Zen

Old February 11th 06, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Boomhauer

Default Zen

I was with PlusNet's unlimited 1Mb service and moved to Zen (maybe to cut my
own nose off out of spite) due to the limit PlusNet put on my usage (as they
considered me a heavy user).

I don't think Zen's service is all it's cracked up to be on adslguide.org as
frequently get situations where the service has stopped (not dropped, but
can't send or receive data even though it is still connected).

I want a price similar to PlusNet's and the quality to boot, but don't want
to go back to PlusNet yet until I change my name, address and entire
identity (as don't want to look like a tit going back to them and them
saying "I told you so")!!!!

I'm a proud man....

Any ideas on an ISP based on the above......

Old February 11th 06, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Downie

Dave Boomhauer wrote:
I was with PlusNet's unlimited 1Mb service and moved to Zen (maybe to
cut my own nose off out of spite) due to the limit PlusNet put on my
usage (as they considered me a heavy user).

I don't think Zen's service is all it's cracked up to be on
adslguide.org as frequently get situations where the service has
stopped (not dropped, but can't send or receive data even though it
is still connected).

Been with Zen for over 2 years now. Never had that problem. Are you sure
it's not a problem with your equipment?

Tim

Old February 11th 06, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Boomhauer

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
Dave Boomhauer wrote:
I was with PlusNet's unlimited 1Mb service and moved to Zen (maybe to
cut my own nose off out of spite) due to the limit PlusNet put on my
usage (as they considered me a heavy user).

I don't think Zen's service is all it's cracked up to be on
adslguide.org as frequently get situations where the service has
stopped (not dropped, but can't send or receive data even though it
is still connected).

Been with Zen for over 2 years now. Never had that problem. Are you sure
it's not a problem with your equipment?

Tim

My service was fine with PlusNet up until their restrictions.........My
equipment must be fine...

The equipment isn't the issue..

Old February 11th 06, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Tim Downie wrote:
Dave Boomhauer wrote:
I was with PlusNet's unlimited 1Mb service and moved to Zen (maybe
cut my own nose off out of spite) due to the limit PlusNet put on
my
usage (as they considered me a heavy user).

I don't think Zen's service is all it's cracked up to be on
adslguide.org as frequently get situations where the service has
stopped (not dropped, but can't send or receive data even though it
is still connected).

Been with Zen for over 2 years now. Never had that problem. Are
you
sure it's not a problem with your equipment?

It could even be down to the OPs internal wiring causing excessive
errors which is causing the slow down/stop.

Here again go back to basics, test from the test socket of the NTE
with a known good filter (not just one which you think works, so try
them all). If the problem dissapears, it's time for the wiring to be
sorted, which you can do, or get anybody else to do. Little hint if
you do get anybody else make sure they use solid core, twisted pair as
I've known one more than one occaision the local sparky to run it all
in stranded non twisted burglar alarm cable which is a very big no
no..

Old February 12th 06, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

Dave Boomhauer wrote:
"Tim Downie" wrote in message
Dave Boomhauer wrote:
I was with PlusNet's unlimited 1Mb service and moved to Zen (maybe
to cut my own nose off out of spite) due to the limit PlusNet put
on my usage (as they considered me a heavy user).

I don't think Zen's service is all it's cracked up to be on
adslguide.org as frequently get situations where the service has
stopped (not dropped, but can't send or receive data even though
it
is still connected).

Been with Zen for over 2 years now. Never had that problem. Are
you sure it's not a problem with your equipment?

Tim

My service was fine with PlusNet up until their
restrictions.........My equipment must be fine...

The equipment isn't the issue..

So you think that equipment has unlimited lifespans do you, if that
was the case why do companies even bother with service departments.
Heaven forbid you may have a line plant problem. Don't go blaming the
ISP as first cause....

Old February 12th 06, 12:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tester

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 23:10:58 -0000, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

Dave Boomhauer wrote:
I was with PlusNet's unlimited 1Mb service and moved to Zen (maybe to
cut my own nose off out of spite) due to the limit PlusNet put on my
usage (as they considered me a heavy user).

