Requirement for a system modem as well as Broadband modem?

Old February 14th 06, 06:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blair

Default Requirement for a system modem as well as Broadband modem?

I am in the process of purchasing a new PC and wondered if it is
necessary to have an internal modem fitted to the PC if I intend to use a
Broadband modem?
Blair

Old February 14th 06, 09:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian

Blair wrote:
I am in the process of purchasing a new PC and wondered if it is
necessary to have an internal modem fitted to the PC if I intend to
use a Broadband modem?
Blair

A better, more flexible approach, would be to have a broadband router.
--
Adrian A

Old February 14th 06, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Pearce

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 06:11:26 -0000, "Blair"
wrote:

I am in the process of purchasing a new PC and wondered if it is
necessary to have an internal modem fitted to the PC if I intend to use a
Broadband modem?

Only if you require to have a dial-up connection as a backup.
Old February 14th 06, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"Blair" wrote in
:

I am in the process of purchasing a new PC and wondered if it is
necessary to have an internal modem fitted to the PC if I intend to
use a Broadband modem?

If you already have, or are already planning on getting a broadband
modem then you will not need anything else. As Steve indicated, any
internal modem that gets included with a PC is most likely to be an
analogue modem for old fashioned dialup. This will be of absolutely no
used to a broadband connection but can be used for backups incase the
DSL is not working. If however the system you are looking at has an
internal DSL modem included (though I find that unlikely) then you will
be able to just use that without the need for an additional broadband
modem.

--
Colin
Old February 14th 06, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joker7

"Blair" wrote in message
: I am in the process of purchasing a new PC and wondered if it is
: necessary to have an internal modem fitted to the PC if I intend to use a
: Broadband modem?
: Blair
:
:
Only as a back-up to use dial-up if broadband goes down.You may also need it
if you use the PC for faxing.

Chris

--
Cheap As Chips Broadband http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk

Old February 14th 06, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Blair

"cw" wrote in message
"Blair" wrote in
:

I am in the process of purchasing a new PC and wondered if it is
necessary to have an internal modem fitted to the PC if I intend to
use a Broadband modem?

If you already have, or are already planning on getting a broadband
modem then you will not need anything else. As Steve indicated, any
internal modem that gets included with a PC is most likely to be an
analogue modem for old fashioned dialup. This will be of absolutely no
used to a broadband connection but can be used for backups incase the
DSL is not working. If however the system you are looking at has an
internal DSL modem included (though I find that unlikely) then you will
be able to just use that without the need for an additional broadband
modem.

--
Colin

Thanks to you and others for your helpful reply.
I do have broadband at present and Dell give the option of not fitting an
internal modem.
I have therefore decided to order the Dell without a modem
Thanks
Blair

Old February 14th 06, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Blair" wrote in message

[snip]

Thanks to you and others for your helpful reply.
I do have broadband at present and Dell give the option
of not fitting an internal modem.
I have therefore decided to order the Dell without a modem
Thanks
Blair

It's always worth having one, as others have said you might want to use
dialup if broadband falls over or you might want to send a fax. I have a
Dell machine, I can't recall if not having the modem saved much money..?

Ivor

Old February 14th 06, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

Blair wrote:

I am in the process of purchasing a new PC and wondered if it is
necessary to have an internal modem fitted to the PC if I intend
to use a Broadband modem?

Not at all necessary, but can be handy if ever your connection is
down and you need to check/send e-mail urgently, or if you want a
way to send a fax direct from your PC.

If you do opt to have one, o keep it unplugged to avoid any rogue
dialler programmes (dialling 09x numbers, at 100 to 150p/minute!)

I keep an external modem, which can be put to use on any PC (even
lent out, if necessary), with visual indication of going online.