Which ISP

Old February 12th 06, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scared

Default Which ISP

Things are really starting to change in the ISP world, a number of the
smaller ISP's have been swallowed up by the bigger companies, and I think
this will happen even more in the near future as the market gets saturated,
leaving just the big players and few small unknown ones.

Currently I use Pipex, They have been a good ISP, but I am unhappy with
their new style since they have been bought out a years or so ago.

I now hear they BT are sniffing around with a possible purchase in mind.
Personally I think that's what the Pipex management really wants, but that's
only my opinion.

As I do not want to be a BT broadband customer, If this take over occurs I
will migrate to another ISP, my question is which one.

I was considering Plusnet, but I also believe they will be taken over
eventually

I don't want to go with one of the really big companies like

- BT

- AOL

Also don't want to go with,what I call value ISP's, i.e those for people who
want to surf one page a month at a very low cost.

And lastly no fly by nights which may not be around in the future.

Ideally

I would like to Join the pipex of old : (

I am looking for the following

- Stable connection

- Multiple email addresses

- Usenet access (mostly text based)

- The ability to use email addresses not owned by that isp. i.e the use of
domains registered to you thought another company.

I would like higher speeds, but my line can only cope with 1Mb

My line stats are

DS US

Line Attenuation 50 db 31 db

Noise Margin 11 db 24 db

My over all monthly usage is between 1 & 10GB

With the future of streaming TV and radio I believe this figure will
increase.

I have been considering NTL, but have heard in the past that their stability
is not good, is this still true?

Also I have heard that the 10Mb service often reduces far below its peek of
10Mb, is this also true?

Lastly do NTL still insist on charging for unwanted extras such as phone
line rental? Or is the price they quote for the broadband the price you pay,
even if you don't take the phone.

Thanks

Old February 12th 06, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 17:06:22 UTC, "Scared" wrote:

I don't want to go with one of the really big companies like

Also don't want to go with,what I call value ISP's, i.e those for people who
want to surf one page a month at a very low cost.

I would like to Join the pipex of old : (

I suggest AAISP. You have a soft 3GB limit during working hours on the
27 quid/month account. But that's only for downloads, and only for that
time...it is truly unlimited the rest of the time. Depending on your
usage profile, that will probably fit your bill.

Email-wise, they'll do email for any domains they hold the tag for. But
no reason why you can't run your own mail server - they virtually
encourage it.

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old February 12th 06, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

Scared wrote:
[...]

Doubt they will meet your needs anyway. Even if you think they do note that
they always seem to have 1% heavy users who they take action against,
usually without notice. The results then apply generally.

I don't want to go with one of the really big companies like

- BT

- AOL

Also don't want to go with,what I call value ISP's, i.e those for
people who want to surf one page a month at a very low cost.

That is, or soon will be, Plusnet.

And lastly no fly by nights which may not be around in the future.

Ideally

I would like to Join the pipex of old : (

Look at Zen. A 1M account will cost 30 but is truly unlimited. Service is
excellent.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field