End to End IP QoS for voice, video and Xbox Live

Old February 13th 06, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Hiro

Default End to End IP QoS for voice, video and Xbox Live

Does anyone know if any VoIP providers or ISPs are supporting
end-to-end (between my home and the VoIP service provider) QoS
handling? If not, is anyone aware if its on their offerings roadmap?

Presumably the VoIP service provider then have their own mechanisms for
handling QoS to the end destination in order to give a clean phone
connection.

Also, am planning on getting Xbox Live so will need to somehow get QoS
priorities working between data, voice, video and Halo 2 games sessions
on my soon to arrive Thomson Speedtouch 716wl gadget using newly
provisioned UK Online 2MBPS service...any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hiro

Old February 13th 06, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
themgt

Hiro wrote:

Does anyone know if any VoIP providers or ISPs are supporting
end-to-end (between my home and the VoIP service provider) QoS
handling?

No.

See this : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4700430.stm
Old February 14th 06, 08:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Hiro" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone know if any VoIP providers or ISPs are supporting
end-to-end (between my home and the VoIP service provider) QoS
handling? If not, is anyone aware if its on their offerings roadmap?

Presumably the VoIP service provider then have their own mechanisms for
handling QoS to the end destination in order to give a clean phone
connection.

Also, am planning on getting Xbox Live so will need to somehow get QoS
priorities working between data, voice, video and Halo 2 games sessions
on my soon to arrive Thomson Speedtouch 716wl gadget using newly
provisioned UK Online 2MBPS service...any advice would be appreciated.

Yes there are suppliers who offer this, But not at a domestic rate. basicly
they offer a VPN.

Some domestic ISPs are now starting to introduce Network management:
This is what my isp is doing, And quality has improved - was only in the
evenings now its " Introduction of traffic prioritisation to ensure
important web, email, gaming and broadband phone call (VoIP) traffic gets
priority at all times".

Ian

Old February 14th 06, 08:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Ward

Hiro wrote:
Does anyone know if any VoIP providers or ISPs are supporting
end-to-end (between my home and the VoIP service provider) QoS
handling? If not, is anyone aware if its on their offerings roadmap?

No, that's what the so-called 21st Century Networks are all about - IP
Telephony (with QoS) as opposed to Voice over IP (without QoS). It'll
be on all the major telco ISPs' roadmaps. BT is trialling something in
Cardiff, so if you're fortunate enough to live there then you may get
it sooner!

Presumably the VoIP service provider then have their own mechanisms for
handling QoS to the end destination in order to give a clean phone
connection.

Yes, the packets are marked to indicate the priority with which the
network should handle them. Time-critical stuff (voice, video) gets a
high priority and non-time-critical stuff (data) gets a low priority.

What you're after is available today in Enterprise networks (IP
Telephony over the LAN) but is too costly to do over the current PSTN.

Nick

Old February 14th 06, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Hiro

and who pray tell is your ISP?

Old February 14th 06, 10:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Ward

Hiro wrote:
and who pray tell is your ISP?

Netservices - www.netservicesplc.com - they have an IP Telephony
service (as opposed to VoIP).

Old February 14th 06, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Hiro

Thanks Nick
looks like netservicesplc is selling services to business customers as
you mention below and delivering end to end Qos traffic presumably via
VPNs as Ian has mentioned.

Ian
I was actually interested in your domestic line provider... is it
plusnet by any chance?

Believe 21cn is pegged for delivery in 2008 onwards...seems not bad if
they can deliver in 2 years but suspect it will get delayed

Cheers
Hiro

Old February 14th 06, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Nick Ward" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hiro wrote:
and who pray tell is your ISP?

Netservices - www.netservicesplc.com - they have an IP Telephony
service (as opposed to VoIP).

No its not! or are you answering a different question ???

Ian

Old February 14th 06, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Nick Ward" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hiro wrote:
[...]

You have been able to get QOS With priority fo voice for at least the last 3
years with certain suppliers.
At the moment most if not all VPNS are avalible with QOS, But at a cost.

Now some normal ISPs are starting to do network managment, I have definately
seen an improvement since its introduction by my ISP.

Ian

Old February 14th 06, 08:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Ward

Ian wrote:
"Nick Ward" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hiro wrote:
and who pray tell is your ISP?

Netservices - www.netservicesplc.com - they have an IP Telephony
service (as opposed to VoIP).

No its not! or are you answering a different question ???

Ian

In answer to the question 'and who pray tell is your ISP', I can
confirm that the answer is Netservices (though I hope this is not what
you meant).

If the comment 'No its not!' refers to my statement that Netservices
has an IP Telephony service (as opposed to VoIP) then I beg to differ
as per:

http://www.voice4ip.com/our_network/...-class-network

But if you have first-hand experience and it doesn't offer the claimed
QoS then it would be interesting to know about.

I have no connection (as it were) with Netservices.