NTL trials 100Mbit broadband

Old February 12th 06, 05:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

Default NTL trials 100Mbit broadband

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/10/ntl_trial/

Other countries have for years been running 100Mbit SDSL
for about 30 quid a month and its good to see at least one
UK outfit going 100Mbit even if its only a technologically
inferior ADSL only type of dis-service.

Old February 12th 06, 08:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mugwump

In article ,
says...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/10/ntl_trial/

Other countries have for years been running 100Mbit SDSL
for about 30 quid a month

References?

--
Mugwump

Reply to 'usenetmail{at}discworld{dot}org{dot}uk
Old February 12th 06, 08:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 08:01:38 +0000, Mugwump wrote:

In article ,
says...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/10/ntl_trial/

Other countries have for years been running 100Mbit SDSL
for about 30 quid a month

References?

Its 7's pet subject, anytime now it will be a tirade against BT.

Dave

Old February 12th 06, 08:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"7" wrote in message
. uk...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/10/ntl_trial/

Other countries have for years been running 100Mbit SDSL
for about 30 quid a month and its good to see at least one
UK outfit going 100Mbit even if its only a technologically
inferior ADSL only type of dis-service.

It isn't ADSL.

Old February 12th 06, 08:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

Alastair wrote:

"7" wrote in message
. uk...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/10/ntl_trial/

Other countries have for years been running 100Mbit SDSL
for about 30 quid a month and its good to see at least one
UK outfit going 100Mbit even if its only a technologically
inferior ADSL only type of dis-service.

It isn't ADSL.

Doh! Who said it was?
Its not SDSL - i.e. equal upload and download bit rate.
Its ADSL type - i.e. low upload bit rate compared to download bit rate.

Old February 12th 06, 09:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

Dave Stanton wrote:

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 08:01:38 +0000, Mugwump wrote:

In article ,
says...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/10/ntl_trial/

Other countries have for years been running 100Mbit SDSL
for about 30 quid a month

References?

Its 7's pet subject, anytime now it will be a tirade against BT.

Dave

Hmm...
Thanks for reminding me.... to remind fsck wits at BT$ sales nuts
astroturfing here that they are tiresome ding dongs that should fall on
their own swords whenever they are caught with their panties down on issues
like offering capped dis-service when capping equipment costs more than
uncapped service, failing to offer low cost cheaper SDSL than ADSL
by bundling unwanted SLA, or failing offer speed in line with global norms.

To previous poster, I meant to say 100Mbit has been available for years
in many countries like Japan, Korea etc for 30 quid a month
and that 100Mbit SDSL had been rolled out in USA for many months for about
same price as ADSL. You can google.

Old February 12th 06, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

7 wrote:

Other countries have for years been running 100Mbit SDSL
for about 30 quid a month

A Hong Kong cable service was the first one I'd heard of, in
the second half of last year. If you claim a number of other
countries have been ofering this for years, some URLs of their
service providers would show it was the case. No URLs and this
looks like more of your old ramblings. Peter Morgan.

Old February 12th 06, 10:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Peter M" wrote in message
7 wrote:

Other countries have for years been running 100Mbit SDSL
for about 30 quid a month

A Hong Kong cable service was the first one I'd heard of, in
the second half of last year. If you claim a number of other
countries have been ofering this for years, some URLs of their
service providers would show it was the case. No URLs and this
looks like more of your old ramblings. Peter Morgan.

Dubai have had 100M Ethernet for years.
I worked for the company that planned and installed it.

I don't know of many others where the network can actually deliver 100M even
though the technologies allow it.
Iceland probably can but its been a while since I saw any network diagrams
for that country.

Old February 12th 06, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
chappycheeky

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 08:52:25 GMT, 7
wrote:

7

Irealise that assisted suicide is illegal in this country, but I'd be
willing to take the risk in your case.
Old February 12th 06, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

[email protected] wrote:

Dubai have had 100M Ethernet for years.

Thanks for that. Wonder what users pay ... vaguely remember
some of the oil-rich nations had all local phone calls free,
and internet services might be subsidised, too.

I don't know of many others where the network can actually
deliver 100M even though the technologies allow it.

From memory, on the HK cable service, only local connections
can be up to 100 Mbps, with international connections limited
to 20 Mbps. Many LANs have worked well for years at 10 Mbps,
and one reason for switching to 100 Mbps these days would be
the cost and availability of kit running at 10/100 while 10
Mbps kit is now getting to be the exception!

It's all very well to have 10 Mpbs or higher, but I see hardly
any point in expecting much higher speeds from some remote web
server, because while the NTLs and others offer a fast link to
their network, plenty of web farms still offer services based
on 2 Mbps burst speed, and even with dedicated servers, just
10 Mbps per server card, so their networks aren't flooded!

The quest for speed is fun, but has limited need, or use, for
now, and perhaps for a while to come, IMO. Peter M.