Boost WiFi signal

Old February 13th 06, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
?uzzled

Default Boost WiFi signal

Hope somebody can help with this.

I have a Wanadoo livebox in the study downstairs. The signal is very weak
when I use a wireless laptop upstairs. What's the easiest way to boost the
signal of the livebox ? I can't move the livebox itself as it has to be
close to the phone socket and I don't want to use long phone extension
cables.

Was thinking of a wireless access point but which ones are compatible with
the livebox ?

Thanks for reading.

Old February 13th 06, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kraftee

?uzzled wrote:
Hope somebody can help with this.

I have a Wanadoo livebox in the study downstairs. The signal is very
weak when I use a wireless laptop upstairs. What's the easiest way
boost the signal of the livebox ? I can't move the livebox itself as
it has to be close to the phone socket and I don't want to use long
phone extension cables.

Was thinking of a wireless access point but which ones are
compatible
with the livebox ?

Thanks for reading.

Any wifi access point should be compatable & indeed there are some on
the market now which can act as a stand alone repeater..

Old February 14th 06, 08:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
?uzzled

"Kraftee" wrote in message

?uzzled wrote:
Hope somebody can help with this.

I have a Wanadoo livebox in the study downstairs. The signal is very
weak when I use a wireless laptop upstairs. What's the easiest way to
boost the signal of the livebox ? I can't move the livebox itself as
it has to be close to the phone socket and I don't want to use long
phone extension cables.

Was thinking of a wireless access point but which ones are compatible
with the livebox ?

Thanks for reading.

Any wifi access point should be compatable & indeed there are some on the
market now which can act as a stand alone repeater..

Any recommendations at all ? I heard you get less compatibility issues if
you buy kit from the same manufacturer. Also that Linksys stuff are not very
good. However, Wanadoo's livebox is of their own making so which AP/Repeater
do you suggest I get to go with it ?

Thanks

Old February 14th 06, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

?uzzled wrote:

Was thinking of a wireless access point but which ones are compatible
with the livebox ?

Any wifi access point should be compatable & indeed there are some on the
market now which can act as a stand alone repeater..

Any recommendations at all ?

Run Cat5 instead. But seriously, think about where you would place a
repeater if you bought one. Obviously it would have to be in a place where
the signal from your livebox is strong. You have an advantage in that you
can move your laptop about and find a place with decent signal strength to
put the repeeater.

I heard you get less compatibility issues if
you buy kit from the same manufacturer. Also that Linksys stuff are not
very good. However, Wanadoo's livebox is of their own making so which
AP/Repeater do you suggest I get to go with it ?

It's highly unlikely that Wanadoo manufacture their own kit, they probably
choose designs from an ODM and have them rebadged.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:16:33 up 20 days, 1:34, 2 users, load average: 0.58, 0.74, 0.49

Old February 14th 06, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SecretSquiddle

"?uzzled" wrote in message
Hope somebody can help with this.

I have a Wanadoo livebox in the study downstairs. The signal is very weak
when I use a wireless laptop upstairs. What's the easiest way to boost the
signal of the livebox ? I can't move the livebox itself as it has to be
close to the phone socket and I don't want to use long phone extension
cables.

Was thinking of a wireless access point but which ones are compatible with
the livebox ?

Thanks for reading.

Try putting the router upstairs (even if you need 10m of extension cable -
despite what others might say this does work). This might give you better
reception all round, as the higher the aerials are, the better coverage
you'll have.

OK, it's my own theory, but it's how my set up works, and I have full
coverage all over the house. If you're wondering why it's upstairs, it goes
back to when I had dial up, and the computer was in the upstairs study
(before it was replaced with two laptops)The line was already in place, and
it worked. Also on window sill in back bedroom (became a bedroom again
thanks to the laptops), so I can get great signal in the garden too.

You wouldn't put your TV Arial in the basement, would you?

My neighbour a few doors down has the opposite set up (router downstairs)
and doesn't have the same coverage upstairs and zero signal in his garden.
The houses, and the ADSL hardware are identical.

Just something for you to think about. I might not work for you, but it
wouldn't hurt to try. Run the phone extension cable through two open windows
to test before you start drilling. Actually I didn't drill at all (rented
house), all I did was run the cable round the edge of the room, under the
door, under the carpet and up the edge of the stairs.

**SS**

Old February 15th 06, 09:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Taylor

"?uzzled" wrote in message
Any recommendations at all ? I heard you get less compatibility issues if
you buy kit from the same manufacturer. Also that Linksys stuff are not
very good. However, Wanadoo's livebox is of their own making so which
AP/Repeater do you suggest I get to go with it ?

Thanks

Well, I don't agree there. Linksys stuff *can* be crap, but do your research
before hand, and it's fine. Running a wrt54g with custom firmware (hyperwrt
tofu) results in hundreds of features, and actually enabled the wrt54g to do
things that would normally require equipment worth about 500.

Some linksys stuff is of course complete tat, but this is why market
research on each product is so vital these days, i would be avoiding netgear
at all costs, i personally think belkin and 'buffalo' are good, but I do
networking every day of my life, so I'm swayed by what I find has hte lowest
fault rate, wall penetration*, etc.

* NB: Not sexual...

Old February 15th 06, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Taylor

"SecretSquiddle" wrote in message
[...]

Actually, the 'centre' of the house is best; some software/firmware for
routers si in existence that enables transmission power to be increased, ie:
from the nominal 21milli-watts, right up to 251 milli-watts. Obvioulsy you
would want to avoid going up excessively, but 81mw would result in better
transmission range, with not a huge increase in affective noise levels.

You wouldn't put a TV aerial in the basement, as it is receiving signals
over the air; that analogy is really not relevant here, it's completely
different technology. It's more sensitive to signal location due to the
distances the radio waves have travelled from the repeater station.

Anyhoo, getting it in the middle of the house, and/or altering the
transmission power is a rather good idea.

The OP stated they had a NETGEAR router; these I do believe have a setting
on them that means they can work better when signals are an issue. Disabling
the 'fast' 128 mode is probably good idea too.

Old February 15th 06, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , ?uzzled
writes
Hope somebody can help with this.

I have a Wanadoo livebox in the study downstairs. The signal is very weak
when I use a wireless laptop upstairs. What's the easiest way to boost the
signal of the livebox ? I can't move the livebox itself as it has to be
close to the phone socket and I don't want to use long phone extension
cables.

Was thinking of a wireless access point but which ones are compatible with
the livebox ?

Thanks for reading.

For really cheap try

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects...ate/index.html