I don't think Zen's service is all it's cracked up to be on
adslguide.org as frequently get situations where the service has
stopped (not dropped, but can't send or receive data even though it
is still connected).

Been with Zen for over 2 years now. Never had that problem. Are you sure
it's not a problem with your equipment?

Tim

I was with BT Openworld, Yahoo and then BT BB - frm 512 to 2Mb/s.
Ocassionally the line would drop and I would need to reconnect, but
the main problem was dud IP's and packet loss, together with silly
caps.

December 2005 I xfer'd to Zen, and basically I am very pleases except
for two things.

1) My connection seems to drop quite often (I use modems, got a
stingray + 330). Never had so many drops with BT as I do with Zen, and
the system reconnected but the connection is useless. Nothing in nor
out until I reboot (similar to the other posted it seems).
Disconnecting the modem, logging off, removing the USB hub and back
again does sod all - just a reboot cure. This happens once to 2 times
a week on avarage, sometimes 3-4 times a week. I would not care if
auto-recoonect worked, but it does not. I get the connected to Zen at
2Mb/s (BT engineers said my line is good for 8Mb/s in tests from my
house re. packet loss, which was BT ISP), I see it pas my details to
Zens servers, but it's pointess as the connection is then as good as
dead. So, there does seem to be something odd with Zen - from memory,
if I logoff I regularly cannot reconnect with a worthwhile connection,
I have to reboot - never had this with BT, and my system has not
changed, just my logon details moving from BT to Zen. I have tried
working ghost images and both modems - just problems of this kind with
Zen.

2) The support is not always that good - the news service regularly
breaks and support have taken 4-5 days to respond to problem reports
Old February 12th 06, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nightowl

tester wrote on Sun, 12 Feb 2006:

1) My connection seems to drop quite often (I use modems, got a
stingray + 330). Never had so many drops with BT as I do with Zen, and
the system reconnected but the connection is useless. Nothing in nor
out until I reboot (similar to the other posted it seems).
Disconnecting the modem, logging off, removing the USB hub and back
again does sod all - just a reboot cure. This happens once to 2 times
a week on avarage, sometimes 3-4 times a week.

I migrated to Zen three weeks ago, have been continuously connected
since then and haven't had any line drops or glitches at all. I use a
router, though.

2) The support is not always that good - the news service regularly
breaks and support have taken 4-5 days to respond to problem reports

No problems here with the news service either. I haven't needed to use
Tech Support yet. but have mailed Customer Services twice to set up
email addresses. Both times they responded within a couple of hours.

--
Nightowl
Old February 12th 06, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

wrote:

Dave Boomhauer wrote:
[...]

Hmm!

Migrated to Zen at the beginning of the year. Had serious loss of
sync/disconnection problems just as I started the migration. Contacted Zen
after I had completed the migration. A couple of tests for me to do then,
within minutes of me reporting the tests complete, it was passed to BT to
resolve. Zen kept me informed throughout. No problems so far with their
news server, certainly much better than Plusnet's news server.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old February 12th 06, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tester

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 13:02:36 +0000, Nightowl ] wrote:

[...]

Well, Zen's forum's are full of reported problems with the news
service, some have indicated they are looking elsehwere because paying
for a proper news provider on top of Zen is too much (not my case as I
have EN and one other for a short while).

Their status page finally admits the news service had a majpr problem
(hardly anything was complete if getting headers from Zen the past
week+).
Old February 13th 06, 12:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dominion

"Dave Boomhauer" wrote in message
-snip-
I don't think Zen's service is all it's cracked up to be on adslguide.org
as frequently get situations where the service has stopped (not dropped,
but can't send or receive data even though it is still connected).

-snip-

I've been using Zen for over 3 years now and just upgraded to 2mb. Never
had one stale session or loss of sync in all that time and I'm on a heavy
exchange.

Dom