your ISP web space,
and the MX record to point to the web hosting address...
You could do other things, with sub-domains etc, etc, but
probably outside the scope of what you were after :-)

I was thinking of 1and1 but I have had problems trying to
work out how to transfer my site in to them on-line and
their customer service seems useless.

Yes, one to avoid, IMO!

I've used www.lcn.biz for several years now with no problems.
They're not the cheapest but tech support is good.

Depends what 'tech support' one might need... for just moving
a domain and setting up forwarding I'd hope very little. I pay
from $6 to $10 a year for domains, sometimes under $2 for a new
domain, but a transfer is likely to cost more as there are not
as many deals to be had. Go Daddy.com, Hostway.com, and a
load of others are around, with some keen prices. Peter M.

Old February 11th 06, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

[L.] wrote:

I have a couple of domains on 123-reg.co.uk for several years which I
also use only for redirection of mail and I never noticed any problems
or delays

Someone reported delays of 3-5 days in December 2005, on some domain at
123-reg.co.uk. I try to avoid forwarding in case the recipient server
has policies I don't like, and because in any issues over delays it can
sometimes be difficult to prove which end was causing the delay - worse
if mail is being lost. Peter M.

[ It is more a problem of any policy which gets changed, over time, so
while one might have no problems initially, someone else makes a small
change and blocks your incoming mail, without you having any option. ]

Old February 11th 06, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

I wrote:

from JTN to another registration firm.

Sorry, some other query I had was about Just-The-Name recently
but OP mentioned Free Parking, which I've not used, personally.