Moving house again. Is it any any easier?

Old February 13th 06, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Moving house again. Is it any any easier?

The last time I moved house I kept the same phone number and this time
I'll be doing the same. It took about a month for me to get broadband
re-provisioned and in that time I had to resort to dialup. Are things
going to be any easier this time around? I can handle a few days but
if it's weeks again I'll go mental! Anyone have any experience with
this in the last 24 months?

Lee.
--
lee at w2designs dot co dot uk

If I have one flaw, it's that I'm a perfectoinist.

Old February 14th 06, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward Cowling London UK

In message , "[email protected]"
writes
The last time I moved house I kept the same phone number and this time
I'll be doing the same. It took about a month for me to get broadband
re-provisioned and in that time I had to resort to dialup. Are things
going to be any easier this time around? I can handle a few days but
if it's weeks again I'll go mental! Anyone have any experience with
this in the last 24 months?

I'd ditto the previous guy and say it depends on who you're with. I did
move last year and Teleworst were so bad I ended up going back to a
plain vanilla BT line and my Demon dial up.

What do I mean by bad ? Well they charged me a 30 day penalty because
they couldn't provide the service when I moved. Then they wanted (and I
never did understand why) me to give the sales guy 30 in cash, or on a
credit card to open a new account where I live. Plus there were all
sorts of contradictory stories about why they couldn't connect me up
from day 1. I won't even get into the two Serbian guys who installed the
Teleworst broad band.... the scars are still too fresh :-)

Now I'm going to go with Demon Broad band on my BT line, and Teleworst
can shove their service where the sun don't shine :-)

--
Edward Cowling London UK
Old February 14th 06, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pooter

[email protected] ] said
The last time I moved house I kept the same phone number and this time
I'll be doing the same. It took about a month for me to get broadband
re-provisioned and in that time I had to resort to dialup. Are things
going to be any easier this time around? I can handle a few days but
if it's weeks again I'll go mental! Anyone have any experience with
this in the last 24 months?

Lee.

I moved house 5 months ago.

My new house did not have a BT phone line so I ordered that before I
moved. I moved on Tuesday and the phone line was physically installed on
Friday.

24 hours later, my new phone number appeared on the ADSL phone line
checker and I ordered broadband on Sunday. BT had checked my line by
Tuesday and I got an enabled date of the following Tuesday although in
the event my line was live when I checked it on the Monday evening.

So that was a week and a day from order and two weeks from moving in
day.

The only other things to add is that I cancelled my broadband at the old
house and ordered afresh rather than transferring the service and that I
did not transfer my phone number as I moved to a different STD code.

So not quite the same situation as you but hopefully it gives you an
idea of timescales.
Old February 14th 06, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
anon

pooter wrote:

24 hours later, my new phone number appeared on the ADSL phone
line checker and I ordered broadband on Sunday.

I think your experience was perhaps one of the most favourable, when
compared with comments from others. Some ISPs cantry to arrange for
ADSL activation on the same day as you get phone service, but that's
down to individual ISPs. It is perhaps easier to start afresh so it
is a simple activation and not a transfer of service, unless one has
a good reason to stick with the same ISP.

Old February 17th 06, 09:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hugo Nebula

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:38:10 +0000, a particular chimpanzee named
"[email protected]" randomly hit the keyboard
and produced:

The last time I moved house I kept the same phone number and this time
I'll be doing the same.

Similar to you, I moved house but kept the same number. I changed
ISPs as my BT line could only offer 0.5Mb, so I went with a 2Mb LLU
service (UKOnline). My cancellation date was 30/11 and I was
connected by the 6th.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"
Old February 18th 06, 12:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pooter

anon ] said
pooter wrote:

24 hours later, my new phone number appeared on the ADSL phone
line checker and I ordered broadband on Sunday.

I think your experience was perhaps one of the most favourable, when
compared with comments from others.

Well I can only speak about my own experience and point out that
generally it is only the bad luck stories that we get to read so the
actually situation could well be more favourable than you imagine.